Author Topic: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia  (Read 4155 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/27/michelle-obama-forgoes-a-headscarf-and-sparks-a-backlash-in-saudi-arabia/?tid=sm_fb

By Adam Taylor January 27 at 4:29 PM

Barack Obama was in Riyadh on Tuesday to pay his respects to the late Saudi King Abdullah. His visit, for which he cut short a much-hyped trip to India, underscores how important the U.S.-Saudi relationship remains to the American leadership. On social media, however, much of the attention has focused on something else: His wife's attire.

As noted by the Associated Press, Michelle Obama did not wear a headscarf or veil Tuesday. In Saudi Arabia, that's unusual: The country is one of the few on Earth where women are expected to cover their heads, and most Saudi women wear niqabs.

Exceptions are made for foreigners, however, and Michelle – who did wear loose clothing that fully covered her arms – appears to have been one of them. In photographs from the official events, other foreign female guests are also shown not wearing headscarves.

More than 1,500 tweets using the hashtag #ميشيل_أوباما_سفور (roughly, #Michelle_Obama_immodesty) were sent Tuesday, many of which criticized the first lady. Some users pointed out that on a recent trip to Indonesia, Michelle had worn a headscarf. Why not in Saudi Arabia?

The response wasn't entirely negative – Ahram Online notes that some Twitter users said Michelle shouldn't be criticized too much, it being a short, impromptu trip and all. Saudi state television did show images of Michelle and her uncovered head, despite some claims that they had digitally obscured her (a widely circulated video with the first lady entirely blurred seems to have been an amateur production).

Still, the Obamas' trip to Saudi Arabia comes at a time of remarkable international criticism of Saudi Arabia's human rights record, prompted largely by the flogging of blogger Raif Badawi for insulting Islam. The trip was apparently designed to be apolitical – Obama has said he was "unlikely" to discuss Badawi's case with the new Saudi king.

But in Saudi Arabia, the simple act of not covering your head can be political, intentionally or not.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:50 am »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/27/michelle-obamas-face-blurred-by-saudi-state-televi/

Michelle Obama’s face blurred by Saudi state television

Michelle Obama’s face blurred by Saudi state television
By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First lady Michelle Obama's face was reportedly blurred by Saudi state television Tuesday as she and the president met with new Saudi King Salman in Riyadh.

The new Saudi king shook hands with President Obama at the Erga Palace but did not acknowledge the first lady at all during a brief aside at the funeral for King Abdullah, Bloomberg View reported.

Mrs. Obama did not wear a head scarf during the funeral, as is custom for any woman appearing in public in Saudi Arabia. Visitors to the kingdom are not required to abide by its strict dress code, but the first lady was still criticized on social media by Saudis using the hashtags #Michelle_Obama_Immodest and #Michelle_Obama_NotVeiled, Politico reported.

Other news organizations, such as Al Jazeera, showed the meeting without censoring Mrs. Obama's face, Bloomberg reported.

The president and first lady cut short their trip to India to attend the funeral Tuesday. Mr. Obama praised the late king in a statement following his death, saying "King Abdullah's vision was dedicated to the education of his people and to greater engagement with the world," Bloomberg reported.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:20:20 am »
I want to, but I can't fault her for this.   

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:22:02 am »
I want to, but I can't fault her for this.

I agree.

But her fashion coordinator and hairstylist need to be replaced.  It's disgraceful how she appears in public at such venues.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:26:57 am »
I agree.

But her fashion coordinator and hairstylist need to be replaced.  It's disgraceful how she appears in public at such venues.

Agree.  But at this point words fail me. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:36 am »
Muslims around the world must be wondering why their fellow Muslim Barack Hussein OPapaDoc can't control his woman.  In a way it's classless, like a man going to a synagogue and not wearing a yarmulke, or a woman going to a Catholic Church back in the day and not wearing a head cover.  On the other hand, it calls attention to the disgusting level of sex discrimination in Saudi Arabia, so like RiV I am not going to get worked up over it.

I suspect Laura Bush and even Hillary Clinton would have worn a head cover in the same situation.  But that doesn't make them right and Moochelle wrong. 

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:33:35 am »
I am not a fan of Michelle but I agree with the sentiment of those who can't fault here here.  It's clear she has the cajones of this family, though. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:14 am »
Check out Obama's subservient posture when he met King Abdullah's brother King Salman. 

John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:38:20 am »
I am not a fan of Michelle but I agree with the sentiment of those who can't fault here here.  It's clear she has the cajones of this family, though.

I don't! Not at all! You do NOT go into someone else's country and disrespect their traditions no matter HOW much you disagree with them and that is especially true of the supposed leader of the free world and members of his entourage !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 12:41:03 am »
I don't! Not at all! You do NOT go into someone else's country and disrespect their traditions no matter HOW much you disagree with them and that is especially true of the supposed leader of the free world and members of his entourage !

You make a good point.  Yes, you do.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 12:45:54 am »
Two more from the US entourage:

John Steinbeck

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 01:02:38 am »
some Twitter users said Michelle shouldn't be criticized too much, it being a short, impromptu trip and all
That's right. She had packed a few bikinis, but it didn't occur to her to pack a scarf.   :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline speekinout

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:20:37 am »
It was a funeral. If you go to a funeral to show respect for the deceased, you follow protocol for the occasion. The 0bamas don't show respect for many people, and I guess it's true that 0bama and Abdullah didn't like each other. They shouldn't have gone if they weren't ready to show respect.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:45:07 am »
Unblurred photos here.

I understood that they didn't attend the funeral itself. It was just a "condolence visit," as indicated in the above link. The Mooch wouldn't have been permitted to attend the funeral anyway.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 01:52:31 am »

I suspect Laura Bush and even Hillary Clinton would have worn a head cover in the same situation.  But that doesn't make them right and Moochelle wrong.
   :pondering:

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/2015/01/22/i-took-this-pic-of-first-lady-laura-bush-king-abdullah-and-syndicated-columnist-kathleen-parker-in-saudi-arabia-in-2006-and-click-for-other-pic/

I took this pic of First Lady Laura Bush, King Abdullah and syndicated columnist Kathleen Parker in Saudi Arabia in 2006 (and click for other pic)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:54:41 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 01:55:39 am »
Good for Mrs. Obama to not degrade herself as subservient to men, regardless of the customs of the country.  I'm sure it made Barack pissy, too, which is an added bonus.

Offline Carling

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 01:57:21 am »
Great catch.

I had no idea.  I just saw your post and it got me thinking about if Mrs. Bush did visit Saudi Arabia.  Bashing Michelle Obama for this seems petty, and clearly driven by domestic politics.  I agree with you in that each woman could make their own decision, and there are some photos of Mrs. Bush in a headscarf, too. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:57:45 am by Carling »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 02:06:47 am »
Good for Mrs. Obama to not degrade herself as subservient to men, regardless of the customs of the country.  I'm sure it made Barack pissy, too, which is an added bonus.

For a bunch that got all wedgied up over "protocol" about Bibi's visit to Congress, somebody in the Obama party  should have realized it would be a sign of respect to wear a headcovering.

I'm in the camp that says its gauche to go into someone else's country where certain manners are observed and to not observe them, especially if you're the First Lady or even the President.

It's got nothing to do with subservience to men. It's just good manners.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:07:43 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 02:13:16 am »
For a bunch that got all wedgied up over "protocol" about Bibi's visit to Congress, somebody in the Obama party  should have realized it would be a sign of respect to wear a headcovering.

I'm in the camp that says its gauche to go into someone else's country where certain manners are observed and to not observe them, especially if you're the First Lady or even the President.

It's got nothing to do with subservience to men. It's just good manners.

I disagree.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15:23 am »
It's customary for women to wear dresses with sleeves and a mantilla or other headcovering when presented for an audience with the Pope.

I'm sure Pope Francis wouldn't mind if you didn't, but would you have a problem with this requirement from the Vatican?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 02:17:21 am »

How is expecting women to wear a headcovering in Muslim countries "degrading" and a "subservience to men" when the men are all wearing headcoverings too?

Offline Carling

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 02:23:20 am »
How is expecting women to wear a headcovering in Muslim countries "degrading" and a "subservience to men" when the men are all wearing headcoverings too?

It's "subservient," so please quote me accurately.  I honestly don't give a crap about this, other than I think it's a foolish controversy. 

Like Barack, I'll bow out of this thread now...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 02:25:39 am »
It's "subservient," so please quote me accurately.  I honestly don't give a crap about this, other than I think it's a foolish controversy. 

Like Barack, I'll bow out of this thread now...

Good manners are never foolish. Bad manners are boorish and result in being pixeled out of photographs.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 02:32:37 am »
I know we are all really smart and insightful people but we don't know the advance discussions regarding protocol. I find it interesting that neither Pelosi nor Rice had head coverings. Perhaps it is simply their media taking exception.
John Steinbeck