Author Topic: Author: Jeb Bush Has Conservative Record as Governor  (Read 625 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Author: Jeb Bush Has Conservative Record as Governor
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:49:27 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=621037

Newsmax
Author: Jeb Bush Has Conservative Record as Governor
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 03:35 PM

By: Courtney Coren

As there is much debate over the conservative credentials of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a University of Northern Florida political science professor tells Newsmax TV that Bush governed like a conservative.

Since leaving his post as Florida's governor in 2007, Dr. Matthew Corrigan tells "America's Forum" hosts J.D. Hayworth and Miranda Khan Tuesday that Bush has "changed a lot in tone. I'm not so sure in policy.

"Immigration has always been an issue with him. He's from Miami, which is a very immigrant-friendly city, his wife is a Mexican-American," he explained.

"He has a lot of personal experience with that issue, and that's why he's probably a little bit different than some of the other Republican presidential candidates," he said.

The professor is the author of a book about Bush, "Conservative Hurricane: How Jeb Bush Remade Florida," which was released in October.

"He had a conservative record here as governor," Corrigan said. "He's going to have to talk about that more because . . . the base is really looking for a strong conservative voice.

"I don't think Jeb Bush is going to win over that room, but there is space within the Republican Party for a center right candidate with a conservative past," he said.

"And what he's doing now is really talking in more moderate tones," he added.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Author: Jeb Bush Has Conservative Record as Governor
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:28:29 pm »
But, but, but he's a rino because that is how the real conservatives@ "feel."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:20:35 am »
I have always maintained that Bush is way more conservative than Romney, and fully "acceptable" in terms of his conservative credentials as far as I am concerned.  My main objection to Jeb is that I don't see how he can possibly get elected.  He's 15 points behind Hillary with 100 percent name recognition.  That's like Pepsi trying to beat Coke.

If we are going to take on a Goliath like Hillary, we need a David; some new face we can brand as fresh as opposed to taking an old brand and calling it "new and improved."  The public is not going to buy "New and Improved Bush."  It would be a colossal mistake to force the voters to choose between another Clinton or another Bush.  Pretty soon we'll have to start giving them Roman numerals, like the other monarchs: President Bush I, President Bush II, President Bush II, President Clinton I, President Clinton II and so forth.  Before long, people will swear their heirs have a right to the presidency based on the bloodline.

We had a little thing called the American Revolution to avoid that very thing.  That's why I like Paul, Walker and Carson.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:03 am »
Yes, but what kind of “conservative” are we talking here? 2004 conservative and 2014 conservative are much different beasts. Jeb is undeniably the former—the kind that believes he can use the law to impose marriage as one man and one woman, the kind who will interfere in personal affairs, the kind who believe across-the-board tax cuts without closing loopholes are a meal ticket to prosperity, and that we can continue spending like “compassionate conservatives.”

The 2014 conservative believes in reining in and even cutting spending, a fairer, flatter tax code with fewer loopholes, protections for those who disagree with same-sex marriage while at the same time indifferent themselves, and a more cautious foreign policy. (We don't know where Jeb stands on that, other than immigration.)

He's not much different from his older brother, whose policies, quite frankly, failed to have a lasting positive impact on America. If anything, the backlash against him has put us where we are now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:37 am »
I have always maintained that Bush is way more conservative than Romney, and fully "acceptable" in terms of his conservative credentials as far as I am concerned.  My main objection to Jeb is that I don't see how he can possibly get elected.  He's 15 points behind Hillary with 100 percent name recognition.  That's like Pepsi trying to beat Coke.

If we are going to take on a Goliath like Hillary, we need a David; some new face we can brand as fresh as opposed to taking an old brand and calling it "new and improved."  The public is not going to buy "New and Improved Bush."  It would be a colossal mistake to force the voters to choose between another Clinton or another Bush.  Pretty soon we'll have to start giving them Roman numerals, like the other monarchs: President Bush I, President Bush II, President Bush II, President Clinton I, President Clinton II and so forth.  Before long, people will swear their heirs have a right to the presidency based on the bloodline.

We had a little thing called the American Revolution to avoid that very thing.  That's why I like Paul, Walker and Carson.

After the speech he made over the weekend Carson has grown on me some as well!  I particularly like the fact that he is not a lawyer or a politician and has no interest in ever becoming one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien