Author Topic: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'  (Read 15790 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:38 pm »
Yes, it is sad that critical thinking and moral character are outmoded. You'd benefit from adopting such relics.

Don't flatter yourself.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2015, 06:58:43 pm »
Gentlemen, please stop.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2015, 06:59:47 pm »
Just wanted to mention the predominant language I hear at work is Russian. Over the last 15-years I've had to learn quite a bit in order to interact with patients. That's Forest Hils, Little Odessa, New York.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2015, 07:01:34 pm »
Hey, people! This issue is not just about Spanish.

Offline flowers

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2015, 07:13:40 pm »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2015, 07:15:18 pm »
Did you read the post upthread where I mentioned the dozens of languages (spoken and written) near my office?

Well, should newly arrived Pakistanis concentrate on learning English or Spanish, or the predominant language spoken in the neighborhood? Which language would you suggest?
I meant to say, but didn't say very well, that Spanish is in effect a regional/provincial language in the USA, in a manner similar to French in Canada, Breton in Brittany, Finnish in Sweden, etc.

IOW a language of a large subset of the population, usually derived from geographical proximity, etc.

Here in SoCal we have many immigrants. But we also have many native born Hispanic origin/identity people.

Among children of immigrants in America today, I believe most of them would agree on two things: a) Learn and use English to the fullest extent possible, and b) Retain the language of your parents/ancestors if possible.

Every time the subject of immigration comes up in the USA, the result is the Republican/conservative side pushes away potential supporters.

But of course the ones pushing hardest are "right," even though they harm their cause. This is a repeat of previous performances. Learning from previous mistakes is not a conservative characteristic. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:34:04 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:13 pm »
Geesh.....leave for several hours to get some work done and once again, come back to another penis measuring contest.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2015, 01:12:12 am »
It is odd when Latinos wave the flag of Cuba and Mexico, while demanding 'their rights' in America.

It is odd when Luis and others like him shout themselves hoarse yelling, "We are Americans!!" OK, fine. Then why shit yourself when someone has the audacity to declare that they want an 'American' President?

If they are as "American" as they claim to be, why would they oppose an 'American' President?

The answer is easy. They want to continue to enjoy the pro-illegal bias currently infesting D.C., and they fear that if a real American were elected, all of that would go away.

One thing this thread has accomplished, is that it really has drawn out who Luis really is inside. He is pro-American as long as America goes along with him and how he thinks. But if anyone should tell him, "this is America dammit! Speak English!".

Then, at that point, he is ready to kick America's ass.

His version of what he views as what America is, is important. And if you disagree with that, then you deserve to get your dose of vulgarity for the day.

I have read this site for over a year, and I never knew he was that way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:26:11 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2015, 01:25:43 am »
It is odd when Latinos wave the flag of Cuba and Mexico, while demanding 'their rights' in America.

It is odd when Luis and others like him shout themselves hoarse yelling, "We are Americans!!" OK, fine. Then why would you shit yourself when someone has the audacity to declare that they want an 'American' President?

If they are as "American" as they claim to be, why would they oppose an 'American' President?

The answer is easy. They want to continue to enjoy the pro-illegal bias currently infesting D.C., and they fear that if a real American were elected, all of that would go away.

One thing this thread has accomplished, is that it really has drawn out who Luis really is inside. He is pro-American as long as America goes along with him and how he thinks. But if anyone should tell him, "this is America dammit! Speak English!".

Then, at that point, he is ready to kick America's ass.

His version of what he views as what America is, is important. And if you disagree with that, then you deserve to get your dose of vulgarity for the day.

I have read this site for over a year, and I never knew he was that way.

How is Jeb Bush NOT an American President?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:28:12 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2015, 01:36:17 am »
Of course you are American. Nobody is arguing that.
Of course Jeb is American. Nobody is arguing that.

The point is, that Jeb Bush is making a point to say that if you elect 'me', I will represent Latinos in America. He has already said that he thinks illegals are not illegal at all, but are to be revered and extolled. He has already said that he thinks illegals are better workers, more entrepreneurial, they are simply better people than you and me. And all of that is good.

But if the illegals are so great, then who built the country that they all want to come to? Was it them? But wait, they were not even here. So who built it?

The people who built it want a voice. And we do not want another freakin' shill for illegal immigration. And that is what Jeb is painting himself into.

Who represents America and Americans? We have tons of Liberals ready to support and defend illegals, who represents us?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2015, 01:41:09 am »
Of course you are American. Nobody is arguing that.
Of course Jeb is American. Nobody is arguing that.

The point is, that Jeb Bush is making a point to say that if you elect 'me', I will represent Latinos in America. He has already said that he thinks illegals are not illegal at all, but are to be revered and extolled. He has already said that he thinks illegals are better workers, more entrepreneurial, they are simply better people than you and me. And all of that is good.

But if the illegals are so great, then who built the country that they all want to come to? Was it them? But wait, they were not even here. So who built it?

The people who built it want a voice. And we do not want another freakin' shill for illegal immigration. And that is what Jeb is painting himself into.

Who represents America and Americans? We have tons of Liberals ready to support and defend illegals, who represents us?

Great Post....

Offline Carling

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2015, 02:15:11 am »

Our States have Spanish names: Florida (flowerful) , Nevada (Snowy), Colorado (reddish), Tejas (ceiling tiles), Arizona (Zona Arida - dry zone).

Don't forget the state where I went to middle school and high school ... MONTANA!  I can't believe I lived in a state with a Spanish name.  Why, my poor mom still lives there!  How un-American of her!   :silly:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2015, 02:18:38 am »
Hey, I just call them the way I see them. Sorry if I hit a nerve, wait, no I'm not.
Your rants are becoming less defensible, and you are appearing to become a bit unhinged.
It's kind of fun to watch.

I find your La Raza comment to Luis to be completely uncalled for, and unbecoming of a member of this board.  NOTHING that Luis has ever posted here, in any way, shows that he's a Hispanic racist.

You scraped the gutter with that one.  Just awful, not only because it's stupid, but also because if you read Luis' posts, you'd know he's 100% the opposite of La Raza.

Offline Carling

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2015, 02:22:50 am »
And this debate started because Jeb dared to speak a little Spanish? 

Yeah, it's quite scary, yet some of the same people believe that Hispanic immigrant Ted Cruz is the best choice for president.   :shrug:

Offline Carling

« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2015, 02:24:55 am »
That's a cute take on a stereotype that is often used for ridicule over at DU.

You're a lot of fun there, burrito boy.

If these types of personal attacks are going to be allowed here, I'm leaving this forum.  It's racist, it's ugly, and it's the sign of an extremely sick individual who offers no value at all to this community.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2015, 02:28:59 am »
It's not allowed here and I am closing this thread..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2015, 02:33:29 am »
I find your La Raza comment to Luis to be completely uncalled for, and unbecoming of a member of this board.  NOTHING that Luis has ever posted here, in any way, shows that he's a Hispanic racist.

You scraped the gutter with that one.  Just awful, not only because it's stupid, but also because if you read Luis' posts, you'd know he's 100% the opposite of La Raza.

There are only a couple members who I try to read every post I come across.  Luis is one of them.  His passions and sensitivities can frustrate and he will return fire oftentimes too readily.  He can piss me off like few others.  But he is learned, insightful and willing to support his viewpoints with research.  He is decidedly NOT La Raza.  He has made me reflective and introspective on issues that I thought I had complete understanding.  THAT has value for me to participate in a forum.  I have a unique appreciation of his roots - and his background - because one of my dearest friends ever had a virtually parallel experience immigrating as a boy from Cuba.  I respect him immensely.  I am glad he is here.  And when he offers perspective from the Hispanic community, I pay attention.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck