Author Topic: Wash Post: Mitt Romney Would Embrace Mormon Faith in 2016 Run  (Read 2284 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=620941

Newsmax
Wash Post: Mitt Romney Would Embrace Mormon Faith in 2016 Run
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 09:40 AM

By: Drew MacKenzie

Inside his mansion nestled in the heart of the Salt Lake Valley, devout Mormon Mitt Romney has been deep in prayer with his wife Ann while mulling over a third run for the White House.

During his failed campaigns in 2008 and 2012, Romney was urged by his team to play down his faith out of fear that voters would be turned off by what might be seen as a presidential candidate proselytizing about their religion, according to The Washington Post.

But Tagg Romney, the eldest of the couple's five sons, says that this time around the former Massachusetts governor is determined to make his devotion to his church, as well as his country, a major part of a possible 2016 campaign.

"He has been reluctant to speak too openly on the campaign trail about his faith out of a concern that people would believe his motivation for running was based on an attempt to convert others to his faith," Tagg, of Belmont, Massachusetts, told the Post.

"If he were to run again, I believe he would be much more willing to open up and share who he is — not by asking others to learn the doctrines of his faith, but by speaking of the values of love and service that it has taught him."

In the wake of his devastating defeat to President Barack Obama in 2012, Romney sold his condo in the Boston area and moved into a sprawling sanctuary he had built near friends and family along the foothills of the spectacular Wasatch Range.

Complete with a "secret door" to a safe room and an outdoor spa connected to the master bedroom, the luxurious retreat in the Salt Lake City suburb of Holladay has given him plenty of time to contemplate his electoral failures and whether he and Ann are ready to face another grueling campaign battle.

"He feels very at home here," said John Miller, a close friend in Utah who has been having discussions with Romney about another bid for the Oval Office. "This is a very prayerful thing. In the end, it’s really a decision between he and Ann and their belief system, their God. That’s the authentic Mitt."

The Romneys, who also bought a sprawling ski chalet in nearby Park City with another family, also own a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, and a beach home in San Diego, which is being updated to include a car elevator. But the Holladay mansion is now their main residence.

"He was Utah’s favorite adopted son, and now he’s a Utahan," said Thomas Wright, a former state GOP chairman. "People here know Mitt, they trust Mitt, they respect Mitt and they still want to call him President Romney."

The Post says that Romney lost the last general election because Obama’s campaign persuaded voters that his extensive wealth left him out of touch with an average American.

But this time friends and family – and Romney himself — are convinced that he can turn things around by embracing his faith.

"He just didn’t talk enough about how he, as a man, was able to do so much to help those in need," said GOP Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, who also is a Mormon.

Hatch added that being a volunteer bishop, as Romney once was, is "a high calling" in the Mormon church. "You spend most of your time helping people with their problems — everything from financial problems to work problems to marital problems to sexual problems."

If he runs again, Romney is planning to extend his work as a Mormon with the less fortunate to the entire country, making income inequality a major theme of a possible campaign, the newspaper reported.

"In spite of the comments about the '47 percent,' he now talks about lifting the poor," said friend Fraser Bullock, referring to Romney’s ill-timed remarks in 2012 about people who depend on government handouts.

"That’s something he’s done his whole life, but he’s done it quietly, ministering his faith and helping people who are struggling with this issue or that issue. That was all hidden last time."

Mark DeMoss, an evangelical Christian who has advised Romney on faith politics for years, also told the Post that Mormonism is "a tremendously important part of (Romney’s) narrative."

DeMoss added, "He ought to share his life’s narrative the way he wants to and not according to some political calculus of campaign consultants."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Wash Post: Mitt Romney Would Embrace Mormon Faith in 2016 Run
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
Can you imagine the religious garbage that the wrecking crew from fresno.com and those of similar motives, will heap on Romney should he run?

Some of the born-agains would rather have a democrat than a Mormon.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:29 pm »
Can you imagine the religious garbage that the wrecking crew from fresno.com and those of similar motives, will heap on Romney should he run?

Some of them would rather have the Devil himself.

(And that is precisely why I left "the wrecking crew.")
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:04:47 pm »

Ditto!

And I should also point out the fact that those of us who belong to the same Church as Mitt get PLENTY of flack for not supporting him simply because he is a Church member!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:07:27 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:01 pm »

Unfortunately you are right and it is a real shame. However,  if religion was strictly the issue, I would vote for Romney as a Mormon over some of the "born agains".
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:06 pm »

Sad but true... If he runs in 16, I'm not going to support him not because of his religion, but I want someone new.. Like Rubio or Jindal should one of them run. I supported him in 08 and 12.  But I think he should not run.. Also that is why I left the wrecking crew.. I have family members who are a member of the LDS and I had a cousin who just joined the LDS..
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:03:32 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:19 pm »
Complete with a "secret door" to a safe room and an outdoor spa connected to the master bedroom, the luxurious retreat in the Salt Lake City suburb of Holladay ... The Romneys, who also bought a sprawling ski chalet in nearby Park City with another family, also own a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, and a beach home in San Diego, which is being updated to include a car elevator. But the Holladay mansion is now their main residence.
Such conspicuous consumption - and the perception that he doesn't understand the problems of the so-called common man - may be more of a hindrance to his campaign than his religion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:59:28 am »

Sad but true... If he runs in 16, I'm not going to support him not because of his religion, but I want someone new.. Like Rubio or Jindal should one of them run. I supported him in 08 and 12.  But I think he should not run.. Also that is why I left the wrecking crew.. I have family members who are a member of the LDS and I had a cousin who just joined the LDS..

I agree that he should not run; perhaps hit the campaign trail to "endorse" another candidate.  It is time for someone new...Cruz, Jindal, Paul, Walker and Perry.  We have a lot of really good GOP candidates and we don't need to run Romney again or another Bush.  It is time for positive change.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:14:11 am »
On the real estate aspect of conspicuous consumption, he would be far more wise as a candidate, to not own multiple resort luxury quality properties.

At his level of wealth, it would suffice to rent when he needs to visit an area, for business or pleasure. He could do as Obama does, renting in Mathah's Vinyahd, or on Oahu, for example.

Keep one or possibly two owned residences, period. The fact he has at least four per the article, is simply too many. The media and his opponents will savage him.

GW Bush owned his ranch at Crawford. Reagan had Pacific Palisades and Santa Barbara Mtns. retreat (a one story 2 bedroom cabin of under 2,000 sq. ft.). Nixon has San Clemente.

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 02:26:26 am »
On the real estate aspect of conspicuous consumption, he would be far more wise as a candidate, to not own multiple resort luxury quality properties.

At his level of wealth, it would suffice to rent when he needs to visit an area, for business or pleasure. He could do as Obama does, renting in Mathah's Vinyahd, or on Oahu, for example.

Keep one or possibly two owned residences, period. The fact he has at least four per the article, is simply too many. The media and his opponents will savage him.

GW Bush owned his ranch at Crawford. Reagan had Pacific Palisades and Santa Barbara Mtns. retreat (a one story 2 bedroom cabin of under 2,000 sq. ft.). Nixon has San Clemente.

The media and his opponents said he killed somebody because of insurance coverage, and he wasn't even at Bain when the poor lady was laid off.  The media and his opponents are going to savage him regardless of if he lives in a rustic cabin in the woods. What I hope is that I don't have to see GOP populist candidates in the primaries piling on Romney because he's a smart man with major accomplishments not only in business, but also in governing. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:14 am »
The media and his opponents said he killed somebody because of insurance coverage, and he wasn't even at Bain when the poor lady was laid off.  The media and his opponents are going to savage him regardless of if he lives in a rustic cabin in the woods. What I hope is that I don't have to see GOP populist candidates in the primaries piling on Romney because he's a smart man with major accomplishments not only in business, but also in governing.

I hope that Romney decides not to run. He cannot get the nomination, and losing in that way would be humiliating.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 02:32:43 am »
I hope that Romney decides not to run. He cannot get the nomination, and losing in that way would be humiliating.

Yeah, he's had his chance.  I think he would have been a great president.  Much better than a career waffler in McCain, who would have been a one-term disaster.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:48:11 am »
I agree that he should not run; perhaps hit the campaign trail to "endorse" another candidate.  It is time for someone new...Cruz, Jindal, Paul, Walker and Perry.  We have a lot of really good GOP candidates and we don't need to run Romney again or another Bush.  It is time for positive change.

I also hope Sarah doesn't run as well.. With the exception of Perry, I don't want to see people who ran in 08 or 12 in 16.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 02:48:47 am »
Except for Carson and Rand, they have ALL been career government employees for the most part. (Unless milking the gullible media-entertainer gigs between campaigns)

Santorum, Huck, Cruz, Rubio, Perry, Bush etc. Not one has non-government achievements like Romney's.

Nevertheless I think the downside far exceeds the upside with Romney. (He may be content to go out a 3rd time loser.)

If it was me, I'd split my time between San Diego (La Jolla) and Park City. That would mean staying 2,000+ miles west of Wash DC.

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:11:49 am »
Except for Carson and Rand, they have ALL been career government employees for the most part. (Unless milking the gullible media-entertainer gigs between campaigns)

Santorum, Huck, Cruz, Rubio, Perry, Bush etc. Not one has non-government achievements like Romney's.

Nevertheless I think the downside far exceeds the upside with Romney. (He may be content to go out a 3rd time loser.)

If it was me, I'd split my time between San Diego (La Jolla) and Park City. That would mean staying 2,000+ miles west of Wash DC.

I figured we agreed on Romney.  I think this country missed out on a great leader, and instead elected a coddled child who has almost zero allies in DC, or even the world, outside of his inner circle, and also Islamists in the Middle East, respectively. 

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 03:29:43 am »

Agreed.