Author Topic: Ryan says he's willing to compromise with Obama to help economy  (Read 876 times)

rangerrebew

Ryan says he's willing to compromise with Obama to help economy
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »
Ryan says he's willing to compromise with Obama to help economy

By Jennifer Peebles  | February 1, 2015 | 1:43 pm

New House Ways and Means Chairman Paul Ryan says he's ready to compromise with President Obama on tax reform if it helps the economy — and says he believes tax reform can be the economic shot in the arm the country needs.

"If we can find common ground, the answer is yes," the Wisconsin Republican said on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday in response to host Chuck Todd's question of whether Ryan was "ready to be a compromiser."

"We've got to get the economy growing," Ryan said. "Look, we have had such a stagnant economy, the slowest recovery since World War II. Middle-income wages are stagnant.

"We've got to break out of this slog," he continued. "I believe there are things we can do hopefully in the next year to get this economy growing faster."

Changing the tax code is the way to do it, he told Todd.

"We really believe that we should reform the entire tax code for all people — individuals, families, businesses — make it simpler, flatter, fairer, the whole thing," Ryan said. "But it is pretty clear to us that the president doesn't agree with that [position] on [taxes on] individuals. So, the question is — which I don't know the answer to — is there common ground on aspects of tax reform that we think could help grow the economy? For us, small businesses have to be a part of that puzzle ... and so, we'll find out."

As for specific changes, Ryan supported the president's call to expand income tax credits for child care for working families.

"I think that's something that actually pulls people into the workforce," Ryan said. "It's one of the more effective welfare reforms we had. And so, that that is something that I think with we should work together on."

But Ryan said he would oppose Obama's proposal to increase taxes, such as taxes on inheritances.

"I think it's a bad idea," he said. "You're actually making it really hard for a family to pass on a family business to the next generation.

"What I think the president is trying to do here is to, again, exploit envy economics. This top-down redistribution [of wealth] doesn't work. We have been doing it for six years. It may make for good politics, but it doesn't make for good economic growth."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ryan-says-hes-willing-to-compromise-with-obama-to-help-economy/article/2559635
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 05:01:29 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Ryan says he's willing to compromise with Obama to help economy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:03:15 pm »
Ryan knows full well Obama never compromises with republicans.  This is just an effort to switch the heat to Obama which will never happen with the MSM'

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »
Ryan knows full well Obama never compromises with republicans.  This is just an effort to switch the heat to Obama which will never happen with the MSM'

Yet it is broadcast on NBC.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:14:36 pm »

Heat?  To Obama?  Really?   :pondering:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:51:42 pm »

I don't think Ryan understands that (on a national-level) committing to 'compromise with Obama' is a political death-wish.

Might help with Wisconsin liberals, but Scott Walker has proved that group can be beaten by someone with cojones and a spine.

Oh... now I get it...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:35 am »
Yet it is broadcast on NBC.

What I meant was the media will spin the "compromise" to make Obama look good and Ryan bad.  The MSM is giving a little ground now for the big yardage as the "compromise" falls apart.