Author Topic: Lindsey Graham Announces Possible Presidential Run, Says Tea Party All About “Hating People”  (Read 4225 times)

Online Millee

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina says he is thinking about seeking his party’s presidential nomination.

Graham is a conservative with a maverick streak who would likely be seen as a long-shot should he launch a candidacy. He’s long been involved in defense issues and is closely allied with Arizona Sen. John McCain, the GOP’s losing 2008 presidential nominee.

Graham told reporters on Tuesday that he believes he has a unique ability to deal with security threats overseas and at home.

He says he believes in conservatism that can solve problems. He says it makes sense to work with Democrats if it leads to solutions that can help the country.

Graham is 55 years old and has been in Congress for 22 years.

WASHINGTON — Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a conservative with a maverick streak and a folksy manner, said Tuesday that he is thinking about seeking the Republican presidential nomination.

The 20-year congressional veteran, whose highest profile interests include defense, would likely be seen as a long-shot if he launches a candidacy. He made his remarks to reporters the same day that former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he will explore running for the White House.

Graham, 59, has been a close ally of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the GOP’s unsuccessful presidential candidate in 2008. Last year, Graham was one of eight senators — four from each party — who crafted an early version of compromise legislation overhauling the nation’s immigration system that passed the Senate but went nowhere in the Republican-run House.

Graham cruised to Senate re-election in November. He easily defeated six GOP primary rivals who cited his history of negotiating with Democrats as proof that he wasn’t conservative enough for South Carolina.

Graham told reporters Tuesday that in his re-election campaign, “I never shied away from trying to solve problems, and working with the Democrats is not a sin if it advances the overall cause.”

He said that while he usually agrees with the tea party, “The problem is that in our primary field, it’s not about the times that you agree, it’s about the 1 in 10 times that you disagree.”

He added, “The test for some is not, ‘Do you agree with me on the issue.’ It’s, ‘Do you hate who I hate.’ And I’m not going to live my political life hating people.”

As a member of the House Judiciary Committee, Graham was one of the GOP managers of the Senate’s 1999 impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton, in which Clinton was acquitted.

“I am not there yet, but what drives my thinking is I do think I have something unique to offer the country, dealing with the threats we face,” he said. “And stay tuned, we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines/lindsey-graham-announces-possible-presidential-run-says-tea-party-all-about-hating-people#.VJGnJZNizwU.facebook

Online Millee

He can be both President and First Lady.   :whistle:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
He can be both President and First Lady.   :whistle:

:silly:  So true!  And the way he follows John McCain around - he could also be first puppy!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

Wrong on both counts.

Offline aligncare

Says Tea Party all about hating people; beginning with Lindsey Graham.  :whistle:

Offline libertybele

I read the first few lines of the article until I got to the sentence that stated Lindsey Graham was a "conservative" and I knew then that the article wasn't worth reading.   :silly:

Interesting how the media, GOP establishment and DEMS keep bashing TEA ... but TEA is alive and well and oh ...did I mention the GOP tidal wave that just hit?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I read the first few lines of the article until I got to the sentence that stated Lindsey Graham was a "conservative" and I knew then that the article wasn't worth reading.   :silly:

Interesting how the media, GOP establishment and DEMS keep bashing TEA ... but TEA is alive and well and oh ...did I mention the GOP tidal wave that just hit?

Great minds think alike!

He's about as conservative as  Juan McCain!

Both are conservatives if you are comparing them to Bernie Sanders!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:58:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

Thankfully, the GOP tidal wave featured few actual TEA party candidates, and none of the Sharon-Angle-Christine-O'Donnell types.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Go ahead. As long as he resigns his post in the Senate to do so.

Scumbags in South Carolina…
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Oh, Goodie.  By the time the primaries get to Pennsylvania I'll get to choose between Bush, Romney, Christie and Graham.  Tough decision. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Rush Limbaugh
Liked · 2 hrs ·

The ideal, the perfect ticket for the 2016 election is Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush. Now, they can figure out who's on top of the ticket on their own. But when you compare their positions -- Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush -- on the key important issues, they are two peas in the same pod: Bipartisanship, crossing the aisle, united government, no more gridlock. They have key agreement on all the important issues that people vote on. Clinton-Bush '16!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

I read the first few lines of the article until I got to the sentence that stated Lindsey Graham was a "conservative" and I knew then that the article wasn't worth reading.   :silly:

Agreed!!  :patriot:

rangerrebew

I wonder if he has checked his voter ID lately to see which party he belongs to.  He's starting like Obama, divide the voters and give them someone to hate.  Hey :facepalm:, Hitler believed in that too.

Offline xfreeper

Right. Reducing gov't and hating people /s

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Right. Reducing gov't and hating people /s

Yeah, we're horrible haters that hate in such a hateful hating way.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mountaineer

I love freedom and the U.S. Constitution. If I hate anyone, it would be those who work against the two things I mentioned loving.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PzLdr

Lindsay Graham: Living proof that not all doofuses are Democrats.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline MACVSOG68

I'm still looking for the quote that was the headline of this article.  In fact in the body of the article he was quoted as saying he usually agrees with the tea party, but says the test for SOME is "do you hate who I hate".  I think his point was made right here on this thread, referring to him as a possible "first lady", calling South Carolinians "scumbags", and making comparisons to Hitler.  There are some whose opinions are laced with hatred. 

But I guess that's politics.  :pondering:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Relic

Poor little Lindsey, his feels are so easily bruised.
Lindsey, what you see isn't reality. The reason you think the Tea Party is about hating people isn't a reflection of them, it's the response you evoke. I'm not Tea Party, and I hate you Lindsey.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
calling South Carolinians "scumbags"

I didn't get that either?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MACVSOG68

Poor little Lindsey, his feels are so easily bruised.
Lindsey, what you see isn't reality. The reason you think the Tea Party is about hating people isn't a reflection of them, it's the response you evoke. I'm not Tea Party, and I hate you Lindsey.

I don't think the tea parties are about hating people, but I also didn't see any quotes where he said that either.  If he did, he needs to retract it, or explain himself.  If he didn't, then the author might want to retract his headline. 

Offline musiclady

I don't think the tea parties are about hating people, but I also didn't see any quotes where he said that either.  If he did, he needs to retract it, or explain himself.  If he didn't, then the author might want to retract his headline.

Man, I hate when this happens, MAC.

I actually agree with you.  ^-^

The title is misleading.  As much as I despise Graham, he didn't say what the headline says he said.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

Thankfully, the GOP tidal wave featured few actual TEA party candidates, and none of the Sharon-Angle-Christine-O'Donnell types.

You need to look at the bigger picture here.  TEA's influence is what has catapulted the REVOLUTION to revitalize conservatism and the very principles upon which this country was founded and to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. Voters spoke very loudly at the polls during the past election; they want the insanity of this administration stopped - period.

The way I see it, you can either be a part of rebuilding America and support TEA are you can be a part of liberalism and the progressive movement that is hell bent on destroying her.

The choice is of course yours.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline MACVSOG68

Man, I hate when this happens, MAC.

I actually agree with you.  ^-^

The title is misleading.  As much as I despise Graham, he didn't say what the headline says he said.

:laugh:  C'mon ML, we gotta agree on something...sometime.

Offline musiclady

:laugh:  C'mon ML, we gotta agree on something...sometime.

Oh, I suppose so....     :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.