Author Topic: Gen. Michael Flynn: Radical Islamic Enemy Has Doubled in 10 Years  (Read 9622 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=623473

Newsmax
Gen. Michael Flynn: Radical Islamic Enemy Has Doubled in 10 Years
Sunday, February 8, 2015 12:34 PM

By: Greg Richter

The threat from radical Islam has at least doubled in the past decade while Washington refuses to even admit the enemy exists, former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn said Sunday.

The world is facing a "cancerous component of the Islamic religion" with a fanaticism that opposes the free world's way of life, Flynn said on "Fox News Sunday."

"The wolf pack closest to the sled is ISIS, but there are other wolf packs around the world right now that are actually part of this larger expanding, violent extremist version of Islam," Flynn said.

Meanwhile, the American public is looking for "moral and intellectual courage and clarity, and not a sense of … passivity or confusion," from Washington, he said.

Flynn, who retired last summer, wouldn't pin the problem on the White House alone or on a single party, though Republicans and a growing number of Democrats have been critical of President Barack Obama's administration for failing to use the term "radical Islam" in defining the enemy.

"I think that there's confusion about what it is that we're facing," Flynn told Fox News. "It's not just what has been defined as 40,000 fighters in the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. It's also a large segment within this radical version of Islam that is threatening our way of life."

Pointing to a map showing the spread of violent Islamic extremism stretching across the Middle East and northern Africa, Flynn said, "Ten years ago I was drawing that map and there's only two or three dots on it. Today, what you're seeing on a map like that is a doubling of the enemy … a doubling or more."

America's counter-terrorism strategy for the past decade is only one component of an overall strategy, he said.

"We need a much broader strategy that recognizes that we're facing not just this tactical problem of ISIS in Iraq and Syria, … but we're facing a growing and expanding threat around the world in some cases."

The current strategy, he said, has not been working.

"You can't defeat an enemy that you don't admit exists," he said.

Obama has been criticized from Republicans and Christian leaders for his statement at last week's National Prayer Breakfast. He said Christians shouldn't get on a "high horse" over violent actions currently being taken in the name of Islam since Christianity has a past history with the Crusades and the Inquisition.

Were he still on the job and knew about Obama's plan to invoke the Crusades, Flynn said, "I would have recommended that he talk about something else."

"We are not about religions fighting religions," he said. "What we are about is the greater good of the people of this planet, particularly this country, fighting against this evil that exists. And this evil that exists is inside of this religion."

Radical Islam, like other ideologies America has faced such as Nazism and communism, must be defeated, he said. But unlike Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's leadership in World War II, there is no one in taking control now, Flynn said.

"If everybody's in charge, nobody's in charge," he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Gen. Michael Flynn: Radical Islamic Enemy Has Doubled in 10 Years
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »
So despite all of our efforts so far, radical Islam has only gained momentum. Hmm... :pondering: Clearly the best course of action is more war. Sooner or later our enemy will stop multiplying in response to our involvement, right?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:18:38 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:38:56 pm »
So despite all of our efforts so far, radical Islam has only gained momentum. Hmm... :pondering: Clearly the best course of action is more war. Sooner or later our enemy will stop multiplying in response to our involvement, right?

What efforts? We haven't made any serious effort to deal with this and certainly aren't doing so now which is, I believe, what the General is trying to tell us!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:57:04 pm »
What efforts? We haven't made any serious effort to deal with this and certainly aren't doing so now which is, I believe, what the General is trying to tell us!

How could we do it better? People here imply that we were taking it easy on the terrorists, but that's ridiculous. If we knew where the terrorists were we turned their buildings into rubble. The problem is not being able to tell who is good and who is bad, so the only way to more effectively deal with the problem would be laying waste to entire cities.
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 02:13:33 am »
How could we do it better? People here imply that we were taking it easy on the terrorists, but that's ridiculous. If we knew where the terrorists were we turned their buildings into rubble. The problem is not being able to tell who is good and who is bad, so the only way to more effectively deal with the problem would be laying waste to entire cities.

For starters we can stop ignoring the elephant in the room (Iran) and get with the program!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 02:42:26 am »
For starters we can stop ignoring the elephant in the room (Iran) and get with the program!

That is thinking in the past. Today, the bigger elephant is the terrorists spokesman and chief apologist, Obama. Until Obama is gone, nothing will be done (by America) to stop the violent march of radical Islam.

And now, it looks like he is going to help Iran develop Nukes. Incredibly dangerous times we are in.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:43:19 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 02:48:59 am »
That is thinking in the past. Today, the bigger elephant is the terrorists spokesman and chief apologist, Obama. Until Obama is gone, nothing will be done (by America) to stop the violent march of radical Islam.

And now, it looks like he is going to help Iran develop Nukes. Incredibly dangerous times we are in.

And when O is finally gone Iran will still be there with their position in the region very much enhanced.

We are going to have to deal with them sooner or later and, as you have rightly pointed out, it's not going to be sooner so the fall out will be very much greater when later finally gets here!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:51:13 am »
 :facepalm2:
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 02:58:56 am »
:facepalm2:

Facepalm all you want junior! Just don't forget that you were told what was coming.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:13:51 am »

Since we are all wrong, what should we do?
Surrender?

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:27 am »
Why is it supposed to be called "radical" Islam?

ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Harem, and other Muslim groups are literally following the teachings of Muhammad, as spelled out in the Koran.  That's not up for debate.  If Jesus had beheaded enemies, burned down villages, and been a pedophile (all of which Muhammad is depicted as doing in the Koran), I'd be anti-Christian. 

