Author Topic: NASA plans for a mission to Europa  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
NASA plans for a mission to Europa
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:33 pm »
http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-exoplanets/nasas-europa-mission-to-hunt-down-lifes-niches-150202.htm

If life exists in our solar system there is a good chance it is on Europa. Scientists plan for a mission in the mid 2020s.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Relic

Re: NASA plans for a mission to Europa
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 04:36:08 pm »
I'm a big supporter of NASA. I think the cost and risk vs. capital reward requires government to shoulder the burden of exploration. The benefit is there, but it's not always fungible.  It will be difficult for NASA to thrive under Democrat oversight with the dictate of proving man's contribution to climate change, and making muslims feel good about themselves.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:09:14 am »
I'm a big supporter of NASA. I think the cost and risk vs. capital reward requires government to shoulder the burden of exploration. The benefit is there, but it's not always fungible.  It will be difficult for NASA to thrive under Democrat oversight with the dictate of proving man's contribution to climate change, and making muslims feel good about themselves.

What they want to do here has nothing to do with their opinions about climate change. There is an ocean possibly three times larger than all of Earth's oceans combined underneath the frozen crust of a moon in our own solar system. There is a very real chance that life exists in that ocean and we have the means to go look. I don't understand why cost or funding of these ventures is even part of the conversation considering all of the ridiculous things we waste tax money on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:15:19 am by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:38:07 pm »

What they want to do here has nothing to do with their opinions about climate change. There is an ocean possibly three times larger than all of Earth's oceans combined underneath the frozen crust of a moon in our own solar system. There is a very real chance that life exists in that ocean and we have the means to go look. I don't understand why cost or funding of these ventures is even part of the conversation considering all of the ridiculous things we waste tax money on.

Sorry, but it has everything to do with their expenditures on climate change and muslim warm fuzzies.

Opportunity cost. Google it.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:59:40 am »
Sorry, but it has everything to do with their expenditures on climate change and muslim warm fuzzies.

Opportunity cost. Google it.

We cannot allow politics to hinder space exploration; it's too important.
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:08:30 am »
http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-exoplanets/nasas-europa-mission-to-hunt-down-lifes-niches-150202.htm

If life exists in our solar system there is a good chance it is on Europa. Scientists plan for a mission in the mid 2020s.

I dunno.  I think we should look at the third rock from the Sun, first.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:07 am »
Europa is too far from the sun for sunlight warmth. However, some have postulated that the gravitational pull of the massive planet Jupiter would disrupt the core of Europe enough to generate heat.

Therefore, if you wrap your head around this, we may be looking at a more or less relatively warm ocean, surrounded by a cake of ice. This would happen because the heat is from inside out, instead of outside in. (theoretically)

I don't know. It will be interesting if they get it done. I always wonder about whether or not NASA will wind up introducing some microbe into these galactic destinations. If someone breathed, coughed, or even touched anything that hits that moon, they would introduce DNA and could potentially create, instead of find, a new life form.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:27:30 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 03:33:00 am »
It would need to be a fairly specific microbe or range of microbes. Viruses would be a non starter - they are too dependent on host cells to be able to reproduce without them. Any microbe that requires food is likewise a non starter, since there be no food up there.
You'd be pretty much confined to the antarctic species or the deep water hydrogen or sulphur eaters - both of which are highly unlikely to be on someone's skin.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:47:31 am »
I dunno.  I think we should look at the third rock from the Sun, first.

We've already determined there is no intelligent life worth anything there. Just some species called a Honey Boo Boo and another one called a Snooki.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 05:51:52 am »
Europa is too far from the sun for sunlight warmth. However, some have postulated that the gravitational pull of the massive planet Jupiter would disrupt the core of Europe enough to generate heat.

Therefore, if you wrap your head around this, we may be looking at a more or less relatively warm ocean, surrounded by a cake of ice. This would happen because the heat is from inside out, instead of outside in. (theoretically)

I don't know. It will be interesting if they get it done. I always wonder about whether or not NASA will wind up introducing some microbe into these galactic destinations. If someone breathed, coughed, or even touched anything that hits that moon, they would introduce DNA and could potentially create, instead of find, a new life form.

They have observed giant eruptions of water shooting miles into space. That pretty much confirms that it is at least warm enough for liquid water. The outer shell of ice would also shield any potential life from harmful radiation. It is more than possible that life exists on Europa. I know it's wishful thinking, but how utterly incredible would it be if we found a vast ecosystem that has been thriving for billions of years? All of the elements needed to create life are among the most common in the universe. There is no reason to assume that life wouldn't thrive anywhere in the universe that it feasibly could.
-Socrates

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 07:38:15 am »
Why? Are there Muslim outeach opportunities or clues about man-made global warming there?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 04:03:23 pm »
Why? Are there Muslim outeach opportunities or clues about man-made global warming there?

No, just opportunities to unlock the mysteries of the universe.
-Socrates