Author Topic: Rand Paul slams Bush 'hypocrisy' on pot  (Read 985 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul slams Bush 'hypocrisy' on pot
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:27:33 am »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/231351-rand-paul-slams-bush-hypocrisy-on-pot

Getty Images
By Alexander Bolton - 01/30/15 07:09 PM EST
DALLAS — Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) accused Jeb Bush of hypocrisy after The Boston Globe reported the former Florida governor was a heavy marijuana smoker while at an elite prep school.

Bush opposed a Florida medical marijuana ballot initiative last year even though he partook liberally of the herb while in high school.

“You would think he’d have a little more understanding then,” Paul told The Hill while en route to a political event in Texas.
“He was even opposed to medical marijuana,” Paul said of Bush, a potential rival in the 2016 Republican presidential primary. “This is a guy who now admits he smoked marijuana but he wants to put people in jail who do.

“I think that’s the real hypocrisy, is that people on our side, which include a lot of people, who made mistakes growing up, admit their mistakes but now still want to put people in jail for that,” he said.

“Had he been caught at Andover, he’d have never been governor, he’d probably never have a chance to run for the presidency,” he added.

Bush told The Globe in a recent interview about his four years at Phillips Academy in Andover, one of the nation’s most prestigious prep schools, “I drank and I smoked marijuana when I was at Andover,” explaining the behavior was “pretty common.”

The Globe cited a former classmate, Peter Tibbetts, who said he first smoked marijuana with Bush and also consumed cannabis, a concentration of the plant’s resin, in Bush’s dorm room.

Tibbetts recalled Bush cranking up Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride” on the stereo while he and his classmates got stoned.

Bush has previously acknowledged using marijuana, which he has called “stupid” and “wrong.”

He issued a statement in August urging voters to reject a proposal allowing the use of marijuana to treat debilitating diseases.

He argued it would undermine the state’s image as a “family-friendly destination for tourism and a desirable place to raise a family or retire.”

“Allowing large-scale marijuana operations to take root across Florida, under the guise of using it for medicinal purposes, runs counter to all these efforts,” he claimed.

Paul dinged Bush for now opposing the legalization of marijuana for medical use.

The Kentucky senator has spoken extensively about the need to review the efficacy of the nation’s war on drugs and reconsider harsh prison sentences and other penalties for non-violent offenders.

“I think in politics the biggest thing, the thing that voters from any part of the spectrum hate worse than anything is hypocrisy. And hypocrisy is, ‘Hey I did it and it’s okay for me because I was rich and at an elite school but if you’re poor and black or brown and live in a poor section of one of our big cities, we’re going to put you in jail and throw away the key,’” Paul said.

Paul has hinted at using marijuana in the past.

He told a Louisville television station in December that he “wasn’t a choir boy” when asked if he used the drug in college.

“Let’s just say I wasn’t a choir boy when I was in college and that I can recognize that kids make mistakes, and I can say that I made mistakes when I was a kid,” he said, according to an Associated Press report of the broadcast.

Paul introduced an amendment in July that would shield states that enact medical marijuana laws from federal prosecution. It covered 33 states including California, Kentucky and New Hampshire. He has called decade-long jail sentences for possession or sale of marijuana “ridiculous.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Rand Paul slams Bush 'hypocrisy' on pot
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:15:46 am »
Rand is not going after all 12 of the pro-pot Republicans.  He is trying to smear Bush in the eyes of the anti drug majority of the GOP primary voters.  It just makes me wonder what skeletons we will find in Rand's closet.

It looks like Rand views Jeb as the front runner.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:57:26 am »
Rand Paul is revealing more and more of his daddy's die-hard libertarianism.

Doing so means he will fall further and further behind other Republican candidates.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:15:35 am »
Dumb politics Rand. Playing to your base isn't going to help you because there aren't enough of them to do that. Not a Jeb fan but this is a stupid political move. Don't think he's ready for prime time.
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:25 am »
Dumb politics Rand. Playing to your base isn't going to help you because there aren't enough of them to do that. Not a Jeb fan but this is a stupid political move. Don't think he's ready for prime time.

As I wrote above, Rand isn't playing to his base he's playing with Jeb's base.

It is funny how the GOP abandons our players for the slightest infraction.  Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott got the boot because he said something nice to Senator Strom Thurmond at his 100th birthday.

The rats circle the wagons for their guys.  Former Grand Wizard of the KKK Robert Byrd filibustered the 1964 civil rights act, and was the "King of Pork" while alive, but when he died the first Kenyan President called him"a voice of principle and reason."  Drown a girl...you're the Lion of the Senate. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I could see this damaging Bush with primary voters.  Not sure I see a down side for Rand except with a few political junkies like you and me who see it as cynical and ham fisted...unless a bunch of stories come out about Rand's bong, shaped like the US flag.  Bush could then charge Rand with hypocrisy, but Rand's argument will be a consistent political philosophy of personal freedom.  That will resonate with some conservatives.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:13:27 am »
As I wrote above, Rand isn't playing to his base he's playing with Jeb's base.

It is funny how the GOP abandons our players for the slightest infraction.  Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott got the boot because he said something nice to Senator Strom Thurmond at his 100th birthday.

The rats circle the wagons for their guys.  Former Grand Wizard of the KKK Robert Byrd filibustered the 1964 civil rights act, and was the "King of Pork" while alive, but when he died the first Kenyan President called him"a voice of principle and reason."  Drown a girl...you're the Lion of the Senate. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I could see this damaging Bush with primary voters.  Not sure I see a down side for Rand except with a few political junkies like you and me who see it as cynical and ham fisted...unless a bunch of stories come out about Rand's bong, shaped like the US flag.  Bush could then charge Rand with hypocrisy, but Rand's argument will be a consistent political philosophy of personal freedom.  That will resonate with some conservatives.

Rand is casting himself aside. If he wants to play libertarian politics then he's going to back himself in the corner. Stuff like marijuana might hurt Jeb but it's not going to help Rand, it will just limit his upside potential. Unless he's wanting to be a sacrificed pawn for someone else, he's not doing himself any favors.
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 07:10:58 am »
Rand is casting himself aside. If he wants to play libertarian politics then he's going to back himself in the corner. Stuff like marijuana might hurt Jeb but it's not going to help Rand, it will just limit his upside potential. Unless he's wanting to be a sacrificed pawn for someone else, he's not doing himself any favors.
I think we essentially agree that Rand isn't going to attract primary voters with this attack, but it might cost Jeb primary votes.  I'm pretty sure Rand wants to be President.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:43:09 am »
Yes, but none of those votes will go to Rand, but to Christie, Walker, Perry or someone else. He won't gain anything, but he'll risk losing votes, because conservatives who are entertaining him are doing so because he's not his father. He starts going libertarian with the weed talk and that potential support will scatter. People are expecting him not to be his father.
The Republic is lost.