I'm not religious, but from my CCD/altar boy days, I don't recall reading about Jesus doing anything other than telling Peter to sheathe his sword, even as Jesus was being arrested. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 03:30:37 am »
Dex wrote above:
[[ So despite all of our efforts so far, radical Islam has only gained momentum. Hmm... :pondering: Clearly the best course of action is more war. Sooner or later our enemy will stop multiplying in response to our involvement, right? ]]

Dex, your post harkens back to the anti-war movement of the late 1960's and early 70's. Why fight? War only begets war, right?

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/1/110432.shtml

Gen. Giap Thanks Kerry & Co. for Anti-war Protests

Celebrating the 29th anniversary of the fall of Saigon, the North Vietnamese general who led his forces to victory said Friday he was grateful to leaders of the U.S. anti-war movement, one of whom was presidential candidate John Kerry.

"I would like to thank them," said Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap, now 93, without mentioning Kerry by name. "Any forces that wish to impose their will on other nations will surely fail," he added.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 03:30:43 am »
Since we are all wrong, what should we do?
Surrender?

Despite all of our best intentions and the hard work of our military we have been unable to improve the situation in the Middle East after decades of trying. All our involvement has done is create more hatred towards the United States. They want us out of their countries and out of their lives, and I do too. I think we should shut down military bases all over the world, downsize our military as one part of a government shrinking process and focus our time and energy on improving our own lives and country rather than worrying about babysitting the rest of the world.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:10 am »
Dex wrote above:
[[ So despite all of our efforts so far, radical Islam has only gained momentum. Hmm... :pondering: Clearly the best course of action is more war. Sooner or later our enemy will stop multiplying in response to our involvement, right? ]]

Dex, your post harkens back to the anti-war movement of the late 1960's and early 70's. Why fight? War only begets war, right?

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/1/110432.shtml

Gen. Giap Thanks Kerry & Co. for Anti-war Protests

Celebrating the 29th anniversary of the fall of Saigon, the North Vietnamese general who led his forces to victory said Friday he was grateful to leaders of the U.S. anti-war movement, one of whom was presidential candidate John Kerry.

"I would like to thank them," said Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap, now 93, without mentioning Kerry by name. "Any forces that wish to impose their will on other nations will surely fail," he added.

Fighting unwinnable wars is a waste of time, resources and most importantly lives.
-Socrates

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 03:35:35 am »
Dex wrote above:
[[ How could we do it better? People here imply that we were taking it easy on the terrorists, but that's ridiculous. If we knew where the terrorists were we turned their buildings into rubble ]]

Your post reveals that you have learned nothing in the thirteen+ years since the World Trade Center attack. (either that, or you're just being disingenuous)

The "terrorists" are but this season's crop of bad apples of the real enemy we face.

Get rid of this year's apples -- every one -- and there will only be more next year.

Our tactical fight may be with "the apples".

But our real struggle is with "the tree" from which they spring.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 03:36:56 am »
Dex wrote above:
[[ How could we do it better? People here imply that we were taking it easy on the terrorists, but that's ridiculous. If we knew where the terrorists were we turned their buildings into rubble ]]

Your post reveals that you have learned nothing in the thirteen+ years since the World Trade Center attack. (either that, or you're just being disingenuous)

The "terrorists" are but this season's crop of bad apples of the real enemy we face.

Get rid of this year's apples -- every one -- and there will only be more next year.

Our tactical fight may be with "the apples".

But our real struggle is with "the tree" from which they spring.

How do you suggest we deal with the tree?
-Socrates

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 03:37:59 am »
Despite all of our best intentions and the hard work of our military we have been unable to improve the situation in the Middle East after decades of trying. All our involvement has done is create more hatred towards the United States. They want us out of their countries and out of their lives, and I do too. I think we should shut down military bases all over the world, downsize our military as one part of a government shrinking process and focus our time and energy on improving our own lives and country rather than worrying about babysitting the rest of the world.

That certainly sounds like surrender to me.  I am too old to learn a new language, no thanks.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 03:38:08 am »
Fighting unwinnable wars is a waste of time, resources and most importantly lives.

...but these are winnable wars if they would let us...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 03:42:57 am »

Our intentions, good or otherwise,  aren't worth spit unless they are backed up with REAL determined ACTIONS!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 03:44:20 am »

How do we win?
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 03:44:47 am »

No different than Vietnam or any other military action the U.S. has been involved in since!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 03:46:08 am »
How do we win?

Simple! We make up our minds that we are going to do what needs to be done and DO IT!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 03:52:41 am »
How do we win?

My husband trained for over 40 years on how to kill and blow things up..let the military do their job and they will give you a victory..instead the politicians in DC issue the orders and ROE...but they are afraid to unleash all this military power they helped create...
Support the USO

Offline Dexter

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 03:52:47 am »
Simple! We make up our minds that we are going to do what needs to be done and DO IT!

What needs to be done?
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 03:54:24 am »
My husband trained for over 40 years on how to kill and blow things up..let the military do their job and they will give you a victory..instead the politicians in DC issue the orders and ROE...but they are afraid to unleash all this military power they helped create...

What does the military need to do that it has not been allowed to do so far? Cull civilian populations? We did not hold back when we knew who we were fighting; the problem is trying to figure out who you're supposed to be fighting.
-Socrates