Author Topic: Obama wants community college to be free  (Read 1783 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obama wants community college to be free
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 03:57:10 pm »
Maybe it was just my major (it required a great deal of specialized coursework), but what I saw in college was that if you were in a four-year institution you could (and often had to if your major was a STEM field, the kind of field they seem to love to push these days) take some of the higher-level (junior and senior level) courses during your sophomore year. Most community colleges don't offer those courses and even if they did, they generally wouldn't transfer them.

I took a couple of community college courses in high school (I was a somewhat advanced student, far from best in my class but good enough to qualify) that transferred without a problem.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 04:05:32 pm »
Maybe it was just my major (it required a great deal of specialized coursework), but what I saw in college was that if you were in a four-year institution you could (and often had to if your major was a STEM field, the kind of field they seem to love to push these days) take some of the higher-level (junior and senior level) courses during your sophomore year. Most community colleges don't offer those courses and even if they did, they generally wouldn't transfer them.

I took a couple of community college courses in high school (I was a somewhat advanced student, far from best in my class but good enough to qualify) that transferred without a problem.

Maybe your major, or your bias? My degree was called BSET. It's BS in electrical/electronic engineering technology. Sort of a low grade EE, however I did many of the same rigorous circuit analysis courses, Laplace transforms, circuit design and programming. That was done with a 2+2. The fact that I couldn't take 3rd year classes in my 2nd year didn't really hold me back.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 04:28:56 pm »
The community colleges where I live are turning out graduates with REAL practical skills that serve them well in the labor market! Many of them wind up making far more money than most of those with advanced degrees from "REAL" universities.

The same is true where I am.  Community colleges are doing a great job to educate and train students for real life, and spend less time indoctrinating them with leftist groupthink.  (At least that's my perception).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.