Author Topic: U.S. High-Level Absence From Paris March Controversial — Except at AP  (Read 1136 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

CNN’s Jake Tapper Is Disappointed By US Absence At Paris Unity Rally [VIDEO]

Posted By Chuck Ross On 12:44 PM 01/11/2015 In | 2 Comments

The United States should have been represented at a unity rally held Sunday in Paris and attended by more than 40 world leaders, CNN’s Jake Tapper said during a news segment.

“I don’t mean this as a criticism of the Obama administration, but just as an American I do wish that we were better represented in this beautiful procession of world leaders,” Tapper stated.

It is estimated that more than 1 million people attended the unity rally, which was held in response to the murders of 17 people at the hands of Islamist terrorists this week.

The rally was highlighted by a rare public display of unity among top world leaders, including French President Francois Hollande, British Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and dozens of others, who marched arm in arm through the streets of Paris.

Notably absent: President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Sec. of State John Kerry.

“I’m a little disappointed, personally — this is me speaking personally, not as a representative of CNN, but as an American — that there isn’t more of a display of unity here,” Tapper continued.

He pointed out that Attorney General Eric Holder is the highest-level U.S. representative currently in France. He is there to attend a conference on extremism, but did not attend the rally. He instead sat for interviews with NBC, CBS, and CNN.

“This is just one of the most incredible events I have ever attended, and the positivity that these people of France are embracing,” Tapper continued.

“This is a rally that is expressing brotherhood and sisterhood and it’s a beautiful thing to behold.”

Tapper responded to commenters on Twitter, saying that he was not specifically criticizing President Obama for the lack of U.S. presence, though decisions whether or not to send top dignitaries to such events are usually made at the highest levels of the White House.

WATCH:

Follow Chuck on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/11/cnns-jake-tapper-is-disappointed-by-us-absence-at-paris-unity-rally-video/

rangerrebew

Re: U.S. High-Level Absence From Paris March Controversial — Except at AP
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »

U.S. High-Level Absence From Paris March Controversial — Except at AP

By Tom Blumer | January 11, 2015 | 11:59 PM EST

Thus far, the nation's de facto news gatekeepers at the Associated Press, aka the Administration's Press, have utterly failed to address the growing worldwide controversy over the absence of U.S. representation above the ambassador level at Sunday's solidarity march in Paris in the wake of Wednesday's Charlie Hebdo massacre. Crowd estimates for the Paris march range from "hundreds of thousands" to over 1.5 million.

The New York Daily News is calling the absence of a top U.S. leader "a glaring exception," and devoting its entire front page to telling our government that "You Let the World Down." The UK Daily Mail is treating the situation as a snub, also observing that Attorney General Eric Holder "was in Paris for a terrorism summit held on the march's sidelines, but he slipped away and made appearances on four American morning television talk shows just as the incredible rally was starting." But Angela Charlton and Thomas Adamson at the AP, in report carrying a 7:07 p.m. ET time stamp (saved here for future reference, fair use and discussion purposes), apparently found nothing unusual in the U.S. non-presence:

MILLIONS RALLY FOR UNITY AGAINST TERRORISM IN FRANCE

More than a million people surged through the boulevards of Paris behind dozens of world leaders walking arm-in-arm Sunday in a rally for unity described as the largest demonstration in French history. Millions more marched around the country and the world to repudiate three days of terror that killed 17 people and changed France.

Amid intense security and with throngs rivaling those that followed the liberation of Paris from the Nazis, the city became "the capital of the world" for a day, on a planet increasingly vulnerable to such cruelty.

More than 40 world leaders headed the somber procession - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas; Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov - setting aside their differences with a common rallying cry: We stand together against barbarity, and we are all Charlie.

... "The entire world is under attack" from radical Islam, (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu said, citing attacks in cities from Madrid to Mumbai. He said these aren't isolated incidents but part of a "network of hatred" by radical groups.

(Paragraph 23 of 28)

... The U.S. was represented at the Paris rally by Ambassador Jane Hartley. At an international conference in India, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the world stood with the people of France "not just in anger and in outrage, but in solidarity and commitment to the cause of confronting extremism and in the cause that extremists fear so much and that has always united our countries: freedom."

The Daily Mail's take: "President Barack Obama and other top members of his administration have snubbed a historic rally in Paris today that brought together more than 40 world leaders from Europe, Africa, the Middle East and even Russia."

One cannot fail to note that the same Eric Holder, who was on location and failed to participate — even though many of the heads of state who participated, particularly Netanyahu, clearly had far more to fear by appearing — has called the country which employs him a "nation of cowards" on race.

Reuters earlier tonight reported: "Lack of top-level U.S. official at Paris march raises some eyebrows at home."

Even the notoriously left-leaning CNN, the crowd size outlier estimating only that "hundreds of thousands" attended, noted: "Obama, Kerry absent from unity rally in Paris," and reported that Holder "was not spotted at the unity march."

But the Associated Press, which works daily to earn its nickname as the Administration's Press, sees nothing out of order in any of this. In doing so, it may be sending a message to the country's early morning news shows — except for Fox News, which as usual, is on it — to stay away from the otherwise recognized controversy. We'll see if they comply.

