Author Topic: Long Tail of an Allie Cat  (Read 8502 times)

Offline aligncare

Long Tail of an Allie Cat
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:29:28 pm »
The Long Tail of an Allie Cat

This little girl is Allie.
I rescued her from the city shelter when she was 7-months-old.
She'll be two next month.

Allie is sweet and loving. An adorable tuxedo with a very long tail and a perfect goatee.
She hogs my bed and when I step out of the shower she pesters me for a warm sponge bath.

Allie's arrival energized my buddy Tom Sawyer, an eight-year-old tabby.

Sawyer seems to enjoy Allie's company

Here is Sawyer and his compadre, Piper. A petite, but feisty 6-year-old tortoiseshell

Piper

A real firecracker

But, don't scratch her belly!

Allie was quickly accepted by Sawyer. But, by Piper, not so much – my daughter says it's a girl thing.
But, after a few months of hissing and growling when Allie got too close, Piper settled down – she even grooms Allie at times.

But, now Allie is very sick. Severely jaundiced. She's lost weight and is very lethargic.
Blood test indicate her liver is not functioning. Her kidneys may be failing, too.

I volunteer with Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue. We take stray and feral cats, some sick with feline leukemia or immunodeficiency disease, some injured or with congenital anomalies, and we give them veterinary care and find them loving homes. It has been one of the greatest blessings in my life to help these wonderful animal companions.

Now, Allie needs a miracle. And this is devastating me. She has given me so much. And I feel helpless to save her.

Please pray for my gentile loving cat with the very long tail and perfect goatee, who crowds me in my bed and purrs me to sleep.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:46:15 pm by aligncare »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: The Long Tail of an Allie Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 10:37:08 pm »
That is too bad. My wife has acquired cats for our household for decades, by raising strays, ferals, near ferals, etc.

She took in a near feral pregnant female and helped her give birth, then raise her kittens in our closet.

We kept a male from the kittens, and he became our good buddy. His mother remained hard to even touch, but stayed with us.

Anyway our pet cat was killed and carried away by the coyotes which have become common in our area, since the environmentalists have restored/preserved nearby wetlands, but also changed the lives of the species.

They messed up the habitat of the coyotes, so the coyotes merely moved closer to the humans and their pets.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:40:23 pm »
I volunteer with Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue. We take stray and feral cats, some sick with feline leukemia or immunodeficiency disease, some injured or with congenital anomalies, and we give them veterinary care and find them loving homes. It has been one of the greatest blessings in my life to help these wonderful animal companions.

With that many cats at home, you might consider some basic bio-hazard precautions so you don't bring stuff back from the shelter...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:44:56 pm »
Prayers for Allie - I do believe in miracles!

888heartkitty

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »
With that many cats at home, you might consider some basic bio-hazard precautions so you don't bring stuff back from the shelter...

Yes, you're quite right. One time I brought a URI home. My cats each in turn had a cold for a month.

Now, when I return from the shelter no one gets petted until I shower and my clothes sequestered.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:02:12 pm »
Prayers for Allie - I do believe in miracles!

888heartkitty

Thank you, alice.

Allie is in the hospital. They're hydrating her, feeding her intravenously and she's on antibiotics. This is her second night. At this point the etiology is unknown. It could even be environmental, pesticides or maybe she ingested something. The veterinarian is unsure.

But I believe she's more comfortable now. Thanks again for the kind wishes.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 11:26:44 pm »
I hope everything turns out well with Allie, AC.

So young......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 11:46:17 pm »
I hope everything turns out well with Allie, AC.

So young......

Thanks, DC. I'm really attached to Allie. I've seen hundreds of cats in my volunteer work, but Allie was special. The sweetest cat I ever met. A gentle soul she was, uh, is.

I must struggle against encroaching fatalism.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 12:25:14 am »
Special prayers for Allie.. :0001:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 12:27:34 am »
Special prayers for Allie.. :0001:

Thank you, myst. Blood tests were not very encouraging but I still have hope.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »
Going to the hospital this afternoon to see Allie and speak with the vet. I'll give a status update later. Fingers crossed.   :0001:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 09:10:40 am »
I visited Allie in the hospital today and spent an hour holding her. She is still very sick. But I have hope. Friday they will run another liver panel and the doctor is hopeful her bilirubin will have dropped. Her gums and ears are still quite yellow, though. Her voice weak, just a mere squeak. It broke my heart. But I know she was comforted by my presence.

After a few minutes she settled into my arms and even dozed off a few times. Before I left I placed her on the floor and she started to show some natural curiosity and explored the exam room. That was a hopeful sign. I'll keep up my visits until she is better.

I didn't think to take a picture to post here. Tomorrow I will.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
I visited Allie in the hospital today and spent an hour holding her. She is still very sick. But I have hope. Friday they will run another liver panel and the doctor is hopeful her bilirubin will have dropped. Her gums and ears are still quite yellow, though. Her voice weak, just a mere squeak. It broke my heart. But I know she was comforted by my presence.

After a few minutes she settled into my arms and even dozed off a few times. Before I left I placed her on the floor and she started to show some natural curiosity and explored the exam room. That was a hopeful sign. I'll keep up my visits until she is better.

I didn't think to take a picture to post here. Tomorrow I will.

Thanks for update on Allie, AC!

Sincerely hope she turns the corner on this and that you can enjoy her at home again.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15:00 pm »
Thanks for update on Allie, AC!

Sincerely hope she turns the corner on this and that you can enjoy her at home again.

Thank you, DC. I've never been so emotionally invested in a kitty before.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »
Thank you, DC. I've never been so emotionally invested in a kitty before.

Glad to hear of any hopeful thing!  I'll keep on praying for Allie.  This is good to hear.

:amen:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 03:03:44 pm »
Glad to hear of any hopeful thing!  I'll keep on praying for Allie.  This is good to hear.

:amen:

Thanks, alice. My outlook has perked up since visiting her yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing her improved today – even if it's just a little bit better that will be a good sign.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »
So sorry little Allie is sick, AC.  I hope the doc can find a cure.  888catlicking
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:38 pm »
So sorry little Allie is sick, AC.  I hope the doc can find a cure.  888catlicking

Thank you so much.

I just got back from the animal hospital. Silly me. I should've called ahead. They're closed today.

I'm very disappointed I was not able to see her and if she's had any improvement.

I'll try visiting tomorrow morning.

You guys have been great. Thank you so much for all your concern. I promise some status photos as soon as possible.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 08:52:11 pm »
Thank you so much.

I just got back from the animal hospital. Silly me. I should've called ahead. They're closed today.

I'm very disappointed I was not able to see her and if she's had any improvement.

I'll try visiting tomorrow morning.

You guys have been great. Thank you so much for all your concern. I promise some status photos as soon as possible.

Can somebody explain how the vet can take care of sick animals...IF THEY"RE CLOSED ALL DAY?   

And if somebody was there on site, feeding and sitting them, they could have let you go inside to see her.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 09:08:03 pm »
Can somebody explain how the vet can take care of sick animals...IF THEY"RE CLOSED ALL DAY?   

And if somebody was there on site, feeding and sitting them, they could have let you go inside to see her.

The very thoughts I had. She's very, very ill. I became worried and distraught when I saw the door was locked and a "sorry we're closed" sign!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »
Visited Allie at the hospital this morning

As the assistant placed her down
I could see she was more energetic

The doctor said she's eating on her own
now. Previously she had to be force-fed.
Intravenous feeding was contraindicated
with her liver condition.

Her voice was stronger,
but still a plaintive squeak.
Notice the jaundice at the ear.
It will be weeks before it resolves.

Treatment will continue today. Afterward a liver panel to monitor progress. She'll remain at the hospital another few days. Her prognosis for recovery is still 50/50. Not out of the woods yet.....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 05:42:11 pm »
Thanks for the update and pics, Sal!   :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »
I hope I can soon give a truly positive update.

Thanks for continuing to follow her progress. I know you're a cat lover. That makes you good people in my book.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 06:24:50 pm »
I hope I can soon give a truly positive update.

Thanks for continuing to follow her progress. I know you're a cat lover. That makes you good people in my book.

So glad to hear Allie is heading in the right direction Sal - healing prayers continuing!

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 02:28:13 am »
She is such a beautiful cat.