Author Topic: The NCAA football-playoff system  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Relic

Re: The NCAA football-playoff system
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 02:41:48 pm »
Oh, come on!  Jones was already on the bench.  He's a Cleveland kid who wanted to play with the Buckeyes.  The only way to have your 'corruption' scenario play out would be to have Barrett break his leg deliberately so that Jones could come in and play.

Ridiculous.

He had NO experience coming in, so 'rested and refreshed" doesn't cut it at all.  He should have been at a disadvantage because he was new, not at an advantage.

And he was playing against a Heisman trophy winner, for heaven's sake.  Mariota is a brilliant player, and Jones as green as they get (though obviously gifted).  And what about Elliot?  He's certainly not "rested."

The idea that Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes are corrupt enough to concoct what you think is "unfair" is hogwash.

What the Buckeyes did last night was remarkable........ pure and simple.   They dominated with their offensive line.  Their defense stopped one of the best college football players out there, and they earned the National Championship fair and square.

(And pretty much everyone ELSE recognizes that fact).

Sounds like a hater to me!  :silly:

O H

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 02:58:20 pm »
That's what fandom is about. Stick with your team. However, I disagree, and there's a trophy that agrees with me.

:beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »
Sounds like a hater to me!  :silly:

O H

I    O!!!

Nice posts above, sir.  :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:28 pm »
Big 12 Refs sucked in the game just as much as they do in the regular season.

Saw a lot of missed holding that should have been called on Ohio State.  Don't know if it would have made any difference, but I hate when refs toss flags against one team, and then do not call the same things against the other.  Our SEC refs are not much better.

I had absolutely no dog in the hunt when it came to who won the game; just would have preferred to see one without the refs being mindless idiots.

Holding calls always get missed by the refs.  And it's the fans from the other team who always see them and scream "HOLDING!!"

Reffing almost never affects the outcome of a game.  Sometimes it makes a difference on big plays, but in the end, the better team on the field wins.

This was a cleanly ref'd game, and a cleanly played game on both sides.

And the team that won, really REALLY WON.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:56 pm »
Holding calls always get missed by the refs.  And it's the fans from the other team who always see them and scream "HOLDING!!"

Reffing almost never affects the outcome of a game.  Sometimes it makes a difference on big plays, but in the end, the better team on the field wins.

This was a cleanly ref'd game, and a cleanly played game on both sides.

And the team that won, really REALLY WON.
While I disagree on that premise (that officials don't have an impact on the end result—I've seen far too many games where multiple great offensive plays got negated by those nebulous "holding" penalties and it just deflated the offense), I don't think officiating had any impact, at least in this case. It would've had to been a huge impact for it to overcome what Ohio State has been dishing out lately.

As for Jones, he's coming back for another season. Let's see how he handles a full year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024