Author Topic: Cotton talks about Iran  (Read 650 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Cotton talks about Iran
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:11:51 pm »
Cotton talks about Iran

By Jennifer Rubin January 13

We suspected Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) would have a positive effect on the Senate. The veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan did not disappoint in a speech today at the Heritage Foundation.

He began with a simple reminder why we must oppose Iranian nuclear and territorial ambitions:

Iran is a radical, Islamist tyrannical regime. Upon coming to power, among its first actions was to invade sovereign American territory — our embassy in Tehran — and hold Americans hostage for over a year, an act of war for which it has never fully answered. The Iranian constitution states that Iran’s Army and Revolutionary Guard “will be responsible … for fulfilling the ideological mission of jihad in God’s way; that is, extending the sovereignty of God’s law throughout the world.” . . . . Iran has been killing Americans for over thirty-five years. In 1983, Iran helped finance and direct the bombing of the U.S. Embassy and Marine barracks in Beirut, killing hundreds of American military, diplomatic, and intelligence personnel. In violation of all civilized norms, Iran helped plan and direct the hijacking of TWA Flight 847, which resulted in the death of a Navy diver. Iran has been implicated in the 1996 Khobar Tower bombings, which killed 19 American troops stationed in Saudi Arabia at the time. More recently, and more personally for me, Iran is responsible for the killing and maiming of thousands of American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In short, Iran is at war with the West just as the Islamic State is. While operating a repressive totalitarian state at home, the Iranian regime “conducts many of these operations against America and our allies through terrorist proxies, as Iran remains the worst state sponsor of terrorism in the world, according to President Obama’s own State  Department. Iran is a lead financer and arms supplier of Hamas, Hezbollah, and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, vile terrorist organizations dedicated to destroying Israel. Iran has supported opposition Islamists in Yemen. And Iran has thousands of fighters on the ground in Syria to prop up Bashar al-Assad’s outlaw regime. While Iran likes to boast that it has joined the fight against the Islamic State, it’s done so only to protect Assad, and has threatened to attack U.S. forces currently fighting against the Islamic State if they target the Assad regime.”

Excerpt: Much more at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2015/01/13/cotton-talks-about-iran/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Cotton talks about Iran
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:13:01 pm »
We can fight Isis till hell freezes over but until we deal with Iran once and for all NOTHING is going to change!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:13 pm »
We can fight Isis till hell freezes over but until we deal with Iran once and for all NOTHING is going to change!

So we should go to war with Iran?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:18:42 pm »
So we should go to war with Iran?

If that is what it takes yes! But the fact is that WE don't have to go to war with Iran! All we have to do is work with the millions of Iranians who have experienced freedom in their lives and THEY will take care of the rest!

JEEZ you are SO ready to jump to conclusions!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:20:40 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »
JEEZ you are SO ready to jump to conclusions!

We don't have to go to war with Iran! All we have to do is work with the millions of Iranians who have experienced freedom in their lives and THEY will take care of the rest!

I was simply asking a question. It wasn't entirely obvious that you were not talking about war. How do we begin the process of working with Iranians and getting them to deal with the problem themselves?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »
I was simply asking a question. It wasn't entirely obvious that you were not talking about war. How do we begin the process of working with Iranians and getting them to deal with the problem themselves?

Get rid of the idiot currently in the white house and let the CIA do what it does!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:25:35 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:57:34 am »
Dex asked above:
[[ So we should go to war with Iran? ]]

OK, I'll answer.

We should do what is necessary to seriously cripple or destroy Iran's nuclear weapons program.

If that involves "war", well, so be it.

I sense that we could accomplish our goals without too much "ground contact".
But if that has to be, we should go in and give them a well-deserved "payback" for "the embassy".
Go in, blast the hell out of them, and then.... leave them to the dust and ruins.

So there.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 05:59:28 pm »
We, the most expensive military in the world, could barely handle Iraq. What makes anyone think that a war with much bigger, much more mountainous and much more stable Iran is going to yield anything better?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:47:44 pm »
We, the most expensive military in the world, could barely handle Iraq. What makes anyone think that a war with much bigger, much more mountainous and much more stable Iran is going to yield anything better?

If the United States made up it's mind to do it we could take Iran in a month tops!  But, as I have already said on this thread, there is no need for us to do that!  All that is needed is a real commitment to the right people in Iran and they will do it for us!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 07:08:45 pm »
If the United States made up it's mind to do it we could take Iran in a month tops!  But, as I have already said on this thread, there is no need for us to do that!  All that is needed is a real commitment to the right people in Iran and they will do it for us!

Exactly. Young Iranians want to be free of the mullahs. Provide them with the means and it won't be long before the theocratic government falls.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 07:27:22 pm »
Because that strategy worked so well in Cuba.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:01 pm »
Because that strategy worked so well in Cuba.

I our current president had done the right thing early on in his presidency the mess in Iran would have long since cheesed to exist!  But, of course, he did the polar opposite and we are where we are as a result!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 10:06:23 pm »

Iran is stable in the same way supercooled water stays liquid until a single grain of dust falls into it.

My brother is advocating introducing that grain of dust. I would tend to agree with him, though it will be messy from a regional perspective.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink