Author Topic: I had a great year  (Read 519 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I had a great year
« on: January 01, 2015, 05:23:39 pm »
http://donsurber.blogspot.com/2015/01/i-had-great-year.html?spref=fb

Thursday, January 01, 2015

I had a great year

2014 was a great year for me. My closest sister died, and after 30 years, the Charleston Daily Mail fired me. Both events made my life better.

My sister's death came after much pain for her. She spent 11 months in a hospice, then she fought cancer for four more months at home and in a nursing home. She was one tough cookie.

My nieces, her daughters, asked me to deliver the eulogy. And I knew the theme: family. I talked to them to get the facts right. I went light on my personal recollections; it was not about me. And I wrote a very beautiful eulogy. It may be the best piece I ever wrote; you will never read it. I wrote it for two people: my nieces.

Delivering what I wrote was another matter. Emotionally draining. Once again, it is easier to write than to speak. But when I woke up the next morning, I felt great. My mother, who has known me longer than anyone, told me I needed such a cathartic moment. I got to say goodbye.

My sister was a special lady who touched many, many lives. The room was large. It was standing room only. She was a school cook. Just a cafeteria lady. In my career I met senators, governors, and war heroes. My sister would hold her own with any of them. Had Michelle Obama listened to my sister, the nation would have avoided the food fight now being waged in our school cafeterias.

As for getting fired, it was a relief. The liberal Charleston Gazette bought the paper 10 years ago, halved the staff, canceled subscriptions, and told us the paper would fold on March 31, 2005. Unfortunately, the Department of Justice intervened citing the antiquated -- and unconstitutional -- Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890. So nearly 10 years later, I was still there, unwanted by Betty Chilton and the rest of the real owners of the newspaper. Continual IT problems were the reason I abruptly quit blogging for the paper in 2012. I had it. I should have left then.

On October 25, I wrote something rude and crude on this blog, that Michael Brown was an animal who needed to be put down. That was wrong. It was a tragic but justified homicide. There was an online campaign by Daily Kos and other liberals sites to fire me.

So be it.

I didn't fight the firing. I didn't beg for the job. I didn't argue. In fact, I knew I would get canned eventually over something minor. The Gazette didn't want me. When the axe landed, I thanked my Daily Mail editors and told them they were good bosses. They were. The editorial page editor took it hardest. We had only been together for a little over a year, but we made a good team. I wish him and the rest of the newspaper staff well.

After the firing, I drove home with the top down. First thing I did when I got home was cancel my subscriptions. Not in spite. I just had to move on.

Oh, being fired bummed me out for a few days. I ain't a superman. But I quickly got over it. I guess the best comparison is to a divorce 10 years after the marriage died.

The toughest thing I ever had to do was tell my wife they fired me. She shrugged it off and said, well, you got to do what you wanted to do for 30 years. Find another job or retire. It will be all right. Financially, I am OK, but I am looking for work as it would be nice to retire at 66 instead of 61.

Our eldest children took it harder than I thought they should. But young people think death or being fired are terrible.

So I had to be Dad for my thirtysomethings. I had to once again set a good example. I comforted them about the loss of their aunt as I hope I comforted her daughters. As for being fired, we straightened that out. I did not understand why the firing bothered them; I had overlooked the simple fact that all their lives that is what they knew me as, a newspaperman. But I am not that.

What I learned this year is I am not an editorial writer or a columnist. I am a husband, a father, an uncle, a son, and a brother. And I found, I am not as bad at it as I thought I was.

Posted by Don Surber at 1/01/2015 12:00:00 PM
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/donsurber
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: I had a great year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:54:31 pm »
Fired for telling the truth about Michael Brown.  Rude and crude?  No, the unvarnished truth. Michael Brown is rightfully dead...it is just that he is dead: he died attempting to kill a police officer trying to do his duty. Michael Brown died trying to take the officer's sidearm from him. Anyone doing that should understand that they are facing death.  And so should their family, fellow-thugs, race pimps, pandering politicians and the multitude of media whores.

The family and all those others...in their willing denial of basic and plain truth, in their pursuit of a series of giant lies told for no reason other their own personal gain - a vacation in Zurich and Geneva at the ritziest resorts right after the first riots, really? - they are the ones guilty of being rude and crude.  The truth can be harsh, and it often seems that no one on this sorry planet is willing to see it.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
Fired for telling the truth about Michael Brown.  Rude and crude?  No, the unvarnished truth. Michael Brown is rightfully dead...it is just that he is dead: he died attempting to kill a police officer trying to do his duty. Michael Brown died trying to take the officer's sidearm from him. Anyone doing that should understand that they are facing death.  And so should their family, fellow-thugs, race pimps, pandering politicians and the multitude of media whores.

The family and all those others...in their willing denial of basic and plain truth, in their pursuit of a series of giant lies told for no reason other their own personal gain - a vacation in Zurich and Geneva at the ritziest resorts right after the first riots, really? - they are the ones guilty of being rude and crude.  The truth can be harsh, and it often seems that no one on this sorry planet is willing to see it.

The truth about the truth today is that you are not supposed to speak it, if it offends anyone.

Anyone that is, who qualifies as a member of a politically-protected class.

Giving offense is now commonly held to be offensive, truth notwithstanding - as long as one is on the "correct" side, politically speaking.

We used to debate whether it was defensible to freely tell a knowing lie, and whether one's speech might be lawfully restrained as a consequence.

Today, it is clearly defensible to lie in the service of ideology - provided the lie serves the cause of "Progress", so-called.

It is held abhorrent today to express one's approval for ideas, attitudes and beliefs that are held in contempt by the popular culture.

It is equally acceptable to slander and revile those who speak in opposition to that culture's ideas, attitudes and beliefs - regardless of the merit of the arguments adduced in support of such opposition.

Presumed intent and protected class membership today carry more weight than either demonstrable truth or honestly-held opinion.

When political correctness, and not truth is the standard by which speech is judged, and when government can put its massive thumb on the scales of justice in favor of electorally important groups, then speech is no longer truly free.

Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:32:29 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 02:41:33 am »
andy sez it true:
[[ When political correctness, and not truth is the standard by which speech is judged, and when government can put its massive thumb on the scales of justice in favor of electorally important groups, then speech is no longer truly free. ]]

Two familiar quotes from Orwell:
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."

...and one wish for the future:
"EX UMBRIA IN VERITATUM",  from darkness to truth.

Motto: Saint Thomas Aquinas