Author Topic: The ‘New York Accent’ Is About To Become Extinct, And Linguists Think They Know Why  (Read 4200 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
by John Brodigan • February 5, 2015

New York (often pronounced nu-YAWK) and New Yorkers are known for their very distinctive accent.

It’s an accent, though, that many linguists say is becoming extinct, an argument that filmmaker Heather Quinlan explores in her latest project, If These Knishes Could Talk.

“Knishes” offers a broader obituary: the New York accent is being displaced, a casualty of internal migration and television, where actors work hard to sound like they’re from Des Moines or Topeka. Quinlan had gone looking for bastions of survival.

Another reason why linguists believe the accent is fading away? A rapid influx of wealthier outsiders into Manhattan, which has flattened out the accents that once defined New York City.

Excerpted from The Independent Journal Review.
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/02/245913-new-york-accent-become-extinct-linguists-think-know/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
During my Army service, there was a fellow in my office that was from some borough of NYC.

He had such a strong accent, that when he spoke fast from across the room, none of the rest of us could understand him.

And that really pissed him off. He sounded like he was trying to talk, with mashed potatoes in his mouth.

I have a brother-in-law that hails from a New Jersey suburb of NYC, and he has a predictable strong accent, but we can understand him.

Out here in the "no accent" west, I can discern a few regional quirks. For instance I can sometimes detect a Utah accent, partly because I have had relatives from there. Same for Wyoming.

But like the article suggests, those would be natives. Inbound transfers could be from, anywhere.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I hate to see dialects go away - how long did it take to cultivate it?  I know how to talk without my heavy Eastern Kentucky twang (we were always taught to "lose" the accent  on a job interview) - but I continue to proudly speak my native tongue - in remembrance of my forefathers - how long did it take to cultivate that?

New Yorkers - you gotta keep it alive!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline PzLdr

'New York accent about to become extinct'? B*llsh*t! 'Linguists think they know why'? F*ck 'em!. New York enough for ya? And as long as that lovely word indicating an Oedipal relationship exists [our greatest contribution to American], the New York accent will never die.

A New Yorker
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
It will be whacked by a Jersey accent hitslang.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

'New York accent about to become extinct'? B*llsh*t! 'Linguists think they know why'? F*ck 'em!. New York enough for ya? And as long as that lovely word indicating an Oedipal relationship exists [our greatest contribution to American], the New York accent will never die.

A New Yorker

I like it!

Online mountaineer

Alice, my late father was from a little town near Charleston, WV, but when he decided to go into broadcasting, he really had to work hard to lose the accent. I don't know what he sounded like before he trained himself to speak neutrally, but I know what a twang his older sister - my aunt - had!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

Alice, my late father was from a little town near Charleston, WV, but when he decided to go into broadcasting, he really had to work hard to lose the accent. I don't know what he sounded like before he trained himself to speak neutrally, but I know what a twang his older sister - my aunt - had!

That's funny!  I wish I had recorded my Pappaw's voice!  We had trouble understanding it sometimes.  He loved to tell stories too.

Offline PzLdr

I like it!

Try this one: Face Linguist. With one hand [usually the left one] grab the front of your pants you know where. State loudly and clearly, " I got your accent extinction right here!"
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Would that be pronounced "I gotch yer accennnt extinctshun rat heah?"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:22:59 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Lando Lincoln

Here is an accent story unrelated to New York so I'll apologize in advance. 

I was on a business trip to Louisville, Kentucky and waiting in the quiet hotel bar for an associate.  There was a late-50ish couple and their adult daughter laughing it up with the bartender over his accent.  It was obvious to me that the topic was becoming tedious with the bartender.  Anyway, I finally chimed in and said to the threesome, "you're from Wisconsin, aren't you?"  They seemed startled and said yes and asked how I knew.  I replied, "your accent".  They were dumbstruck.  The bartender was pleased.

(They were from Sheboygan, Wisconsin.)
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline PzLdr

Would that be pronounced "I gotch yer accennnt extinctshun rat heah?"

Except for the "rat heah". That's southern. And the "Gotch yer" is one word.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
My wife is from Texas.  After we moved to Pennsylvania her Texas twang gradually faded.  But every time she meets a fellow Texan, it comes right back.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I once was required to visit the building at 1185 Ave. of the Americas with some regularity and was always greeted with "Hey Tex! whear'd ya pock ya hoose this time!" when I walked into the office.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

Funny stories.  I have found when I travel that my accent can become the topic of a conversation.  I remember we stayed at a quaint whaling captain's mansion in Bar Harbor, Maine.  There was a nice bar, and there we found ourselves conversing with several people from Maine and Massachusetts.  You can imagine what a room full of accents that was!  LOL!

But, whose "accent" do they focus on?  Mine!  They were fascinated, and kept asking me to "say that again".  Of course, you have to lay it on pretty thick when you are being examined like that!  I kept thinking, they are calling this place, "Bah Hahbah" - and I"M the one with the accent?

:nometalk:

Offline PzLdr

Funny stories.  I have found when I travel that my accent can become the topic of a conversation.  I remember we stayed at a quaint whaling captain's mansion in Bar Harbor, Maine.  There was a nice bar, and there we found ourselves conversing with several people from Maine and Massachusetts.  You can imagine what a room full of accents that was!  LOL!

But, whose "accent" do they focus on?  Mine!  They were fascinated, and kept asking me to "say that again".  Of course, you have to lay it on pretty thick when you are being examined like that!  I kept thinking, they are calling this place, "Bah Hahbah" - and I"M the one with the accent?

:nometalk:

They usually tune in on "How Ya Doin?" with me.

Offline alicewonders

"They usually tune in on "How Ya Doin?" with me."

Do you get asked to say the word "coffee"?

I do love dialects - it helps us to stand apart.   :beer:

Offline NavyCanDo

Given time you all will speak normal, just like us on the West Coast.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online mountaineer

Yinz needta learn hah to speak like a Picksburgher, 'nat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PzLdr

Do you get asked to say the word "coffee"?

I do love dialects - it helps us to stand apart.   :beer:

You mean "Cawfee"?

Offline alicewonders

You mean "Cawfee"?

That's exactly what I meant!     :tongue2:

Offline GourmetDan

Except for the "rat heah". That's southern. And the "Gotch yer" is one word.

And people are always 'fixin to' do something.

We had some people from New Jersey move to town and we could hardly understand them...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:54:57 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Growing up in Western New York I became intimately familiar with the Polish American Buffalo Accent. It actually shows up in my usual speaking voice.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lando Lincoln

And then the are the "deze, dats, dems and doze" of Chicago.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EdinVA

Given time you all will speak normal, just like us on the West Coast.

Fur Shur, ya'll