Author Topic: Obama's New Year's Resolution: Less Executive Orders, More Cooperation With GOP  (Read 3818 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=616080

Newsmax
Obama's New Year's Resolution: Less Executive Orders, More Cooperation With GOP
Friday, January 2, 2015 01:22 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

President Barack Obama has a resolution for the New Year and the Republican-controlled Congress convening next week in Washington: Cooperate more and use executive actions less.

Obama has already used some quite extensive executive actions, including a decree on immigration reform, reports The Wall Street Journal, but he still has some top agenda items left to achieve during his last two years in office.

Some senior administration officials say that those priorities might stand a better chance of happening without Democrats in charge of the Senate.

But the six years since Obama first took office have been contentious ones, and while Republican leaders say they want to work with the president, aides told The Journal that the leaders don't believe he'll compromise with them.

Even if the two sides can work out agreements, GOP lawmakers are skeptical that Obama will deliver enough votes from his party to get the bills passed.

"If he’s going to run around the country talking about things that have no chance of passing rather than running around the country focusing on the areas where we agree, he’s not going to be very productive," Don Stewart, deputy chief of staff to incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said. "We just had an election on his policies."

Obama and McConnell discussed several areas of compromise during a meeting after the November midterm elections, and the president plans to leave room for negotiations by only drawing lines when it comes to major issues, including rollbacks to Obamacare or immigration, The Journal reports.

But Republicans plan to bring up several key issues right away, including the long-awaited approval for the Keystone XL pipeline, which Obama is expected to reject. In recent weeks, he has argued that the structure will pose environmental and economic risks.

"It's very good for Canadian oil companies, and it's good for the Canadian oil industry, but it's not going to be a huge benefit to U.S. consumers," Obama said last month.

Rejecting the pipeline will likely create a huge political fight, though, at a time when the president is looking for some cooperation from Congress.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said there are bound to be areas in which the White House and Congress won't be cooperating. Still, "those disagreements should not interfere with the many areas of bipartisan interest where we can work together to get things done for the American people," he said.

There are several areas where Obama and the GOP might come to a compromise, White House officials said, including a long-sought corporate tax code overhaul, infrastructure funding, and trade pacts.

But even with plans to cooperate, Obama is facing a Congress that will likely continue to push back against him on several items, such as his executive action on immigration.

Further, the president is trying to win confirmation for his nominees for defense secretary and attorney general at the same time Senate Republicans plan investigations into the Internal Revenue Service, the Dodd-Frank Law, and other agencies and policies.

The White House will need bipartisan proposals and support to succeed with tax legislation, as well as a coalition of Republicans to help pass trade legislation that some more liberal lawmakers are against.

Obama also expects to use his veto pen more this year than he has previously in his presidency when negotiations fail.

"I haven't used the veto pen very often since I've been in office," Obama said in an NPR interview last week. "Now, I suspect, there are going to be some times where I've got to pull that pen out."

He's also expected to push a more economic-driven agenda this year, sources said, and to emphasize the successes that have come so far.

But most Americans are skeptical that the president and Congress will cooperate this year at all. According to an Associated Press-GIK poll last month, only 13 percent of believe the leaders of the two parties will work together, and 86 percent doubt it's possible.

And the doubts cross party lines, with fewer than 1 in 5 Democrats and independents, and just 1 in 10 Republicans, convinced that Obama and Congress can break the gridlock in the nation's capital.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
My guess is Boehner and McConnell are reading this and nodding their heads.  They're the Republicans that are stupid enough to fall for this. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
My guess is Boehner and McConnell are reading this and nodding their heads.  They're the Republicans that are stupid enough to fall for this.

My guess is that you are right Cyber!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

Yeah......do as i say or I will do it anyway.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yeah......do as i say or I will do it anyway.

My way IS the highway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I make it a point to try and read posts on political forums from all sides of the political spectrum, and I can say without doubt that the only people who think that Republicans are utterly stupid and useless more than raving lefties, are right wingers.

I understand them saying so, they're abject morons. What baffles me is why right wingers march in step with raging morons.

Boehner has spent the better part of his years as Speaker managing the majority in a two-party Chamber of a bicameral Congress where anything and everything he and his colleagues tried to do was blocked by Harry Reid and his Senate.  He's had to deal with perhaps the most hostile President and Senate Leader in recent history, and now, people who've never had to do anything remotely resembling any of that, are out busy saying he sucks.

Politics is the art of doing nothing while pointing fingers at those who are responsible for actually doing stuff, and saying they suck. 

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I make it a point to try and read posts on political forums from all sides of the political spectrum, and I can say without doubt that the only people who think that Republicans are utterly stupid and useless more than raving lefties, are right wingers.

I understand them saying so, they're abject morons. What baffles me is why right wingers march in step with raging morons.

Boehner has spent the better part of his years as Speaker managing the majority in a two-party Chamber of a bicameral Congress where anything and everything he and his colleagues tried to do was blocked by Harry Reid and his Senate.  He's had to deal with perhaps the most hostile President and Senate Leader in recent history, and now, people who've never had to do anything remotely resembling any of that, are out busy saying he sucks.

Politics is the art of doing nothing while pointing fingers at those who are responsible for actually doing stuff, and saying they suck.

The right-wing morons are votes the GOP can't win without (Same for the left and Dems).  If you can figure out a way to keep the votes while ignoring their goals, I'm all ears.
I will NOT comply.

rangerrebew

Obama also says he is going to investigate "purple people eaters."

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The right-wing morons are votes the GOP can't win without (Same for the left and Dems).  If you can figure out a way to keep the votes while ignoring their goals, I'm all ears.

What can the right wingers win without the GOP?

The GOP can move center and regain voters leaving the right wingers with no seat at the table at all 

How does that make sense to the right wingers?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Good grief. Everything Obama has said he will do up to now, since 2008, he has done just exactly the opposite. Anything this guy says has to be discarded with the evening trash. He is a consumate liar of the highest order.

He is a new Marvel superhero called "Opposite Man!". Everything he says he will do, he always does the opposite of whatever he says he believes, or whatever he will do.

To believe anything that comes out of his mouth would require the naivete' of a child. The rest of the world already know this.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sinkspur

The GOP can move center and regain voters leaving the right wingers with no seat at the table at all 

Bitching and complaining is what the right wing does. They never win anything (lost EVERY SINGLE SENATE primary but Nebraska), but it's not their fault.  No, that blame goes to "the GOPe", that nefarious majority in the Republican party that just can't agree with their absolutism.

They're going to fail at unseating Boehner, and McConnell excels at making deals. So look for the next two years to be nothing but bitching and complaining in overdrive.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Bitching and complaining is what the right wing does. They never win anything (lost EVERY SINGLE SENATE primary but Nebraska), but it's not their fault.  No, that blame goes to "the GOPe", that nefarious majority in the Republican party that just can't agree with their absolutism.

They're going to fail at unseating Boehner, and McConnell excels at making deals. So look for the next two years to be nothing but bitching and complaining in overdrive.

Immediately after the election, and having seen that his Party had lost control of Congress, Obama went on an offensive designed to establish the Congressional agenda for the months immediately leading up to the official start of the 2016 Presidential campaign run.

He's dictating the agenda with moves designed to erect windmills that many will knee jerk into dragons, and demand to be addressed first: the Executive memo on immigration, Cuba with probably a go-at-it-alone move on Guantanamo (maybe closing it down completely and giving it back to Cuba as a good will gesture?), climate change/global warming, re-establishing an American embassy in Iran.

Each of these things is designed to corner the inbound GOP majority into taking actions on things that are not in their agenda by creating a myriad of s#it storms across the right wing spectrum, and as a result, he will still exert control over Congress in spite of the fact that Democrats lost their majority standing.

I wish the entirety of the membership of the Party would spend more time thinking and less time emoting and being prodded by talk radio. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
To wit:

Newsmax
Obama to Bypass Congress on Housing, College Costs, Jobs
Saturday, January 3, 2015 06:05 PM

By: REUTERS

President Barack Obama this week will unveil policy initiatives on housing, college affordability and job creation during a three-day road trip to highlight his 2015 agenda, the White House said on Saturday.

Obama, who is returning to Washington on Sunday from a two-week family vacation in Hawaii, will begin a tour on Wednesday of Michigan, Arizona and Tennessee.

He will highlight themes he will talk about in his annual State of the Union address to Congress, which is set for Jan. 20.

The initiatives on housing, college costs and jobs will include a mix of legislative proposals and actions that the president will take that do not need congressional approval, said White House spokesman Eric Schultz.

In addition to unveiling new initiatives, Obama will seek to put a spotlight on the improvement in the U.S. economy.

Obama's tour will come as the new Congress convenes in Washington with Republicans newly in control of both the House of Representatives and the Senate. Republicans, who already held a majority in the House, are set to take charge of the Senate after their victories in the November midterm elections.

They will begin the year with plans to fight Obama's agenda on issues from the environment to his signature healthcare law, his move to change immigration policy and his decision last month to normalize U.S. ties with Cuba.

Obama will seek to portray himself as more in touch with the concerns of ordinary Americans than Republicans, an administration official said.

rangerrebew

To wit:

He's been promising those "initiatives" for the last six years.  Truck retreads have nothing on Obama initiatives. :yawn2:

rangerrebew

What do I find Mysty posted elsewhere?

So THIS is how he plans to "work with" the GOP? :silly:

http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=616237

Newsmax
Obama to Bypass Congress on Housing, College Costs, Jobs
Saturday, January 3, 2015 06:05 PM

By: REUTERS

President Barack Obama this week will unveil policy initiatives on housing, college affordability and job creation during a three-day road trip to highlight his 2015 agenda, the White House said on Saturday.

Obama, who is returning to Washington on Sunday from a two-week family vacation in Hawaii, will begin a tour on Wednesday of Michigan, Arizona and Tennessee.

He will highlight themes he will talk about in his annual State of the Union address to Congress, which is set for Jan. 20.

The initiatives on housing, college costs and jobs will include a mix of legislative proposals and actions that the president will take that do not need congressional approval, said White House spokesman Eric Schultz.

In addition to unveiling new initiatives, Obama will seek to put a spotlight on the improvement in the U.S. economy.

Obama's tour will come as the new Congress convenes in Washington with Republicans newly in control of both the House of Representatives and the Senate. Republicans, who already held a majority in the House, are set to take charge of the Senate after their victories in the November midterm elections.

They will begin the year with plans to fight Obama's agenda on issues from the environment to his signature healthcare law, his move to change immigration policy and his decision last month to normalize U.S. ties with Cuba.

Obama will seek to portray himself as more in touch with the concerns of ordinary Americans than Republicans, an administration official said.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
He's been promising those "initiatives" for the last six years.  Truck retreads have nothing on Obama initiatives. :yawn2:

He's going to deliver on them now just to keep the GOP-controlled Congress busy fighting his agenda. He'll label them obstructionists in the process.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Good grief. Everything Obama has said he will do up to now, since 2008, he has done just exactly the opposite. Anything this guy says has to be discarded with the evening trash. He is a consumate liar of the highest order.

He is a new Marvel superhero called "Opposite Man!". Everything he says he will do, he always does the opposite of whatever he says he believes, or whatever he will do.

To believe anything that comes out of his mouth would require the naivete' of a child. The rest of the world already know this.

Agreed.  And he has just the fellows available to believe it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

"Of course the 'wingers' will vote for the GOP candidate, no matter what.  Where else will they go?"
I will NOT comply.

rangerrebew

He's going to deliver on them now just to keep the GOP-controlled Congress busy fighting his agenda. He'll label them obstructionists in the process.

He has also said he will veto any republican legislation so they need to take his initiatives and cram them where the sun doesn't shine.