Author Topic: Soup Bowl Live Thread  (Read 8990 times)

Offline raml

Re: Soup Bowl Live Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 05:48:17 am »
I enjoyed the game they didn't play perfect and that is because there are no perfect teams just as there are no perfect people. It was good entertainment and I personally am glad the Patriots won. It was exciting and had no mistakes not been made it would have been boring and to predictable.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 01:13:39 pm »
Brady threw two interceptions that led to points. He was lucky.

Not good. Not MVP material. Just lucky.
Agreed. The Seahawks had the better standout performances, but like Thurman Thomas in XXV, there was no way on Earth that the NFL was going to give an MVP award to a guy on the losing team (again—they did do it in Super Bowl V, a game that both teams would've lost if they could have).

This was a default vote.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 02:26:35 pm »
It was certainly the dumbest end to a Super Bowl........... EVER.

(And I've seen all 49!)

So have I but it is VERY likely I will choose not to watch another one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2015, 02:55:30 pm »
Well, the Pats had the better game plan. The Seahicks had the more explosive plays.

And moving the ball 80 yards in 31 seconds for a td at the end of the first half was ...well....unbelievable.  The good ole prevent defense worked again :)  I will never understand the prevent defense but they all go to it like it's the Holy Grail.

I want to know who called the game ending pass play on the 1 yard line.  I can actually understand a pass play but NOT OVER THE MIDDLE.  Some kind of roll out with a read option would have made perfect sense but NOT a play over the middle.

For 59 minutes and 10 seconds, it was a great game.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2015, 03:03:27 pm »

Really??? I thought the officiating crew did their usual (horrible) job and affected the game tremendously!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 03:17:32 pm »
I'll bet Darrell Bevell is a RINO.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:27 pm »
3 times to hit mute this superbowl- any time Bob Costas speaks, Katy Perry, and any time Bob Costas speaks.

Nice job on the National Anthem but the crowd was disrespectful. I understand the cheering when our troops were on the big screen, but then booing Belichick during the anthem was low class.

I want to see Jurassic World!!!!
So true, couldn't get to the mute button fast enough. Katy Perry was horrible, yet the effects were busy. Wanted to see Lenny Kravizt................wasn't on stage long. Crappy commercials again this year. Liked the Esurance one with the guy from breaking bad. Dorritos funny as well. Fiat was funny too. I enjoyed the game, yet  I dislike Pete Carroll. The ending was wild, I thought for sure Hawks were going to win. If you  are a Seahawks fan, and everyone in my town is, you are hating that call.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »
So true, couldn't get to the mute button fast enough. Katy Perry was horrible, yet the effects were busy. Wanted to see Lenny Kravizt................wasn't on stage long. Crappy commercials again this year. Liked the Esurance one with the guy from breaking bad. Dorritos funny as well. Fiat was funny too. I enjoyed the game, yet  I dislike Pete Carroll. The ending was wild, I thought for sure Hawks were going to win. If you  are a Seahawks fan, and everyone in my town is, you are hating that call.

When Bob Costas appears on my television screen the channel immediately changes!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »
I want to know who called the game ending pass play on the 1 yard line.  I can actually understand a pass play but NOT OVER THE MIDDLE.  Some kind of roll out with a read option would have made perfect sense but NOT a play over the middle.

Well, the Seahawks shouldn't even have been down there in the first place.

How often do you get a football to bounce off yourself twice and then you catch it laying on the ground...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 04:00:30 pm »

That was the kid in the Nationwide commercial last night.

Offline flowers

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 04:03:24 pm »
When Bob Costas appears on my television screen the channel immediately changes!
He ruined it for me.  Did you know he has a photographic memory? Still cannot stand him. Hey at least there were no obama commercials last night during the game. I think last year they spoke on one for giving more to charity.

Offline flowers

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 04:09:22 pm »
Were these the worst backing dancers ever? Katy Perry's bizarre 'supporting sharks' (including one who lost track of choreography) cause instant internet hilarity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2936210/Are-worst-backing-dancers-Katy-Perry-s-supporting-shark-lost-track-choreography-goes-viral.html

Yes, what was up with the dancing sharks??? Horrible half time show.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 04:10:10 pm »
Costas says he has never stumbled for the correct word. Ever.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 04:41:48 pm »
Really??? I thought the officiating crew did their usual (horrible) job and affected the game tremendously!
But in the end it didn't matter. Pretty much every call went against the Pats, and they still won.

Now, if Seattle had pulled off the win, then you could complain.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 04:45:21 pm »
But in the end it didn't matter. Pretty much every call went against the Pats, and they still won.

Now, if Seattle had pulled off the win, then you could complain.

I'm not just talking about bad calls but a multitude of NO calls as well. 

The NFL and WWE Wrestling are same same!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 05:19:55 pm »
I'm not just talking about bad calls but a multitude of NO calls as well. 

The NFL and WWE Wrestling are same same!
yep, a few NO calls last night.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:12 pm »
Regarding the bouncing catch - a blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmyLLxRNcA
John Steinbeck

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2015, 08:09:36 pm »
It was the most watched Super Bowl ever and among the most exciting. It’s heartbreaking my Seahawks lost in the way we did, with a dumb play call. My wife and I were yelling at the TV “Don’t throw it, run it ,run it.”  But damn.    We pay Beast Mode to run the ball, and we should have fed  it to him. We all have seen him carry a half dozen people on his back doing it. If he doesn’t make it on 2 tries, then too bad, and congrats to the Pats for stopping us -  but at least we 12s would not be calling for someone to be fired this morning and second guessing the play call, and it would be far less painful.
But all in all, I would rather we lose the way we did, than they way the Broncos did last year, who we totally destroyed from the opening play to the end.
The worse part of last night’s game, was how my 12 year old took it, throwing himself on my lap and crying heavily.    The best I could say to him, is this is what makes Football so fun to watch – because it is exciting, and at times nail-bighting.

INJURY REPORT – Gruesome injury, to Jeremy Lane in the first Interception.    His arm broken between the wrist and the elbow, bent at 90 degrees. Fair Warning to those looking for the Google image of it. Adding to the large list of hurt players on our defense, which is why Brady was able to gain so many yards on us.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline evadR

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2015, 08:29:56 pm »

Hmmm, Bigun. I actually thought the officiating part of the game was pretty good.  Only one penalty in the entire first half (well, actually 2 but 1 was refused)

I thought they let them play which should have been good for The Seahicks since they usually have a lot of penalties.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2015, 10:10:56 pm »

Heard the announcers last night say that Pete Carroll once said the Pats didn't know what they were losing when they fired him.

He'd probably like to have that comment back now...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 01:55:38 am »

Heard the announcers last night say that Pete Carroll once said the Pats didn't know what they were losing when they fired him.

He'd probably like to have that comment back now...

They came within 40 seconds....and ONE yard from winning the Super Bowl TWICE in a row.   It his age of parity, with a QB that only earned $600K....so they were lucky and fortunate to have extra money to throw around for other players.

Peter Carroll is still a 'god' to the vast majority of Seahawks' fans.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 02:06:01 am »
The Conspiracy Theory Surrounding The Seahawks’ Last Play
Dave Zirin

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson looks back after throwing an interception to New England Patriots safety Malcolm Butler. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Conspiracy theories abound in US history, a way to explain the unexplainable in a nation with massive gaps in wealth and power. How could a lone gunman kill the President of the United States? Who put a drifter like James Earl Ray in position to kill Dr. Martin Luther King? Or the conspiracy theory of our century, one that has been entertained by the person at the heart of this article, Seattle Seahawks Pete Carroll, how did the Towers fall? (Please save the e-mails. I am not passing judgment on any of the above theories. Only pointing out that they all have found purchase.)

Sports, where antitrust exemptions, a compliant media and authoritarian structures don’t exactly encourage open discussion, conspiracy theories have always been nourished. Well, one is certainly emerging after last night’s shocking end to Super Bowl 49, as the Seahawks gave away a game that looked comfortably in their grasp. With the outcome in their hands in the closing seconds, on second down from the one yard line and trailing by four points against the New England Patriots, Seattle coach Pete Carroll chose to throw a three-foot slant over the middle instead of handing it to their power runner extraordinaire Marshawn Lynch. It was, of course, intercepted, the first time a pass from the one-yard line had been intercepted all season in any game.

In the stunning aftermath, after that unfathomable decision, conspiracy theories sprouted like Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors. I’m not talking about Twitter-theories from deep-thinking eggs, or any cris de coeur from devastated Seahawks fans. I’m talking about people inside Seattle’s own locker room. I’m talking about texts I received from mainstream writers who don’t want to deal with the backlash that would come with writing it up.

The theory goes something like this. Russell Wilson is your young clean-cut God-fearing media-perfect quarterback. If one was creating a superstar face to market for the twenty-first century, chances are they would look, sound and basically be Russell Wilson. He’s Derek Jeter with a Bible, someone who comes across like he has never spoken out of turn in his entire life. Marshawn Lynch is… Marshawn Lynch, and if you haven’t figured out what that means after the past two weeks, then you haven’t been paying attention.

The theory goes that there were major financial, public relations and football reasons for Russell Wilson and not Lynch to be the one who ends the game in glory. If he throws that touchdown for the victory, Wilson is almost certainly the Super Bowl MVP. He gets the commercial. He gets to stand with the commissioner. And oh, by the way, he also gets his new contract, one that will fasten his prime, at only 26 years old, to the Seattle franchise. Marshawn Lynch is also due a new contract. Marshawn Lynch, had he punched that ball over the goal line, would probably get to be the one handed the MVP trophy. Marshawn Lynch also maybe gets on the mic to say Lord knows what.

Marshawn Lynch is in addition playing for a new contract and will certainly get one after an awesome, iconic season. But unlike Wilson, Marshawn Lynch turns 29 this off-season, that time when the ability of running backs tends to fall off the cliff. In Seattle’s own recent history, they saw their MVP running back Shaun Alexander go seemingly overnight from superstar to someone who could barely run the ball, a football equivalent of milk left on the radiator.

The conspiracy theory lies in the fact that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll believed that the last yard the Seahawks needed for that Super Bowl victory was a gimme and, all things being equal, much better to have the iconic Super Bowl moment go to Russell Wilson than to Marshawn Lynch. Coaches setting certain favored players up for glory is as old as football itself. In addition, the politics of race, respectability, public relations and what’s in the best interest of a $2 billion corporation all played into this. That’s the theory.

more....if you can stand it....at:   http://www.thenation.com/blog/196697/conspiracy-theory-surrounding-seahawks-last-play#
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:11:32 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 02:45:12 am »
What is described in that article is not a conspiracy, at least not in the pure sense. If all of that we're at play, it simply describes the decision process Carroll had during the moment. Perhaps some factors were extraneous, perhaps not. We'll never know.

By passing on second down, the Hawks thought they'd ensure use of all 4 downs assuming the worst would be an incomplete pass. But as Woody Hayes once said, only three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 03:13:45 am »
Yeah, that's not a conspiracy at all. That's just a short-sighted decision based on bad reasoning. Football's a team sport.

A conspiracy would be that the Seahawks deliberately lost the game. But you'd have to find one heck of an incentive for them to want to do that. Of course, with as much bad press the NFL has gotten lately, blackmail would not be very hard to pull off.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 03:21:09 am »
What is described in that article is not a conspiracy, at least not in the pure sense. If all of that we're at play, it simply describes the decision process Carroll had during the moment. Perhaps some factors were extraneous, perhaps not. We'll never know.

By passing on second down, the Hawks thought they'd ensure use of all 4 downs assuming the worst would be an incomplete pass. But as Woody Hayes once said, only three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad.

Not trying to be disagreeable here, but as an Ohio State fan from birth, Woody Hayes coached very, very boring games.   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.