Author Topic: Politico: Tea Party, Down But Not Out, Plans 2016 Comeback  (Read 18880 times)

Offline olde north church

Re: Politico: Tea Party, Down But Not Out, Plans 2016 Comeback
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2015, 07:37:20 pm »
If you use such logic, coupled with the expansive, anything goes interpretation of the General Welfare Clause, then we have a government with no limitations and infinite power, since the actions of any elected official can be interpreted as the will of the people.

Using that logic, no law that the Congress passes, no Executive Order and no Judicial findings are unconstitutional since they were all crafted by elected representatives or their appointees.

By the same token, We the People have rights limited strictly to the narrowest definition of those rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights and subsequent Amendments, and even those rights are suspect since any violation (as per your argument above) is legitimate since it was the Will of the People as expressed via their votes for the government agency or representative responsible for the violation of those rights. 

I don't buy the "the Constitution doesn't prohibit it or list it so it must be OK" argument, since what's not prohibited or listed in the Constitution is a far greater list of things than the specific Enumerated Powers and restrictions.

I believe in limited government, not unlimited government.

Not something I believe personally Luis, just spit ballin' out here!  I like a government small enough to fit in a matchbox with room to spare!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »
Not something I believe personally Luis, just spit ballin' out here!  I like a government small enough to fit in a matchbox with room to spare!

I think that is the one thing that most of us share in common - our belief in a limited government.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2015, 07:46:35 pm »
I think that is the one thing that most of us share in common - our belief in a limited government.

Thought the very same thing when I read it.

Limited government, a powerful and READY military and lowered tax rates are probably the ONLY three planks in which we share a common interest.

Everything else seems to be up for debate.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2015, 07:49:03 pm »
Furthermore, IMO, the entire concept held by the writer regarding the so-called Tea Party is flawed.

The ONLY time the so-called Tea Party shows up is in the voting booth.

And we have smoked their a$$es on a national, state, county and city level across the country since 2010.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2015, 08:12:59 pm »
I like a government small enough to fit in a matchbox with room to spare!

When has anyone alive today seen that?  I'm all for it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2015, 08:38:46 pm »
Furthermore, IMO, the entire concept held by the writer regarding the so-called Tea Party is flawed.

And we have smoked their a$$es on a national, state, county and city level across the country since 2010.

:thumbsup:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2015, 11:02:07 pm »

While the TEA Party preexisted the Obama Presidency (there was a protest against illegal immigration in Alabama in 2005 that used the Boston Tea Party as a theme, and many believe that today's TEA Party grew out of the embers of Ron Paul's 2008 Presidential campaign) the Party/mindset itself gained national momentum as a reaction to Obama's policies.

So to say (as so many do) that the GOP victories these past two elections are the result of TEA Party activism is one of those causation/correlation things. While there is no argument (from me) denying the Party's ardent activism, Obama's unpopularity has driven a significant number of Independent voters to switch to the GOP in order to detail Democrats.

It's a collective effort.

Many have had a hand in smoking the DNC.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:02:41 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2015, 12:44:12 am »

SO true, DC!

Local Tea Party enthusiasts have sent donations nationally, worked at both the state and local level and most importantly VOTED.

The Tea Party got its beginnings in early 2009, largely because of Rick Santilli's CNBC rant in response to Obama's punitive fiscal policy, and was, and still is a widespread movement OF THE PEOPLE reacting against big government and fiscal irresponsibility.

While many have taken credit for it (Ron Paul, among others), it has truly been a grassroots movement........... bottom up.

That's why neither the GOP establishment, nor the Democrats, hard as they try, can get rid of us.

Disparage it as they may, the anti- Tea Party people aren't going to destroy a living, breathing American movement of the people.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2015, 12:46:43 am »
That should be "Santelli"............

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online libertybele

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2015, 02:36:38 am »
SO true, DC!

Local Tea Party enthusiasts have sent donations nationally, worked at both the state and local level and most importantly VOTED.

The Tea Party got its beginnings in early 2009, largely because of Rick Santilli's CNBC rant in response to Obama's punitive fiscal policy, and was, and still is a widespread movement OF THE PEOPLE reacting against big government and fiscal irresponsibility.

While many have taken credit for it (Ron Paul, among others), it has truly been a grassroots movement........... bottom up.

That's why neither the GOP establishment, nor the Democrats, hard as they try, can get rid of us.

Disparage it as they may, the anti- Tea Party people aren't going to destroy a living, breathing American movement of the people.

Absolutely!  TEA is very much alive ... just look at this post ... so far over 1400 views!   :patriot:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:38:26 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2015, 03:52:17 pm »
While the TEA Party preexisted the Obama Presidency (there was a protest against illegal immigration in Alabama in 2005 that used the Boston Tea Party as a theme, and many believe that today's TEA Party grew out of the embers of Ron Paul's 2008 Presidential campaign) the Party/mindset itself gained national momentum as a reaction to Obama's policies.

So to say (as so many do) that the GOP victories these past two elections are the result of TEA Party activism is one of those causation/correlation things. While there is no argument (from me) denying the Party's ardent activism, Obama's unpopularity has driven a significant number of Independent voters to switch to the GOP in order to detail Democrats.

It's a collective effort.

Many have had a hand in smoking the DNC.

The origination of the TEA Party began, IMO, as musiclady stated...Santelli's rant on the floor of the stock exchange.

That and nothing that happened somewhere in 2005 got me and another 800K people get off our a$$es and march down Independence Ave NW in Sept. 2009.

And causation has nothing to do with it.   Because anybody who votes against the status quo today is, in effect, a member of the TEA Party, whether they know it or not.

That's the beauty of it.  it's totally abstract. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 03:55:39 pm »

It's a blessing and a curse.  Because it is abstract and not trademarked by anyone in particular, anyone can exploit it for any purpose.  That includes people who wish to turn it into a bogeyman, including GOP moderates.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2015, 03:58:32 pm »
It's a blessing and a curse.  Because it is abstract and not trademarked by anyone in particular, anyone can exploit it for any purpose.  That includes people who wish to turn it into a bogeyman, including GOP moderates.

I'll go with "blessing".

Sure proves the saying that "Sticks and Stones.....", doesn't it?   ^-^

Offline musiclady

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2015, 04:29:01 pm »
The origination of the TEA Party began, IMO, as musiclady stated...Santelli's rant on the floor of the stock exchange.

That and nothing that happened somewhere in 2005 got me and another 800K people get off our a$$es and march down Independence Ave NW in Sept. 2009.

And causation has nothing to do with it.   Because anybody who votes against the status quo today is, in effect, a member of the TEA Party, whether they know it or not.

The photo I'm using as my avatar is from that absolutely AWESOME day in September.

It was one of the most amazing experiences in my husband's and my lives.  To be there marching in DC, knowing that there were not only a half a million people there walking shoulder to shoulder, but that we represented millions of people across the country who weren't able to get there........... it was just amazing.

There is no way that anyone, left or near left is going to get rid of this movement, because, as you said earlier, we're the VOTERS.

2010 and 2014 happened because of US.

And we're not going anywhere!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »
We were there too musiclady.  It was one of the most amazing days of my life!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2015, 06:00:05 pm »

According to Rush, it began with FReepers, according to Ron Paul, it began with the remnant of his last Presidential campaign remaining politically active.

In effect, it's disaffected people not happy with the government. It began as a loosely-knit non-partisan thing protesting taxation and morphed into a conservative thing, then sort of into a SoCon kind of a thing.

Since it has no leadership and no cohesiveness it can be anything to any one of those 800K people that you marched with says that it is, and each and everyone of those 800K people can say that it isn't anything someone else says that it is, because it isn't that to them.

Then there's the added factor that you induct membership by conscription "... anybody who votes against the status quo today is, in effect, a member of the TEA Party, whether they know it or not", inflating the ranks beyond reality. When I voted for Mitt Romney I was voting against the status quo (Barack Obama), but that doesn't make me a member of anything other than the GOP.

Fidel Castro had a line about everyone who went to work in his Cuba was a member of his "revolution". Mom and Dad worked because we needed to eat and pay the rent, but according to Fidel, hey were part of his revolution.

I get the whole thing. I just don't think it is very effective or as successful as it thinks that it is.

The TEA party thing, IMO, is more a marketing thing than anything else. Those 800K you marched with did not create a "new" polity, it just re marketed an existing one.

The Party is those "radical conservatives" Reagan talks about in his memoirs. they are Falwell's Silent Majority, JimRob's FReepers and Ron Paul's Revolution with a new image.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:47 pm »
We were there too musiclady.  It was one of the most amazing days of my life!

I wonder if we talked with each other?   Where were you standing?  ^-^   

Seriously...... the quality of people there, the love of country, the humor, the enthusiasm, the friendly atmosphere........ the NEAT streets afterward........ the camaraderie.......  it really was amazing, wasn't it?

I'm so proud to have been part of the biggest groundswell of American patriotism in a very, very VERY long time.

Those who put us down just don't understand what happened, and what is still happening.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2015, 06:32:25 pm »

The TEA party thing, IMO, is more a marketing thing than anything else. Those 800K you marched with did not create a "new" polity, it just re marketed an existing one.

The Party is those "radical conservatives" Reagan talks about in his memoirs. they are Falwell's Silent Majority, JimRob's FReepers and Ron Paul's Revolution with a new image.

Poppycock.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:14 pm »
Poppycock.

What new polity did it create that didn't already exist?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2015, 06:41:36 pm »
What new polity did it create that didn't already exist?

The response I made was to your  "Falwell's Silent Majority, JimRob's FReepers and Ron Paul's Revolution with a new image" nonsense.

The TEA PARTY isn't even remotely about 'marketing'  (other than our enemies who 'market' us in a hostile manner).  And it most certainly isn't a remake of FR, Ron Paul, or Falwell.

That diminishes the true unique blend of patriotic Americans who gathered together and who work together for a common goal.

And in reality, the expectation that a movement that is basically in its infancy would have developed 'polity' when none of its representatives have attained political power....... yet.......... is unrealistic at best.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2015, 06:43:58 pm »
The response I made was to your  "Falwell's Silent Majority, JimRob's FReepers and Ron Paul's Revolution with a new image" nonsense.

The TEA PARTY isn't even remotely about 'marketing'  (other than our enemies who 'market' us in a hostile manner).  And it most certainly isn't a remake of FR, Ron Paul, or Falwell.

That diminishes the true unique blend of patriotic Americans who gathered together and who work together for a common goal.

And in reality, the expectation that a movement that is basically in its infancy would have developed 'polity' when none of its representatives have attained political power....... yet.......... is unrealistic at best.

Let's drop the polity tag.

What is new about this group that no group possessed before it?

P.S. It's Rush that credits JimRob for creating the foundation to the TEA Party.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »
Let's drop the polity tag.

What is new about this group that no group possessed before it?

P.S. It's Rush that credits JimRob for creating the foundation to the TEA Party.

Rush doesn't always get it right.

What's new (at least in my 65 year lifetime) is the broad coalition of different kinds of people all wanting, and working for the same thing.  To put an end to government waste, and to shrink the size of government.  Though it isn't organized nationally (at least officially... perhaps in somebody like JR's eyes, but not in reality), it provides locally a source for national and state issues and information, and a means to coordinate political activism.

I've been interested and engaged in politics for more than five decades (within the GOP), and there's never been anything like this happen before.

And the fact is, that it's gone from large gatherings like the ones in DC (We were also at the "Kill the Bill" event),  to boots on the ground, but it hasn't diminished.

Only in the eyes of its critics.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:50 pm »

I missed that before.

That's the perfect example of how the lack of cohesiveness and structure of the movement allows it to be anything any one of its participants wants t to be.

DCPatriot says that "... we (The TEA Party) have smoked their a$$es on a national, state, county and city level across the country since 2010."

I'm not sure whose asses he's talking about, but someone's asses have been smoked.

libertbele says that the TEA Party is what gave the GOP its Congressional majorities, but you say that none of its representatives have attained political power.

It's truly difficult to hit a moving target.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »
Rush doesn't always get it right.

What's new (at least in my 65 year lifetime) is the broad coalition of different kinds of people all wanting, and working for the same thing.  To put an end to government waste, and to shrink the size of government.  Though it isn't organized nationally (at least officially... perhaps in somebody like JR's eyes, but not in reality), it provides locally a source for national and state issues and information, and a means to coordinate political activism.

I've been interested and engaged in politics for more than five decades (within the GOP), and there's never been anything like this happen before.

And the fact is, that it's gone from large gatherings like the ones in DC (We were also at the "Kill the Bill" event),  to boots on the ground, but it hasn't diminished.

Only in the eyes of its critics.

How is it a broad coalition?

What different kinds of people?

Your highlighted description  are simply conservative goals. The fact that there may be a number of new people working toward those goals don't make the goals new.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:55:49 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »
I missed that before.

That's the perfect example of how the lack of cohesiveness and structure of the movement allows it to be anything any one of its participants wants t to be.

DCPatriot says that "... we (The TEA Party) have smoked their a$$es on a national, state, county and city level across the country since 2010."

I'm not sure whose asses he's talking about, but someone's asses have been smoked.

libertbele says that the TEA Party is what gave the GOP its Congressional majorities, but you say that none of its representatives have attained political power.

It's truly difficult to hit a moving target.

Why do you want to 'hit' us, Luis?   :shrug:

The fact is that the movement is still very young, and even those who were elected in 2010 haven't gained political power within the DC power structure.  The longer the movement keeps electing representatives who share the same principles (the ones the Republican platform claims to support), the more powerful a political force it will become.

There are a few people in DC...... like Jim Jordan for example......... who had Tea Party principles before the movement actually began, and has been true to those principles consistently.............who have some stature within the Congressional system, but the newly elected representatives haven't been there long enough.

As time goes on there will be a greater percentage of conservatives elected, and I think then we'll see progress at a faster pace.