Author Topic: Cops again turn their backs on de Blasio at NYPD officer’s funeral  (Read 741 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://nypost.com/2015/01/04/cops-again-turn-their-backs-on-de-blasio-at-nypd-officers-funeral/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Cops again turn their backs on de Blasio at NYPD officer’s funeral
By Shawn Cohen and Aaron ShortJanuary 4, 2015 | 11:51am

Hundreds of NYPD cops turned their backs on Mayor de Blasio on Sunday outside a Brooklyn funeral home as he eulogized a murdered NYPD officer inside.

As de Blasio addressed the loved ones of Detective Wenjian Liu in the Aievoli Funeral Home in Bensonhurst, the sea of blue watching the funeral on huge TV screens outside showed their disgust for Hizzoner by turning around as he spoke.

Cops have been furious with de Blasio mainly since the grand-jury rulings involving the deaths of Staten Island dad Eric Garner and Missouri teen Michael Brown, two unarmed black men who died during confrontations with white cops. Neither cop was criminally charged in cases.

The mayor said afterward that he worries about how his son, Dante, who is half-black, might be treated by police because of his race.

Liu and Officer Rafael Ramos were sitting in their patrol car in Bedford-Stuyvesant on Dec. 20 when deranged, cop-hating killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley came up from behind to execute them. Brinsley committed suicide before cops could catch him.

Officers turned their backs to de Blasio when he visited the hospital where Ramos and Liu were treated. They also turned turned their backs to de Blasio outside the church where Ramos’ funeral was held on Dec. 27.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton has asked officers not to repeat that silent protest at Liu’s funeral Sunday.

Cops from across the country joined the solemn ceremony honoring Liu.

“All of our city is heart-broken today,” de Blasio said. “All of this city is feeling the pain, and all of the city wants to lift up the Liu family and the Ramos family.”

Liu’s loved ones, many who traveled here from China, arrived at services in a procession of eight black vans and two limos.

“Detective Wenjian Liu was a good man. He walked a path of courage, a path of sacrifice, a path of kindness,” de Blasio said. “This is who he was.”

US Rep. Peter King (R-Long Island) said as he arrived for Liu’s funeral on Sunday, said,“I’ve been critical of the mayor, (but) today is not the day for that (protest). I understand why the police did what they did.

“I think the police have made their point. I would not be critical of them for doing it (again on Sunday). That should be behind us now. I wouldn’t do it myself. I’m not going to criticize them for doing it. I hope they don’t do it.”

Liu is believed to be the first Chinese- American New York cop killed in the line of duty, so Sunday’s services are expected to blend time-honored NYPD trappings with Buddhist and Chinese funeral traditions.

After the ceremony at Aievoli Funeral Home, Liu will be buried at Cypress Hills Cemetery.

The 32-year-old had been on the job for seven years. Liu emigrated from China 20 years ago and dreamed of being a police officer.

Liu had only been married for two months when he was killed.

The cops say de Blasio’s comment is just another instance in which he’s added to the anti-cop sentiment in the city.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: Cops again turn their backs on de Blasio at NYPD officer’s funeral
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:22:41 pm »
 :beer:

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:55:46 pm »

Second NYPD officer honored at funeral; officers again turn backs on de Blasio

By Peter Holley January 4 at 4:20 PM    

View Photos

Liu and his partner, Rafael Ramos, were shot to death Dec. 20 as they sat in their squad car in Brooklyn.

Police, public officials and mourners from across the country gathered Sunday to honor a detective killed last month in an act of violence that has roiled New York City, with a large number of officers again making their frustrations with the city’s mayor apparent by turning their backs on him as he paid tribute to the slain officer.

Defying a request from Police Commissioner William Bratton, the strident display of protest began as Mayor Bill de Blasio took the podium at the Aievoli Funeral Home in Brooklyn to eulogize Detective Wenjian Liu, reinforcing entrenched feelings of hostility that have gripped the department in the weeks since Liu and Detective Rafael Ramos were fatally shot without warning on a Brooklyn street.

In highly controversial remarks, union leaders have criticized the mayor for expressing support for demonstrations against police brutality and accused him of fostering an environment that encourages attacks on police officers.

Government officials from New York arrived for the funeral of NYPD officer Wenjian Liu. Liu was killed along with his partner officer Rafael Ramos last month. (AP)

In a memo read at roll calls Friday and Saturday, Bratton urged officers to avoid making political statements during Liu’s funeral.

“A hero’s funeral is about grieving, not grievance,” the memo said. “I issue no mandates, and I make no threats of discipline, but I remind you that when you don the uniform of this department, you are bound by the tradition, honor and decency that go with it.”

A day after Liu and Ramos were killed, New York police union leader Patrick Lynch said de Blasio “had blood on his hands.” Patrick Yoes, a national secretary with the 328,000-member Fraternal Order of Police, told the Associated Press he supported Lynch’s stance toward the mayor.

“Across this country, we seem to be under attack in the law enforcement profession, and the message to take away from this is: We are public servants. We are not public enemies,” Yoes said.

On Saturday, de Blasio and  Bratton were saluted by officers as they arrived at Liu’s wake. The show of respect was a markedly different reception than the one the mayor received a week earlier, when some officers turned their backs on him in protest while he spoke at Ramos’s funeral. Today, de Blasio was received a respectful reception among police officials inside the funeral home, but the reaction outside was mixed, according to the Associated Press.

The mayor called Liu a “brave and skilled detective” but pointed out that so many of his friends and colleagues will remember him for his kindness. De Blasio recounted in detail a story about Liu responding to a call for an aging Vietnam veteran who had fallen and needed help getting up. Instead of leaving the man, de Blasio said, Liu spent hours talking to the veteran before helping the man to bed and wrapping him in blankets.

“Detective Liu was the sort of officer who when he saw someone on the street lost, he’d go over to them to ask them if they were hungry,” the mayor said. “He’d literally go over to them and buy them dinner at McDonald’s and give them a ride home.”

Bratton spoke next, discussing Liu’s decision to join the police force after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and his enduring devotion to family. The police commissioner said Liu and Ramos were “murdered for their color, slain because they were blue.”

“For seven years, he sought out the suffering, the disturbed, the injured and tried to bring them comfort,” he said.

“At the end of every tour,” Bratton later added, “he would call his father to let him know he was safe. At the end of every tour except one.”

The morning began with thousands of officers in varying shades of blue walking down 65th Street toward the funeral home. Along the way, they passed groups of solemn-looking supporters holding signs and snapping photos from the sidewalk. A black stripe could be seen over many badge numbers, a striking sign of the law enforcement community’s collective grief.

Many officers, including Ryan Andersen, 39, of Berkeley, Calif., arrived from departments across the country to pledge their support for Liu and the NYPD.

“This isn’t the type of killing that we can accept,” Andersen said. “We understand it’s part of the job. But to have an officer killed sitting there in their car and talking to his partner, that’s difficult to accept.”

“We felt it was important for us to be here for the officers of the NYPD and the city to show our support,” he added.

MORE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/01/04/mourners-gather-for-funeral-of-second-nypd-officer-killed-in-ambush/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:57:08 pm by rangerrebew »

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:09:45 am »
de Blasio made a total mess of things much, much faster than I thought he would.