Author Topic: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'  (Read 15791 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 02:24:22 pm »
Are you truly that insecure about the strength of our culture?

What are you going to do, fine me when I say "Adios" to you?

YOU are the worlds master at twisting, or attempting to twist, someones words into saying something that they never said! Did you even READ what I wrote?

Try again Luis!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 02:27:05 pm »
YOU are the worlds master at twisting, or attempting to twist, someones words into saying something that they never said! Did you even READ what I wrote?

Try again Luis!

Then explain the purpose of making English the "official" language of a nation where 90% of the people speak English.

What exactly would that accomplish and what useful purpose would it serve?

Maybe it's not so much me being the master of twisting anything, but rather you being the Yodda of inane ideas.

Ben Franklin thought that German immigrants were too stupid to learn English and assimilate into the society, and feared they would bring down the national government.

He was wrong then, you all are wrong now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:28:49 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »
Then explain the purpose of making English the "official" language of a nation where 90% of the people speak English.

What exactly would that accomplish and what useful purpose would it serve?

Maybe it's not so much me being the master of twisting anything, but rather you being the Yodda of inane ideas.

Would your saying Adios to me be any sort of official government communication Luis?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 02:36:09 pm »
Would your saying Adios to me be any sort of official government communication Luis?

People qualify for citizenship either 3 or 5 years after being in the country legally, depending on whether or not they're married to a US citizen.

To younger immigrants that's sufficient time to achieve English proficiency, but not to older immigrants.

What purpose would not making official documents, ballots and other Federal and State forms more easily understood to legal immigrants and naturalized citizens serve?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2015, 02:41:54 pm »
We are all immigrants to this land if you go back far enough. But, Luis, you are just in your defense of immigrant communities. I understand your point, you made it well. I am from the immigrant community and I understand. I have a dear aunt living in Brooklyn 60 years. Still doesn't speak a word of English. Wonderful, jovial personality, but here 60 years without English skills–and a citizen!

My charming girlfriend is Hungarian and one who struggles mightily to learn English but is failing to progress no matter how many classes, computer programs and books she studies and practices.

Take a short walk around my office and you encounter languages such as Chinese, Korean, Hebrew, Spanish, Romanian, Russian, Albanian, Middle Eastern and a half dozen other languages I can't make out.

So, I am particularly attuned to the immigrant/language/assimilation issue. It doesn't change my opinion however that people who come to America should learn English. History teaches that nations disintegrate exactly for reasons of lack of common cultural markers like language and shared history communicated through language and customs.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
BTW... as long as we're all having a discussion about "our culture" as it pertains to Hispanics as part of that culture, I'd like to share this will all of you:

That's a picture of the oldest house in the oldest city in the North American continent.

The Gonzalez-Alvarez house in St. Augustine.

Now, let's resume the discussion about OUR culture.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 02:46:36 pm »
People qualify for citizenship either 3 or 5 years after being in the country legally, depending on whether or not they're married to a US citizen.

To younger immigrants that's sufficient time to achieve English proficiency, but not to older immigrants.

What purpose would not making official documents, ballots and other Federal and State forms more easily understood to legal immigrants and naturalized citizens serve?

Non responsive answer to the question I asked Luis! Which get's exactly to the point of your attempting to twist other peoples words to say something they never actually said!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:46:52 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »

No, immigrants qualify for citizenship after they pass a test on English, history and government.
So why is it necessary to pay the extraordinary cost of printing documents/signs/ballots in multiple languages?
If you don't want to be hyphenated, then why do I need to accommodate multiple languages?

I am scotch, Irish, German, English and Cherokee and my family was here before the revolution so that and $5 buys me coffee at Starbucks.
My association with Vietnam has cost me tons more than your Hispanic heritage ever did.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 02:48:26 pm »
We are all immigrants to this land if you go back far enough. But, Luis, you are just in your defense of immigrant communities. I understand your point, you made it well. I am from the immigrant community and I understand. I have a dear aunt living in Brooklyn 60 years. Still doesn't speak a word of English. Wonderful, jovial personality, but here 60 years without English skills–and a citizen!

My charming girlfriend is Hungarian and one who struggles mightily to learn English but is failing to progress no matter how many classes, computer programs and books she studies and practices.

Take a short walk around my office and you encounter languages such as Chinese, Korean, Hebrew, Spanish, Romanian, Russian, Albanian, Middle Eastern and a half dozen other languages I can't make out.

So, I am particularly attuned to the immigrant/language/assimilation issue. It doesn't change my opinion however that people who come to America should learn English. History teaches that nations disintegrate exactly for reasons of lack of common cultural markers like language and shared history communicated through language and customs.

And I don't disagree with that in the least bit, but the histrionics about Jeb speaking some Spanish and saying that he has some common ground with Hispanics are beyond comprehension.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:48:42 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 02:51:50 pm »
Non responsive answer to the question I asked Luis! Which get's exactly to the point of your attempting to twist other peoples words to say something they never actually said!

Try reading my posts slower Bigun, the accent may be throwing you off.

Saying "adios" in a government form may assist LEGAL immigrants and naturalized citizens who have yet to achieve the level of English proficiency required to navigate through government forms, effectively navigate those forms.

What useful purpose will it serve to NOT give them assistance in doing that?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2015, 02:53:59 pm »
No, immigrants qualify for citizenship after they pass a test on English, history and government.
So why is it necessary to pay the extraordinary cost of printing documents/signs/ballots in multiple languages?
If you don't want to be hyphenated, then why do I need to accommodate multiple languages?

I am scotch, Irish, German, English and Cherokee and my family was here before the revolution so that and $5 buys me coffee at Starbucks.
My association with Vietnam has cost me tons more than your Hispanic heritage ever did.

Those immigrants pay taxes. They shoulder the costs of those documents.

I don't want t be hyphenated. I am hyphenated against my will, then you criticize my being hyphenated.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2015, 02:54:05 pm »
Try reading my posts slower Bigun, the accent may be throwing you off.

Saying "adios" in a government form may assist LEGAL immigrants and naturalized citizens who have yet to achieve the level of English proficiency required to navigate through government forms, effectively navigate those forms.

What useful purpose will it serve to NOT give them assistance in doing that?

Still non responsive to the question asked Luis!  Why won't you answer that simple question Luis?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:10 pm »
Still non responsive to the question asked Luis!  Why won't you answer that simple question Luis?

I did Bigun.

I can craft a response to your question, but I can't make you understand it.

Offline Relic

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:45 pm »
When the Italians came, they didn't demand Italian ballots, and a bi lingual president to speak Italian to them.

When the Irish came, they didn't demand Italian ballots, and a bi lingual president to speak Irish to them.

But now, for some reason, as the Spanish are coming, we are supposed to embrace, celebrate, and assiliate to their language and culture. Sort of reminds me of another group that comes to a country, and as their numbers become large enough, they demand the host country bend to their ways. That would be the muslim way.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2015, 03:06:40 pm »
The key word here is "assimilation".  Many Hispanics (and other migrants) expect us to learn Spanish (primary language).  If that was NOT the case, why oh why is Spanish a requirement in our schools?  Secondly, Jeb didn't just mutter a few words in Spanish, but his entire address to the public was in Spanish. 

I am 50% Slovak and 50% Croatian.  I am the second generation to this country.  However, my grandparents came here legally.  My grandfather came over first and then my grandmother several years later.  They worked hard and learned the language.  They did not receive free housing, free food, free medical, nor would they expect to or accept it.  That is the difference in a nut shell to the generation now here and/or coming over (illegally or legally).  They expect free government hand outs and expect to be addressed in Spanish.  That is not assimilation that is being greedy, invasive and demanding...and most are proud to be and expect to be titled "Hispanic-Americans" or "Latino-Americans"., etc.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:55 pm »
When the Italians came, they didn't demand Italian ballots, and a bi lingual president to speak Italian to them.

When the Irish came, they didn't demand Italian ballots, and a bi lingual president to speak Irish to them.

But now, for some reason, as the Spanish are coming, we are supposed to embrace, celebrate, and assiliate to their language and culture. Sort of reminds me of another group that comes to a country, and as their numbers become large enough, they demand the host country bend to their ways. That would be the muslim way.

Demagoguery yet once again.

Where not "coming".

We've been here since the day that three Spanish galleons discovered the "New World".

Our States have Spanish names: Florida (flowerful) , Nevada (Snowy), Colorado (reddish), Tejas (ceiling tiles), Arizona (Zona Arida - dry zone).

We are (and have been) an integral part of the culture since day one.

Yesterday, I ate a bagel for breakfast, sushi for lunch and a nice chicken cacciatiore for dinner. We've embraced, assimilated and celebrated many cultures. We will do the same for every culture.

Who is demanding that Jeb speak Spanish?

No one.

Some however, are condemning the fact that he speaks another language.

Sad.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:18:19 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2015, 03:18:52 pm »
The key word here is "assimilation".  Many Hispanics (and other migrants) expect us to learn Spanish (primary language).  If that was NOT the case, why oh why is Spanish a requirement in our schools?  Secondly, Jeb didn't just mutter a few words in Spanish, but his entire address to the public was in Spanish. 

I am 50% Slovak and 50% Croatian.  I am the second generation to this country.  However, my grandparents came here legally.  My grandfather came over first and then my grandmother several years later.  They worked hard and learned the language.  They did not receive free housing, free food, free medical, nor would they expect to or accept it.  That is the difference in a nut shell to the generation now here and/or coming over (illegally or legally).  They expect free government hand outs and expect to be addressed in Spanish.  That is not assimilation that is being greedy, invasive and demanding...and most are proud to be and expect to be titled "Hispanic-Americans" or "Latino-Americans"., etc.

BS.

Histrionics.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2015, 03:21:50 pm »

A foreign language, ANY foreign language is a requirement in our schools.

I took French because I wasn't allowed the easy "A" in Spanish.

Are you against learning a foreign language?

Do you see expanding your knwledge as an affront to your Americanism?

Secondly, Jeb didn't just mutter a few words in Spanish, but his entire address to the public was in Spanish. 

When?

Give me a link to that story.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:24:15 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »
Personalmente, no tengo ningunos problemas que Senor Bush hable en espanol.  Deseo que todos los politicos hablen en espanol porque tendrian mas sentido que hacen ahora.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2015, 03:23:06 pm »
BTW... as long as we're all having a discussion about "our culture" as it pertains to Hispanics as part of that culture, I'd like to share this will all of you:

That's a picture of the oldest house in the oldest city in the North American continent.

The Gonzalez-Alvarez house in St. Augustine.

Now, let's resume the discussion about OUR culture.

Sure we can discuss all you want about American culture, history, etc.,  However, your claim regarding the house above is simply not true. The Pickering House in MA is older and doesn't seem to have much of a Spanish influence.  Regardless, neither has anything to do with assimilation.

http://pickeringhouse.org/

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question53424.html

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/32020/americas-oldest-house-is-haunted/

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/558008/Spanish-American-War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 03:24:32 pm »
Personalmente, no tengo ningunos problemas que Senor Bush hable en espanol.  Deseo que todos los politicos hablen en espanol porque tendrian mas sentido que hacen ahora.

Bravo.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
Demagoguery yet once again.

Where not "coming".

We've been here since the day that three Spanish galleons discovered the "New World".

Our States have Spanish names: Florida (flowerful) , Nevada (Snowy), Colorado (reddish), Tejas (ceiling tiles), Arizona (Zona Arida - dry zone).

We are (and have been) an integral part of the culture since day one.

So in the words of your bushy
“I’ve never felt like the sins of the parents should be ascribed to the children, you know,” Bush said in 2013. “If your children always have to pay the price
for adults decisions they make — how fair is that?

So, you believe in retribution?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »
I did Bigun.

I can craft a response to your question, but I can't make you understand it.

NO! You absolutely did not as any reasonable person reading this will easily see! YOU are doing everything possible to skirt the issue!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »
Sure we can discuss all you want about American culture, history, etc.,  However, your claim regarding the house above is simply not true. The Pickering House in MA is older and doesn't seem to have much of a Spanish influence.  Regardless, neither has anything to do with assimilation.

http://pickeringhouse.org/

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question53424.html

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/32020/americas-oldest-house-is-haunted/

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/558008/Spanish-American-War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War

Now, I have to question your English proficiency.

St. Augustine is the oldest and longest-standing city in the North American continent, is it not?

It was settled in 1513.

The Gonzalez House was built in 1625. The Pickering House was (according to your own links) built in 1651.

Was math not a requirement when you went to school?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:34:42 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2015, 03:33:46 pm »
NO! You absolutely did not as any reasonable person reading this will easily see! YOU are doing everything possible to skirt the issue!

Bigun, either read my responsaes or leave me alone.

Here's my direct quote: