Author Topic: Five tips for watching State of the Union from CBS News’s Major Garrett  (Read 965 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/229997-five-tips-for-watching-state-of-the-union-from-cbs-newss-major-garrett

January 20, 2015, 10:30 am
Five tips for watching State of the Union from CBS News’s Major Garrett
By Judy Kurtz

He’s covered more than 20 State of the Union addresses since 1991, so who better than CBS News chief White House correspondent Major Garrett to give ITK readers the lowdown on what to look out for Tuesday night?

From gimmicks to drinking-game buzzwords, Garrett, an author and “Face the Nation” substitute anchor, shares his words of wisdom before President Obama’s address to a joint session of Congress at 9 p.m.
Here are Garrett’s top five tips for getting the most out Obama’s speech:

“1. This is the first pre-meditated hashtag State of the Union. Watch Twitter for hashtags on the president’s community college, paid leave, and tax proposals to gauge social media engagement and judge effectiveness of White House strategy to push its message beyond Beltway.

2. Watch Rep. Paul Ryan [R-Wis.], … chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee. Taxes and trade will run through his committee and he will set the tone for those debates and indirectly set the tone for the budget process as well.

3. Speaking of trade, listen for the number of sentences President Obama devotes to Trade Promotion authority and the nearly finished Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. Coalitions are building on both sides, the White House is creating a war room and the anti-trade wing of the Democratic Party is digging in. Obama will set the stage with how much emphasis he places on this priority.

4. Search for 2016 gimmicks. Will Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) or Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) try to grab any of the spotlight before, during, or after the speech? There’s camera time available. Will they lie low or try to stand out?

5. Who cries besides Speaker [John] Boehner [R-Ohio]? Who laughs? Who takes a nap? Who buddies up to Chief Justice [John] Roberts (with Affordable Care Act and gay marriage decisions looming)?

Bonus — Your drinking-game State of the Union word: ‘growth’ ”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Millee

I'll be busy walking my dog at that time.  Any waste she produces will still be better than the SOTU.   :smokin:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What's the drink word?
The Republic is lost.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline flowers

What's the drink word?
I, that way you can pass out way before he finishes so you won' t have to listen to the whole speech.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I, that way you can pass out way before he finishes so you won' t have to listen to the whole speech.

LOL...very true......haven't decided about a live thread yet...don't know if anyone is interested..
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Rush Limbaugh
3 mins ·
I'm not interested in watching the State of the Union. I'm not. I'm burned out on this stuff, folks. I know what's gonna happen. I do not like watching this guy. I do not like watching having my intelligence insulted.
Support the USO

Offline andy58-in-nh

What's the drink word?

"Fair" or "fairness".

Any reliance upon "I/Me/My" would result in alcohol poisoning.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

I never watch the—as Rush calls it, state of the union show. Our lives are already too taken up with politics. To actually try listening to that fool would shave IQ points.

Offline flowers

Rush Limbaugh
3 mins ·
I'm not interested in watching the State of the Union. I'm not. I'm burned out on this stuff, folks. I know what's gonna happen. I do not like watching this guy. I do not like watching having my intelligence insulted.
Same here. could care less this year.......................tonight is the beginning of Justified final season. I will be watching season 5 on DVD to catch up to tonight's show on FX

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Five tips for watching State of the Union from CBS News’s Major Garrett
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »
Rush Limbaugh
3 mins ·

Bingo.  That's exactly why I'm not watching it...Id rather see "Pawn Stars" than subject myself to more of his lies and taunts.  Don't bother with a live thread.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »
The only way I'll even consider watching this tonight is on Glenn Beck's channel.  They're going to show the SOTU - Mystery Science Theater style with wisecracks.  LOL! 

Even then, it will be hard to stomach. 

:3:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
That's what I'm going to do. I haven't been able to watch a SOTU since Obama's first such atrocity in 2009.

At least this way (on the Blaze), there's some chance for levity.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:11 pm »
I think we'll watch something more meaningful; either the "Patriot" or "We Were Soldiers" ... you know, something that actually leaves you with the feeling of patriotism and the American Dream.   :patriot:   :patriot:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.