Author Topic: Senator says Gitmo detainees can 'rot in hell'  (Read 850 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senator says Gitmo detainees can 'rot in hell'
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:45:56 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/231853-republican-senator-gitmo-detainees-can-rot-in-hell

By Martin Matishak - 02/05/15 11:18 AM EST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIEJbCAK3qQ

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) on Thursday rebutted the Obama administration’s argument that the U.S. detention facility at Guantánamo Bay is a propaganda tool for Islamic militants.

The reasoning, which has been a cornerstone of President Obama’s renewed push to close the prison, is not a security-based decision “but a political decision based on a promise the president made during his campaign,” Cotton said during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.
The freshman senator grilled Brian McKeon, principal deputy undersecretary of Defense for policy, on how many detainees were in the prison during national security incidents over the last few decades, ranging from the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to the 1979 capture of the U.S. Embassy in Iran.

McKeon repeatedly replied “zero” and pointed out the facility wasn’t open until 2002.

“In my opinion, the only problem with Guantánamo Bay is there are too many empty beds and cells there right now,” Cotton said.

“We should be sending more terrorists there. As far as I’m concerned, every last one of them can rot in hell. But as long as they can’t do that, they can rot in Guantánamo Bay,” he added.

"Islamic terrorists don’t need an excuse to attack the United States," Cotton said. "They attack us … for who we are."

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) thanked Cotton, who served in the Army during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, for his passion on the issue and said Cotton "deserves kudos" for serving his country during a "difficult time."

Ernst said she agreed with Cotton and could "care less" about the fate of detainees.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) said, however, that anyone who believes the president "cooked up" the fears of Gitmo as a propaganda tool is ignoring the facts.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senator says Gitmo detainees can 'rot in hell'
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:40 pm »
BRAVO Senator Cotton! BRAVO!!!

More Cotton! Less McCain!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:09:48 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:38 pm »
With respect, Senator - for them to rot in hell, they have to be sent there first.

Gitmo isn't exactly a bowl of cherries, though it's also not the luxury playground resort it sometimes gets painted to be. One of the things I disagree with GWB on: they should have been sweated fast, and, if a clear danger to the US or it's allies, executed. If not, they should have been released fast.

Now you've got 100 or so prisoners that no one knows what to do with. Can't let them go, can't really keep them there.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 03:06:11 am »
EC wrote above:
[[ One of the things I disagree with GWB on: they should have been sweated fast, and, if a clear danger to the US or it's allies, executed. If not, they should have been released fast. ]]

Absolutely agree.

Their capture should have been kept secret.
Secret interrogations.
Then.... simply...... disappeared.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 01:54:42 pm »
Totally agree, though no values should have been released, they are a self correcting problem. Tainted by being questioned in the first place, and viewed with suspicion at best, executed at worst (from their point of view).

Things are different since GW1. Heard that referred to as the first CNN war, and the label certainly fits.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:44:06 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien