Author Topic: Boehner opponents four votes away from blocking him in Speaker race?...25 of 29  (Read 2177 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/01/05/boehner-opponents-four-votes-away-from-blocking-him-in-speaker-race/

Boehner opponents four votes away from blocking him in Speaker race?
posted at 4:01 pm on January 5, 2015 by Allahpundit

I’m as skeptical as Ed is, but that’s the word through the grapevine via Erick Erickson. In fact, he’s skeptical too:

There are allegedly 25 of 29 ready to do it. Of course, last time they had the votes to block the Speaker and they all caved at the end. It would be more surprising if they hung together than if they caved. Caving is what conservatives in the House of Representatives often do.

What conservatives need to understand is that they do not have the power to get their guy elected Speaker. Conservatives now only have the veto power, which is powerful in and of itself.

The number of House Republicans who’ve committed publicly to voting against him is, er, 10, with four more undeclared but likely given that they’ve voted against him in the past. Gohmert told Laura Ingraham this morning that they’re still rounding up votes, but later told Glenn Beck that there’s “real intimidation” happening to would-be defectors. In fact, a few anti-Boehner stalwarts from last term have flipped to yes this time — Mick Mulvaney, Raul Labrador, and even Tim Huelskamp. The eternal problem here, as Ed noted earlier, is that none of the plausible successors to Boehner want the job. Jeb Hensarling isn’t interested. Trey Gowdy refuses to be drafted despite a push from talk-radio stars like Sean Hannity. Paul Ryan is more concerned with running the Ways and Means Committee and pondering 2016 than herding cats among the House GOP majority.

Erickson makes a good point, though, in noting that the lack of an heir apparent doesn’t mean there’s no power here. There is — a veto power. In which case, with Republican leaders in the Senate already looking to fold on executive amnesty, why don’t conservatives in the House hold out for a commitment on that from Boehner instead of insisting on a new Speaker? If they can’t replace the man, they can at least use what little leverage they have to secure a promise that the House will vote to defund Homeland Security next month unless Obama agrees to suspend his immigration order. That would be a nice consolation prize from another quixotic effort to oust Boehner and it’d be more difficult politically for him to retaliate against them. If he kicks the dissenters off of their House committees as punishment, then he’s punishing them for taking a stand for separation of powers and proper constitutional procedure, not for opposing him personally. Might as well get something out of this biennial kabuki. I’d be curious to see how Boehner reacts to that demand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iBw70-xd_w
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

The eternal problem here, as Ed noted earlier, is that none of the plausible successors to Boehner want the job. Jeb Hensarling isn’t interested. Trey Gowdy refuses to be drafted despite a push from talk-radio stars like Sean Hannity. Paul Ryan is more concerned with running the Ways and Means Committee and pondering 2016 than herding cats among the House GOP majority.

Spineless sellouts forgetting where their loyalty belongs...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
This should prove interesting as a lawmaker can vote for almost anyone -- the Constitution doesn't require the speaker to even be a member of the House!  I'm hoping that Boehner is ousted and they vote in someone other than the GOPe...making the GOPe play ball for once would be a breath of fresh air.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The problems in Washington are because of Reid, Pelosi, Obama and the rats.  The budget and deficit have gotten smaller since Boehner became speaker.  What a useless waste of time and energy.

Republicans should be celebrating our majority, but the hysterical right fringe spends all its time fighting the GOP.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:19:19 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Carling

The problems in Washington are because of Reid, Pelosi, Obama and the rats.  The budget and deficit have gotten smaller since Boehner became speaker.  What a useless waste of time and energy.

Republicans should be celebrating our majority, but the hysterical right fringe spends all its time fighting the GOP.

So true.  Yet they are the same fringe people who yap about the GOP being The Party of Stupid.  The Tea Party lost in primaries against incumbents.  The GOP voters rejected them, yet here they are still being the 6 year-old in the corner screaming because they didn't get what they wanted for dinner.  Grown-ups learn to ignore the 6 year-old, knowing they will grow out of it.  I'm not sure I think the same about Tea Party PACs, and those who enable the by thinking it isn't about money and fundraising.  Some Tea party PACs are pulling a Gruber on their own donors, while at the same time fundraising off of Gruber.  It's disgusting to me, because they are exploiting good and honorable people, but the problem is you can't save people from themselves.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Yes, Reid, Pelosi and Obama are the problems as well as the GOPe that stands with them!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline kevindavis007

Amen....
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline GourmetDan

Amen....

You'll wake up some day and that fringe will be a blanket...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline kevindavis007

So true.  Yet they are the same fringe people who yap about the GOP being The Party of Stupid.  The Tea Party lost in primaries against incumbents.  The GOP voters rejected them, yet here they are still being the 6 year-old in the corner screaming because they didn't get what they wanted for dinner.  Grown-ups learn to ignore the 6 year-old, knowing they will grow out of it.  I'm not sure I think the same about Tea Party PACs, and those who enable the by thinking it isn't about money and fundraising.  Some Tea party PACs are pulling a Gruber on their own donors, while at the same time fundraising off of Gruber.  It's disgusting to me, because they are exploiting good and honorable people, but the problem is you can't save people from themselves.

I think you hit it.. It is only about $$$$ for the groups like Freedom works.. I think they are mostly upset cause they wanted a shutdown so they can collect some money over off it.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Nancy Pelosi took control in 2006, after the GOP had complete control - including the presidency.  Things started spiraling out of control after that.  I believe that happened because of big-spending, big government - out of control- Republicans.  I think we will not see the kind of change the American people voted for loud and clear for in November.  Statist Republicans are as much of the problem as Statist Democrats - only slower and more measured.  You may call this "politics" - I call it "damaging".

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline kevindavis007

Nancy Pelosi took control in 2006, after the GOP had complete control - including the presidency.  Things started spiraling out of control after that.  I believe that happened because of big-spending, big government - out of control- Republicans.  I think we will not see the kind of change the American people voted for loud and clear for in November.  Statist Republicans are as much of the problem as Statist Democrats - only slower and more measured.  You may call this "politics" - I call it "damaging".

Sorry but the GOP - E boogeyman man is not the problem... I expect that type of talk at the TOS not here.

Offline alicewonders

Sorry but the GOP - E boogeyman man is not the problem... I expect that type of talk at the TOS not here.

Not THE boogeyman - but part of the problem nonetheless.  I cannot believe that there are those among us that do not think we need to drastically change the way Washington DC works - that think the status quo is going to change anything.

And PLEASE, that kind of talk - comparing those of us who want REAL change in DC - to TOS, kooks and idiots, is not going to change any of our minds! 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not THE boogeyman - but part of the problem nonetheless.  I cannot believe that there are those among us that do not think we need to drastically change the way Washington DC works - that think the status quo is going to change anything.

And PLEASE, that kind of talk - comparing those of us who want REAL change in DC - to TOS, kooks and idiots, is not going to change any of our minds!

:amen:  :amen: and :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Dubya and the GOP gave us taxcuts, a partial birth abortion ban, an end to Clinton's assault weapons ban, and a strong response to terrorism.  You call that "damaging."

Offline alicewonders

Dubya and the GOP gave us taxcuts, a partial birth abortion ban, an end to Clinton's assault weapons ban, and a strong response to terrorism.  You call that "damaging."

GWB has a mixed legacy.  His response to 911 was certainly strong.  But he was a big spender, and what I think was most damaging, was his refusal to defend himself against the lies of the left.  It hurt him, and I also think that he should have let Cheney step down in the second term to set up a Vice President that could have run for the presidency in order to keep that legacy going.  That was a fatal failure in my book, one that set the table for an Obama victory.

GWB has a mixed legacy.  His response to 911 was certainly strong.  But he was a big spender, and what I think was most damaging, was his refusal to defend himself against the lies of the left.  It hurt him, and I also think that he should have let Cheney step down in the second term to set up a Vice President that could have run for the presidency in order to keep that legacy going.  That was a fatal failure in my book, one that set the table for an Obama victory.

If you blame the President for spending, then I would guess you believe President Reagan was a big spender, too.
Dubya's biggest flaw was a bad economy IMO.  Thank you for your reply alicewonders.