Author Topic: WSJ: US, Iraq Prepare Mosul Offensive Against ISIS  (Read 988 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WSJ: US, Iraq Prepare Mosul Offensive Against ISIS
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:48:58 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=620244

Newsmax
WSJ: US, Iraq Prepare Mosul Offensive Against ISIS
Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:53 PM

The United States and Iraq are preparing to retake Iraq's second-largest city Mosul from the Islamic State group by this summer, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

A group of Kurdish fighters and other Western-trained forces should be ready to launch the offensive by the spring or summer, the head of the U.S. military's Central Command General Lloyd Austin told the Journal.

"If we did things alone or with some of the other allies on the ground, it could move faster," he told the newspaper. "But the Iraqis have to do this themselves."

The general said he had not decided whether to recommend that U..S. accompany Iraqis on the offensive.

The US air strikes have recently focused on putting pressure on ISIS-held Mosul. Kurdish peshmerga forces have also launched successful offensives against IS-held roads near Mosul, which is in the north of the country.

The city once held well over a million people but now is likely a fraction of that size.

The general told the newspaper that the international coalition fighting IS has made significant headway in its battle to roll back the group's control over large swaths of the country.

Defense officials say their air strikes have killed thousands of jihadists.

The Iraqi government recently asked for more weapons to help its military that partially collapsed in early stages of the fight against ISID.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: WSJ: US, Iraq Prepare Mosul Offensive Against ISIS
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:07:01 pm »
I don't understand this thing of broadcasting that this offensive is going to take place "this summer".  To me, that just gives ISIS time to prepare.  Is this really sound military strategy?  Is it supposed to instill fear or something?  WTH?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:23:26 pm »
I don't understand this thing of broadcasting that this offensive is going to take place "this summer".  To me, that just gives ISIS time to prepare.  Is this really sound military strategy?  Is it supposed to instill fear or something?  WTH?

It's a loosing proposition for sure Alice but this administration has consistently insisted on doing it anyway! Perhaps that is because those calling the shots actually work for the guys who are NOT loosing!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:28:37 pm »
It's a loosing proposition for sure Alice but this administration has consistently insisted on doing it anyway! Perhaps that is because those calling the shots actually work for the guys who are NOT loosing!

My thoughts exactly.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 04:22:19 pm »
Good grief, I read that headline and thought for sure it was years old. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 07:58:14 pm »
Broadcasting is stupid. ISIL ALREADY know Mosul is a prime target - the dam alone gives whoever holds the city WAY too much power. Would anyone in their right mind leave control of something that can wash Baghdad out to sea in the hands of lunatics?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink