Author Topic: Gowdy: No interest in being Speaker  (Read 526 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gowdy: No interest in being Speaker
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:48:14 am »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/227650-gowdy-no-interest-in-being-speaker

By Scott Wong - 12/18/14 08:03 PM EST
A Tea Party group wants Rep. Trey Gowdy to challenge John Boehner for the Speaker’s gavel. A fellow Republican says Gowdy would certainly have his support.

But the conservative South Carolina Republican says he has no interest in becoming Speaker when lawmakers cast their vote on the House floor next month.

“Rep. Gowdy has said his time and attention will continue to be devoted to the work assigned to him,” said Gowdy’s spokeswoman, Amanda Duvall. “He is not interested in any leadership positions and believes one can have influence without the title.”
This past spring, Boehner (R-Ohio) appointed Gowdy as chairman of the special House committee that’s investigating the 2012 terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya. And Boehner recently said Gowdy would remain in that high-profile post in the 114th Congress as well.

Still, that hasn’t soothed the Tea Party Leadership Fund, which launched an online campaign to draft Gowdy for Speaker.

“The American people are desperately looking for leadership to reverse the disastrous course Barack Obama and the Democrats have plunged our country down,” one of the group’s leaders, Rusty Humphries, said in a fundraising email this week. “We need Speaker of the House Trey Gowdy.”

Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), an outspoken Boehner critic, said in a local radio interview he didn’t think Gowdy would be willing to take on Boehner, but added: “If he offered himself, I would be willing to support him.”

After the November midterms, House Republicans huddled behind closed doors and voted to give Boehner another two years as Speaker. But he faces one more test on Jan. 6, when all members must call out their choice for Speaker on the House floor.

In the radio interview, which was flagged by BuzzFeed, Jones said a group of 16 to 18 House Republicans were plotting to oust Boehner during the public floor vote. But with Boehner’s historic 247-seat majority next year, his detractors will need at least 30 votes to force a second ballot.

“We’re gonna have a conference call the week after Christmas with our little group to see where we are,” Jones said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Gowdy: No interest in being Speaker
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:09 am »
Nobody wants to lead the "real" conservatives.  It is an impossible task.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:29:59 am »
Until guys like Mr. Gowdy and others like him become willing to step up to the plate and shoulder the bat, ain't much good gonna be comin' out of the "new Republican majority" down there!!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:34 am »
I don't think much of "draft" campaigns - I don't want somebody to run for something unless they have a burning desire to do so.  It never works out anyway - remember Fred Thompson?

That said, I would like to see Boehner replaced with someone else.  I just think he's worn out his welcome with me and I really don't trust him.  Right now, I don't see that happening though, it's something we'll have to work on. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!