Cross-posted at BizzyBlog.com.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2015/01/11/us-high-level-absence-paris-march-controversial-%E2%80%94-except-ap

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:37 pm »
NY Daily News: Obama’s Shameful Absence

By Robert Gehl, January 12, 2015.

The left-wing New York Daily News ran an editorial yesterday on the Obama Administration’s noticeable absence from a rally in Paris last week after the Islamic terrorist attacks against Charlie Hebdo. For correctly calling out the President for this shameful lack of support, it is worthy of reprint in its entirety:

Displaying powerful symbolic unity, in fitting and proper testament to the defense of civilization, more than 40 world leaders linked arms to lead the mass march in Paris in resolve against Islamist terror.

The United States of America, Barack Obama, President, was inexcusably absent from one of the most critical turning points in the war between radical Islam and the West since 9/11.

No Obama. No Joe Biden. No John Kerry from State. No Chuck Hagel or Ashton Carter from Defense. Not even Eric Holder from Justice, who happened to have been in Paris.

Yet there was British Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, Jordan’s King Abdullah and so many others — most extraordinarily including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

All linked arms with French President Francoise Hollande, leader of the country where terrorists killed 17 in a deliberate attack on democratic values, leader of one of America’s most stalwart allies in the war on terror.

Still worse, Obama’s abdication of leadership reflects a larger presidential failure to convey the gravity of the Charlie Hebdo attack, even if the substance of his anti-terror policy remains strong.

On Friday, shortly after the assault reached its fatal climax, Obama appeared at a campaign-style rally in Tennessee to tout economic good news. He opened with happy talk, then devoted 310 perfunctory words to the events in Paris. Two hours later, he delivered more happy talk at a second Tennessee rally.

On Saturday, he opened his weekly radio address: “Hi, everybody. About a year ago, I promised that 2014 would be a breakthrough year for America. And this week, we got more evidence to back that up.”

Bypassing Paris, the President closed, “Thanks, everybody, and have a great weekend.”

Not in Paris. Not in the U.S. Not in the world under siege.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:56:26 pm »
They love the muzzies so much they didn't even want Holder to go, even though he was in Paris at the time.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:14 pm »
They love the muzzies so much they didn't even want Holder to go, even though he was in Paris at the time.

I wonder if Holder was in Paris to try to protect the civil rights of the terrorists?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 04:25:10 pm »
I wonder if Holder was in Paris to try to protect the civil rights of the terrorists?

I just assumed he was in Paris to meet with Al Qaeda.  And what was John Kerry so busy doing?  You'd think he'd knock everybody down for a chance to go to France! 

I also assume that this "Global Summit" they're hosting in Feb. will be mostly attended by the Muslim Brotherhood.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 04:29:48 pm »
I just assumed he was in Paris to meet with Al Qaeda.  And what was John Kerry so busy doing?  You'd think he'd knock everybody down for a chance to go to France! 

I also assume that this "Global Summit" they're hosting in Feb. will be mostly attended by the Muslim Brotherhood.

Kerry was in India.  http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/01/confirmed_obama_watched_nfl_playoffs_instead_of_going_to_paris.html

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:29 pm »
I don't fault Obama for not linking arms with people in a huge crowd like I saw in a picture.  Security must be a nightmare for the Secret Service in a situation like that.  Maybe he could have showed up in Paris and had a photo op with other world leaders in a more controlled environment.

Holder shouldn't have been in that crowd, either.  The last thing we need is an official race hustler assassinated "in the line of duty".

Kerry should have been there.  He has equivocated enough regarding terrorism that no militant group is going to target him.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:47 pm »
Gawd.  He's starting to look like an old dried up liberal woman!

Sigh.

His face looks like a Halloween mask...chainsaw massacre type mask.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:20 pm »
His face looks like a Halloween mask...chainsaw massacre type mask.

If my dog looked like him I shave her ass and teach her to walk backwards.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 07:28:36 pm »
I don't fault Obama for not linking arms with people in a huge crowd like I saw in a picture.  Security must be a nightmare for the Secret Service in a situation like that.  Maybe he could have showed up in Paris and had a photo op with other world leaders in a more controlled environment.

Holder shouldn't have been in that crowd, either.  The last thing we need is an official race hustler assassinated "in the line of duty".

Kerry should have been there.  He has equivocated enough regarding terrorism that no militant group is going to target him.
What about that huge crowd he was in when Mandela died?

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 08:12:41 pm »
What about that huge crowd he was in when Mandela died?

I had assumed (and I assume I assumed correctly) that the venue for Mandela's funeral was well-secured beforehand but the street in Paris not so much.  However . . .

Since the time of my previous post I discovered that the pictures of the "rally" attended by world leaders in Paris wasn't a rally at all.  It was a photo op for which Zero should have been present.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:08 am »
[[ The United States should have been represented at a unity rally held Sunday in Paris and attended by more than 40 world leaders, CNN’s Jake Tapper said during a news segment. ]]

This WAS NOT an oversight or bungled judgement.

The "U.S. Absence" was INTENTIONAL.
It is designed to send a message.