Author Topic: BOEHNER COULD FACE BIGGEST SPEAKER REVOLT SINCE 1923  (Read 431 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BOEHNER COULD FACE BIGGEST SPEAKER REVOLT SINCE 1923
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:36:15 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/06/boehner-could-face-biggest-speaker-revolt-since-1923/

by BREITBART NEWS6 Jan 20153
From Aaron Blake writing at the Washington Post:

House Speaker John Boehner’s GOP opponents will try to take him down Tuesday. They are fighting against both the odds and history.

The Ohio Republican faces reelection to his third term as leader of the House this afternoon, and he’s expected to face at least token opposition from conservatives in his own party; the latest whip count shows as many as 15 members could oppose Boehner. But that’s well shy of the minimum 29 needed to even bring Boehner to a second vote and throw his reelection into doubt — an outcome that still seems quite unlikely.

And not only is it unlikely, it’s largely without precedent.

The last time that an election for speaker even went to a second ballot was 92 years ago — in 1923 — when Frederick H. Gillett (R-Mass.) required nine ballots to win reelection as speaker, according to the Congressional Research Service. That was the only speaker election in the past century for which multiple ballots were even needed. And Gillett wound up winning.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: BOEHNER COULD FACE BIGGEST SPEAKER REVOLT SINCE 1923
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »

I read that the House switchboard was jammed yesterday.  I got through and made my opinion known.

Anybody here who complains about Boehner but didn't contact their Rep needs to re-think their efforts...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan