Author Topic: Obituaries for 2015  (Read 71977 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Obituaries for 2015
« Reply #250 on: December 10, 2015, 09:37:08 pm »
Dolph Schayes, a Bridge to the Modern N.B.A., Is Dead at 87

Dolph Schayes, who polished his game on the Bronx playgrounds, played 15 seasons as a professional and was once voted one of the 50 best players to play in the National Basketball Association, died on Thursday in Syracuse. He was 87.

His son Danny Schayes, who played 18 seasons in the N.B.A. as a 6-foot-11 center, said the cause was cancer.

At 6 feet 8 inches and 220 pounds, Schayes played the position now known as power forward, becoming a stalwart for the Syracuse Nationals from 1949 to 1963 after earning all-American status at New York University. When the Nationals became the Philadelphia 76ers in 1963-64, he was the player-coach.
More

Wikipedia

NBA Stats

Former Syracuse Nationals star Dolph Schayes dies at age 87

Dolph Schayes, NBA big man with a guard's flair, dies at 87

Offline Paladin

« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2015, 06:35:14 am »
One of the good guys and he died far too young.

"Avi Davis -- a friend of mine, but far more importantly an unstinting friend of liberty -- passed away Monday morning at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.  In these times, whenever such a person dies, it is extremely unfortunate; when he is taken from us at the young age of 57, it is a tragedy we must all mourn.

Born in Melbourne, Australia, Avi Davis did many extraordinary things, but he is best known to us here in the U.S. as the founder and president of the American Freedom Alliance. There is no clearer description of the principles and goals to which Avi Davis dedicated his life than that organization's mission statement:

The American Freedom Alliance is a non-aligned movement which promotes, defends and upholds Western values and ideals. The Alliance sponsors conferences, publishes opinions, distributes information and creates networking groups to identify threats to Western civilization and to motivate, educate and unite citizens in support of that cause.

https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2015/12/23/adieu-avi-davis
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #252 on: December 23, 2015, 04:57:05 pm »
George Clayton Johnson has Died

The illuminating, exoterical, astronomical George Clayton Johnson has died. The genius science-fiction writer behind so much of what we've all watched and enjoyed has passed on to his next adventure.

George Clayton Johnson wrote the very first episode of Star Trek, The Man Trap; he wrote eight original Twilight Zone episodes for series creator Rod Serling including "Nothing in the Dark", "Kick the Can", "A Game of Pool", and "A Penny for Your Thoughts" ...

George is perhaps most well-known for the 1967 science fiction classic, Logan's Run, which he co-wrote, it was a box-office hit and an Oscar winning film for MGM in 1976 ...
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

The Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:35:29 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #254 on: December 26, 2015, 06:58:35 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
Jim O'Toole, Reds 1960s Star Pitcher, Dies at 78

Jim O'Toole, a star pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds in the 1960s, has died after a long battle with cancer. O'Toole was 78...

He was the National League's starting pitcher in the 1963 All-Star Game. O'Toole called that one of his proudest career moments, recalling that manager Alvin Dark chose him to start with a roster that included future Hall of Fame pitchers Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn...
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2015, 07:15:39 pm »
Haskell Wexler, 'Cuckoo's Nest' Cinematographer, Dies at 93

Cinematographer Haskell Wexler, the socially conscious two-time Academy Award winner who lensed Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and many other masterpieces, has died. He was 93.

Wexler died in his sleep Sunday at Providence Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, his son, Oscar-nominated sound man Jeff Wexler, told The Hollywood Reporter.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2015, 11:42:37 pm »
[float=right][/float]Baseballer Dave "Hendu" Henderson dies at 57

Henderson was a major star in Major League Baseball between 1986 and 1991; he was a key member of the Boston Red Sox' unsuccessful World Series appearance in 1986 and appeared in all three of the Oakland Athletics' World Series appearances from 1988 to 1990, including the 1989 win. An MLB All-Star in 1991, Henderson blew out his knee in 1992 and never regained his all-star form, retiring in 1994; in 1997, he became a broadcaster with the Seattle Mariners, a role he held until 2006 (and returned to briefly in 2011). Henderson died from a heart attack following a kidney transplant.

Obituary from The Sporting News

Wikipedia

Stats
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »
[float=right]
Lemon with
Betty Ford.
[/float]Meadowlark Lemon, Harlem Globetrotters legend, dies at 83

Lemon played for the Harlem Globetrotters from 1955 to 1978, becoming the face of the franchise. After dabbling in other barnstorming teams through the 1980s and 1990s, Lemon came out of retirement in 1994 for a farewell tour with the Globetrotters. All in all, Lemon played in over 10,000 basketball games in his lifetime and, at the peak of his popularity in the 1970s, was a character on Saturday morning television.

Lemon died of unknown causes.

Obituary from The New York Times

Wikipedia

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »
We should survey how many of us saw Meadowlark in person. What an entertaining guy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:39 pm »
We should survey how many of us saw Meadowlark in person. What an entertaining guy.

Meadowlark was from a time before so many black folk went around angry all the time. Before they started taking on names like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Muhammed Ali. Anyone see an Islam connection here?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:13:51 pm by aligncare »

Offline flowers

« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2015, 05:21:31 pm »
I never did. I remember the cartoon and seeing them on TV.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:22:07 pm by flowers »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »

I did. Once in either 1962 or 1963. And many times on TV.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:56 pm »
I saw the Globetrotters in person probably in the late 1960s in Pittsburgh. Meadowlark and Curly Neal were my favorites.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22:27 pm »

I saw him as a kid, but I can't remember if it was in Youngstown, or if we drove to Cleveland or Pittsburgh to see the Globetrotters.

All I know is that Meadowlark was the star, and I was hooked on the Globetrotters for years after that.

(I still love to whistle "Sweet Georgia Brown"  ^-^ )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2015, 01:01:43 am »
[float=right][/float]Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, singer/bassist for Motörhead, dies at 70

Lemmy, raised in Wales, began his career with the space-rock band Hawkwind in the early 1970s before forming Motörhead in 1975. His distinctive and guttural vocal style was a major influence on punk rock and would come back into vogue in the 1990s. His Rickenbacker bass and playing style was influential on hard-driving heavy metal.

He lived the life of a stereotypical rock star, holding affinities for gambling, casual sex (he claims over 1,000 conquests over his lifetime), drugs and alcohol; his death comes just over a month after his fellow bandmate, Philthy Animal Taylor, died on November 12. He is believed to have died from cancer.

Death notice from ultimateclassicrock.com

Wikipedia

Lemmy's signature hit, "Ace of Spades:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:07:40 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2015, 01:52:43 am »
Ruby Cavanaugh, namesake of Ruby's Diner, dies at 93

Ruby Cavanaugh, the namesake of the Ruby's Diner franchise, has died at age 93.

Cavanaugh, the inspiration behind Ruby's Diner, died Sunday with her family at her side.
More

Ruby's Diner

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2015, 10:53:22 am »
[float=right][/float]Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, singer/bassist for Motörhead, dies at 70

Lemmy, raised in Wales, began his career with the space-rock band Hawkwind in the early 1970s before forming Motörhead in 1975. His distinctive and guttural vocal style was a major influence on punk rock and would come back into vogue in the 1990s. His Rickenbacker bass and playing style was influential on hard-driving heavy metal.

He lived the life of a stereotypical rock star, holding affinities for gambling, casual sex (he claims over 1,000 conquests over his lifetime), drugs and alcohol; his death comes just over a month after his fellow bandmate, Philthy Animal Taylor, died on November 12. He is believed to have died from cancer.

Death notice from ultimateclassicrock.com

Wikipedia

Lemmy's signature hit, "Ace of Spades:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

That Lemmy lived to the age of 70 has to be something of a minor miracle.
The Republic is lost.

Offline flowers

« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2015, 07:47:15 pm »
That Lemmy lived to the age of 70 has to be something of a minor miracle.
Yes it is.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2015, 06:21:43 pm »
Frank Malzone, Star Fielder for Boston Red Sox, Dies at 85

Frank Malzone, a six-time All-Star third baseman whose steady presence in the Boston lineup tied together two of the city's baseball eras, linking Ted Williams's Red Sox with Carl Yastrzemski's, died on Tuesday at his home in Needham, Mass. He was 85.

The Red Sox announced his death.

Malzone played with the Red Sox from 1955 to 1965, not a period of distinction for the franchise — the team never finished higher than third — even though it was led by two future Hall of Fame outfielders: Williams, who retired in 1960, not having played in a World Series since 1946, and Yastrzemski, who arrived in 1961 and finally led the team to a pennant in 1967. As one Boston hero passed the torch to the other, Malzone was a stalwart supporting player for both.
More

Wikipedia

Career statistics

Offline mrclose

« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2016, 02:47:01 am »

Actor Wayne Rogers died on Thursday from complications from pneumonia, his rep exclusively tells ET. He was 82 years old.

Rogers, who hailed from Alabama, is best known for playing the role of Captain "Trapper" John McIntyre in the classic television series M*A*S*H from 1972-1975. He also had recurring roles in City of Angels, House Calls, and Murder, She Wrote.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/mash-star-wayne-rogers-dies-at-82/ar-BBo5ZgI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2016, 02:49:49 am »
He was quite good on Cashin' In.  I never would have guessed he was 82.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2016, 03:02:02 am »
He was quite good on Cashin' In.  I never would have guessed he was 82.

Me neither!  I liked him on the financial shows too.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2016, 03:02:23 am »
From Alabama, served in our military, Princeton, made money with investments, died in Lost Angeles.

Long term marriage.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:43 am »
"'MASH' Star Wayne Rogers Dies at 82"

"Actor Wayne Rogers died on Thursday from complications from pneumonia, his rep exclusively tells ET. He was 82 years old.

Rogers, who hailed from Alabama, is best known for playing the role of Captain "Trapper" John McIntyre in the classic television series M*A*S*H from 1972-1975. He also had recurring roles in City of Angels, House Calls, and Murder, She Wrote."

Rogers may be best known for his acting gigs, but he was also a very savvy financial investor and ran his own investment firm.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.