Author Topic: Thune leaves wiggle room on gas tax increase  (Read 442 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Thune leaves wiggle room on gas tax increase
« on: January 04, 2015, 03:29:22 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/228432-thune-leaves-wiggle-room-on-gas-tax-increase

Thune leaves wiggle room on gas tax increase

By Kevin Cirilli - 01/04/15 10:23 AM EST

Sen. Jim Thune (R-S.D.) signaled Sunday that Republicans might be open to negotiating increasing the gas tax in order to pay for the highway infrastructure spending bill that expires in May.

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," Thune said that while he is opposed to increasing the gas tax, lawmakers will need to "keep all options" available when they return to Washington this week.
"I don't favor increasing any tax," Thune said. "But I think we have to look at all options."

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) had proposed cutting other taxes while raising the gas tax user fee $0.12.

"I don't think we take anything off the table at this point," said Thune, who will chair the Senate Commerce, Transportation and Energy Committee. "Those discussions continue... It is important that we fund infrastructure."

Corker said his proposal is "revenue neutral."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Thune leaves wiggle room on gas tax increase
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:10:16 am »
[[ Sen. Jim Thune (R-S.D.) signaled Sunday that Republicans might be open to negotiating increasing the gas tax in order to pay for the highway infrastructure spending bill that expires in May. ]]

Boy oh boy, is this gonna help the Pubbies in 2016....

Folks, remember back to 1988?
Remember when George H.W. Bush (during the campaign) said "read my lips!" ??
And remember the tax increase he agreed to a while afterwards?
And remember what happened to Mr. Bush (who had enjoyed an 89% popularity rating after Desert Storm) when 1992 rolled around?

So here comes "the new Republican majority" in Congress.
The ones who were gonna "stop Obama" and fight for Americans?
So, what are they talking about doing even before they're sworn into the new Congress?

Read my lips!