Author Topic: Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker  (Read 19390 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mia-love-explains-why-she-voted-for-john-boehner-as-house-speaker/article/2558302

Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker
BY ASHE SCHOW | JANUARY 7, 2015 | 12:17 PM

Rep. Mia Love, R-Utah, shocked some conservatives Tuesday when the first vote she cast as a new congresswoman was to keep Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, as House speaker.

Twitter erupted, with several people claiming to be in her district saying they had lost faith in their previous hero, and that she had shown her true self. Remember, this was not a vote on legislation, it was a vote for the speaker of the House.

Love, in a email to the Washington Examiner, provided some insight into why she chose to keep Boehner as GOP leader.

“There were no qualified or notable campaigns for speaker within the Republican Party other than John Boehner,” Love said. “Casting a vote for a candidate who has not actively campaigned and does not have the support to be speaker is an indirect vote for Nancy Pelosi, and I will not vote for Nancy Pelosi.”

Love also reminded voters that she is playing the long game when it comes to fighting for conservative principles.

“There will be a time and a place for me to stand as a lone voice of dissension, but the vote for the speaker, is not that place,” Love said. “For me to be an effective congressman over the next two years it is important for me to be on the side of the elected speaker.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:11 pm »
“Casting a vote for a candidate who has not actively campaigned and does not have the support to be speaker is an indirect vote for Nancy Pelosi, and I will not vote for Nancy Pelosi.”

Didn't take her long to learn how to lie...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:38:08 pm »
Didn't take her long to learn how to lie...

How is she lying?  There were no other viable candidates. Webster, the guy who got the most votes after Boehner, never said anything about wanting to be speaker.

The whole exercise was a farce and made the 25 who did it look like total fools.  Louie Gohmert will never be taken seriously again.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »
It takes GREAT courage to challenge a sitting speaker! I wouldn't trade one Louis Gohmert for all the John Boehners you can drag up!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:49:44 pm »
It's easy for someone to rationalize their actions but doing so does not make them right!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »
It takes GREAT courage to challenge a sitting speaker! I wouldn't trade one Louis Gohmert for all the John Boehners you can drag up!

And I guess we found out which reps have courage and which ones don't...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »
And I guess we found out which reps have courage and which ones don't...

We sure as heck found out who values their status more than their principles!

That is for sure!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »
How is she lying?  There were no other viable candidates. Webster, the guy who got the most votes after Boehner, never said anything about wanting to be speaker.

The whole exercise was a farce and made the 25 who did it look like total fools.  Louie Gohmert will never be taken seriously again.
How is she lying? Specifically, the fact that she claimed a vote against Boehner was a vote for Pelosi. As other articles have stated, that is patently false. Only a present vote would have had that effect. A vote for anyone else would not have affected anything, since there was no way Pelosi could get a majority of voting members if every Republican voted. This is the same trap that got Lindsey Graham re-elected, and I would not put it past Boehner's minions to purposely lie to the freshmen by saying such a thing. The fact that every single freshman rep voted for Boehner certainly leads me to that conclusion.

A vote for Gohmert, who was actively campaigning despite Love's false assertion otherwise, would have sufficed.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Carling

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:24:06 pm »

A vote for Gohmert, who was actively campaigning despite Love's false assertion otherwise, would have sufficed.

So Mia Love should vote for a Bozo who only managed 3 votes, which include one for himself, to prove what point?  The only thing it would have done would make her as worthless as the Tea 25, who just ended any voice they have in the House on this act of folly.

The really good part of this, IMO, is that the kook fringe has already been marginalized in the House.  Rest up, send them your money, and get ready to lose many more primaries in 2016 like a good Gruberite does!
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »

Yes she is lying -- do the math -- there weren't enough Democrats in the House to actually  give Pelosi to give  the speakership ... and if Love didn't realize that then, well, she should be in the position that she's in.

The "house" members can elected ANYONE they want ... they don't have to even be a member of the House.  IMO Boehner is NOT qualified to Head a House that has a GOP majority ... he is a RINO and no different than a liberal Democrat.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
So Mia Love should vote for a Bozo who only managed 3 votes, which include one for himself, to prove what point?  The only thing it would have done would make her as worthless as the Tea 25, who just ended any voice they have in the House on this act of folly.

The really good part of this, IMO, is that the kook fringe has already been marginalized in the House.  Rest up, send them your money, and get ready to lose many more primaries in 2016 like a good Gruberite does!

Wake up!  TEA is what got is the majority in both Houses.  The GOPe would rather see America destroyed by the fringe leftist mental midgets; they are all from the same country club.  TEA right now is what is holding this country together.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:56:03 pm »

Wake up!  TEA is what got us the majority in both Houses.  The GOPe would rather see America destroyed by the fringe leftist mental midgets; they are all from the same country club.  TEA right now is what is holding this country together.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:56:28 pm by libertybele »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:09 pm »
The tantrum is gaining epic proportions.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Carling

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:13:04 pm »
Wake up!  TEA is what got is the majority in both Houses.  The GOPe would rather see America destroyed by the fringe leftist mental midgets; they are all from the same country club.  TEA right now is what is holding this country together.

Delusions of grandeur?  The TEA 25 just got their asses handed to them.  Much like their PACs, they were disorganized, inconsistent, and couldn't put together a coalition of reps to actually make the change.  So, instead the TEA are celebrating a useless moral victory, when the reality is they just got placed at the kids' table in the House.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:00 pm »
The tantrum is gaining epic proportions.

Oh my...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »
I'm sorry, but these accusations that someone is lying when they say what you don't like has to stop.

You can say that you think Love's statement is incorrect, but to accuse her of "lying???"

Ridiculous.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:08:33 pm »
I'm sorry, but these accusations that someone is lying when they say what you don't like has to stop.

You can say that you think Love's statement is incorrect, but to accuse her of "lying???"

Ridiculous.

Thank you for the refreshing remark.

I have spent most of my career around labor unions.  I always tell them I will never lie to them.  I might tell them something that is dead-wrong, but I will never knowingly deceive them.  It has worked well and I feel better.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Carling

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »
Just two days in, and "the base" is already sliming Mia Love, the first black female elected to congress for the GOP, because she was smart enough to not make herself irrelevant along with the TEA 25 in her very first vote in the House.

I really am starting to wish you people would leave and start your own party.  Just be the party of uncompromising angry back-bench white guys, while the rest of us try to attract people from new demographics to the party.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:20:50 pm by Carling »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 10:33:59 pm »
Just two days in, and "the base" is already sliming Mia Love, the first black female elected to congress for the GOP, because she was smart enough to not make herself irrelevant along with the TEA 25 in her very first vote in the House.

I really am starting to wish you people would leave and start your own party.  Just be the party of uncompromising angry back-bench white guys, while the rest of us try to attract people from new demographics to the party.

Thank you for that refreshing remark.  I too always tell people that I will never knowingly misrepresent their position or what they have said.

It works so well and I feel so good...

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 10:42:03 pm »
Thank you for that refreshing remark.  I too always tell people that I will never knowingly misrepresent their position or what they have said.

It works so well and I feel so good...

I forgot to add bigoted against homosexuals, too.  I'll try harder next time!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 10:51:03 pm »
I forgot to add bigoted against homosexuals, too.  I'll try harder next time!

You are doing just fine!

But feel free to try harder if you think it will enhance your contribution to the forum...

Offline evadR

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 11:21:27 pm »

Ridiculous.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 11:34:47 pm »

Really, you are going to play the race card?  Talk about going as low as possible.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:20 am »

It should take not only courage, but also some brain power.   If you haven't got the ammunition to take out the "king", hold your fire.  If you go and shoot blanks then be prepared to be sent to the outskirts of decision making--diminishing your own voice. 

And how effective a strategy is that?

This is as true in politics as it is in life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 01:09:18 am »
It should take not only courage, but also some brain power.   If you haven't got the ammunition to take out the "king", hold your fire.  If you go and shoot blanks then be prepared to be sent to the outskirts of decision making--diminishing your own voice. 

And how effective a strategy is that?

This is as true in politics as it is in life.
Hmmm. I didn't know John Boehner was a king.

Huh. I guess it's good to be the king.

I could have sworn that we are a constitutional republic governed by democratic institutions. And that our political parties operated on the same essential principles: one person, one vote, open debate, free choice of leadership. Oh: and without fear of retribution because, after all, we're all on the same side, right?

Not right, apparently.

Those congressmen who are in this space vilely, disgustingly castigated as the "TEA 25": are in fact the only sons of bitches with balls left in the GOP.

They represent not a minority, but over 60 percent of the rank and file Republican Party - not the establishment pukes with rich relations, but actual voters marginalized by a political process that utterly favors the supporters of the massive, overbearing, insatiable State - because they gets the goodies, while those who don't want a damn thing get their pockets picked every April 15th. 

If John Boehner was one-tenth the leader some of you appear to think, he would have graciously accepted his Speaker's role, thanking those who voted for him and commending those who did not for their independence of mind, because, after all, we're all Republicans.

Instead, he threw a predictable hissy fit, like the privileged, sniveling little doll-collector we all know him to be. A real leader - a man with vision and testicular fortitude - would have quietly taken his opponents aside and said: "Look. I know we have different visions of how to proceed right now. But we have an incredible opportunity at this moment to seize the initiative and help set the stage for victory in 2016. Let's not blow it. So, if you'll promise to support the party leadership, I promise to absolutely consider your ideas and amendments, and I certainly will not speak ill of you or act to remove you from your chairs. Only a small man would act like that. After all, the enemy is across the aisle, not in this room. Are we good?"

But we're not dealing with a leader here. We're dealing with our very own stiff Boehner, which as any man will tell you, has no conscience.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn