Author Topic: Drunken Government Employee Crashed the Drone Into the White House  (Read 1456 times)

rangerrebew

Drunken Government Employee Crashed the Drone Into the White House

By Emily Zanotti on 1.27.15 | 3:50PM

So our mystery Drink-and-Droner has been revealed.

According to the New York Times, the guy who, yesterday morning, caused a huge ruckus by crash-landing a drone on White House lawn and testing the limits of the Secret Service's abilites at 3am, has been revealed to be an officer with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. Apparently, he was enjoying some adult beverages on his apartment balcony and playing with a drone that "belonged to a friend" when it miiiiiiight have flown over the White House. He later admitted the dalliance to authorities - after  his friends told him about the news story - though it does not appear he asked for his drone back.

It was 42 degrees, lightly raining and pitch black near the White House when an inebriated, off-duty employee for a government intelligence agency decided it was a good time to test-fly his friend’s quadcopter drone that sells for hundreds of dollars and is popular among hobbyists.

But officials say the plan was foiled, perhaps by the wind or a tree, when the employee — who is not being named by the Secret Service — lost control of the drone. He texted his friends, worried that the drone had gone down on the White House grounds.

Investigators said the man had been drinking at an apartment nearby. It was not until the next morning, when he woke to his friends telling him that his drone was all over the news, that he contacted his employer, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, and then called the Secret Service to confess.

Oddly enough, the NGIA is tasked with analyzing gathered intelligence for the Department of Defense, which drones, of course, do gather. Clearly, he was looking to skip the middle man.

The American Spectator Foundation is the 501(c)(3) organization responsible for publishing The American Spectator magazine and training aspiring journalists who espouse traditional American values. Your contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. Each donor receives a year-end summary of their giving for tax purposes.

Copyright 2013, The American Spectator. All rights reserved.

Source URL: http://spectator.org/blog/61609/drunken-government-employee-crashed-drone-white-house

Offline flowers

Re: Drunken Government Employee Crashed the Drone Into the White House
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »
what the hell is the  National Geospatial Intelligence Agency?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:50:24 pm by flowers »

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:52:56 pm »
Never mind, I found it..................NGA provides timely, relevant, and accurate geospatial intelligence in support of national security.

Offline evadR

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:47:47 pm »
A drunk can land a drone in the white house grounds!!!!

My God....

Scotty, Beam Me Up
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 01:56:28 am »
what the hell is the  National Geospatial Intelligence Agency?
Some super-dooper top secret bunch of bureaucrats that exist to soak up your tax dollars.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 02:27:46 am »
You can't make this $hit up!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 03:12:04 am »

no you cannot!

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:43 pm »
really! Yet now that I have had time to think about it.......how the hell was it able to get on property? You would think white house has the best security in the world able to see even a small drone wouldn't you?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 07:56:51 pm »
really! Yet now that I have had time to think about it.......how the hell was it able to get on property? You would think white house has the best security in the world able to see even a small drone wouldn't you?

Yes.  The answer raises new questions. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 03:31:20 am »
flowers muses above:
[[ how the hell was it able to get on property? You would think white house has the best security in the world able to see even a small drone wouldn't you? ]]

There may be monitorin' equipment, but a little birdie tells me that there ain't no one watchin' it!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:21:15 pm »
There may be monitorin' equipment, but a little birdie tells me that there ain't no one watchin' it!
Maybe they all were taking a page from their "boss's" playbook and watching ESPN instead of working.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org