Author Topic: Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Diversity Task Force Meeting After ‘Selma’ Oscar Snub  (Read 1292 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Diversity Task Force Meeting After ‘Selma’ Oscar Snub

Posted By Chuck Ross On 4:28 PM 01/15/2015 In | 1 Comment

MSNBC host and civil rights activist Al Sharpton is calling for an emergency meeting of his eight-member diversity task force to discuss action against the Academy Awards after the movie “Selma” received only one Oscars nomination.

“The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher you get, the whiter it gets,” Sharpton said with usual flair in a statement released Thursday after the announcement of Oscar nominations.

Many, including Sharpton, were outraged that none of the actors in “Selma,” a movie about the 1965 Voting Rights Act, were nominated for the golden statues.

David Oyelowo, who portrayed Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. in the movie, did not receive a nomination. Nor did director Ava DuVernay.

This was the second time since 2000 that no black actors or actresses were nominated for an Oscar.

“The lack of diversity in today’s Oscar nominations is appalling and while it is good that Selma was nominated for ‘Best Picture,’ it’s ironic that they nominated a story about the racial shutout around voting while there is a racial shutout around the Oscar nominations,” Sharpton continued in his statement.

“I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards.”

Sharpton formed the task force last month after the hack and release of racially-themed emails sent between Sony Pictures executives. Sharpton called on Sony head Amy Pascal to address the issue of Hollywood’s lack of diversity.

“In the time of Staten Island and Ferguson, to have one of the most shutout Oscar nights in recent memory is something that is incongruous,” Sharpton told The New York Daily News on Thursday.

Sharpton’s outrage comes a year after the success of “12 Years a Slave,” which was based on the autobiography of Solomon Northup, a free black man who was captured and sold into slavery in the 1840s. The movie won Best Picture, and actress Lupita N’yongo won the award for Best Supporting Actress. Steve McQueen and Chiwetel Ejiofor were nominated for Best Director and Best Actor, respectively.

Follow Chuck on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/15/sharpton-calls-for-emergency-diversity-task-force-meeting-after-selma-oscar-snub/

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
"Selma" was made for one reason, to sweep the Academy Awards.

Truly, it is surprising that it did not, given the fact these are the same people who overwhelming voted for "12 Years a Slave," and less than half had even seen it.  They voted for it simply because of the word "slave" in the title.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

rangerrebew

Truly, it is surprising that it did not, given the fact these are the same people who overwhelming voted for "12 Years a Slave," and less than half had even seen it.  They voted for it simply because of the word "slave" in the title.

Let us not forget Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize after only 17 days in office.  Same thing.

Offline GourmetDan

Hence the need for an 'emergency' meeting...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I have an 'emergency' need for Al Sharpton to come and kiss my lilly White ass.

I don't care if he is Obama's butt boy, he will never be anything but a liar, a grifter, and a charlatan to me. Al Sharpton is a clown. No makeup. Put a red nose on him, and that is all you need.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

We know it will win best picture for sure now. I thought it would the minute I heard it was up for best picture. I too am surprised that is the only category it is in. Well from now on it will be people of color can only win the Oscar. That show was crap as it was and has been for years. I didn't think it could get worse, yet it will be.  :smokin:

Offline musiclady

I haven't seen Selma, but 12 Years a Slave was an excellent movie with a compelling story line, great acting, and beautiful cinematography.

If they HAD seen it (Hollywood is filled with racists, so I'm not surprised they hadn't seen it), they would have voted for it anyway.

Great film.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.