Author Topic: The NCAA football-playoff system  (Read 5984 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: The NCAA football-playoff system
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 07:21:26 pm »
I'll say this much for Ohio State! What they have managed to accomplish despite loosing not one but two starting quarterbacks is nothing short  of amazing!

I don't think they will be able to handle Oregon  but maybe it will still be a good game.

I hoping for the same thing in the Championship as I was in the game against Alabama........... a good game.

I'm proud of the team, proud to be an Ohio State alum (grad school) and a prof, and whatever happens now is just fine with me.

Oregon is an awesome team, and just having the Buckeyes hold their own against them will be satisfying to me.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 07:31:58 pm »
This isn't the NFL, where you can't afford to carry three good quarterbacks on your roster. The NCAA recruiting process is rigged so heavily toward the big schools that most of them carry two or even three starting caliber quarterbacks in their systems. So it's not amazing to me at all, just another symptom of what ESPN has turned college football into.

You're forgetting that OSU has had outstanding coaches and teams and that high school football players WANT to play for the Buckeyes.  Cardale Jones is only a sophomore and  J.T. Barrett a redshirt freshman.  Great QB coaching has helped them step in after Braxton Miller was hurt and do the job for the Buckeyes.

Another thing you haven't factored in is how many great HS football programs there are in Ohio, and how strong the desire is for these Ohio kids to play on a great team a few hours from home.  (If you look around the Big Ten, you'll see a lot of Ohio players everywhere).

THIS is where football started, and the OSU program existed before and will most likely outlast ESPN.

Your post sounds a bit like sour grapes to me........... but then, I'm not exactly objective on this subject.  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 09:26:26 pm »
You're forgetting that OSU has had outstanding coaches and teams and that high school football players WANT to play for the Buckeyes.  Cardale Jones is only a sophomore and  J.T. Barrett a redshirt freshman.  Great QB coaching has helped them step in after Braxton Miller was hurt and do the job for the Buckeyes.

Another thing you haven't factored in is how many great HS football programs there are in Ohio, and how strong the desire is for these Ohio kids to play on a great team a few hours from home.  (If you look around the Big Ten, you'll see a lot of Ohio players everywhere).

THIS is where football started, and the OSU program existed before and will most likely outlast ESPN.

Your post sounds a bit like sour grapes to me........... but then, I'm not exactly objective on this subject.  ^-^

Have to ask.....

Do you make sauce?     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 01:10:31 am »
Have to ask.....

Do you make sauce?     :laugh:

From scratch.   ^-^

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 02:12:31 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:50 pm »
Hey, guess what people??  THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!    :bighug:

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:58 pm »
Congratulations Ohio State...it was a definitive statement.

Urban Meyer has cemented himself as one the best college coaches in history...everyone forgets that he also should have had a national championship with his Utah team years ago in 2005 (his second year of coaching) - that 12-0 team only finished 4th in the final poll after crushing Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl.  I wonder how long it will take before someone proposes a statue of him in Ohio...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 04:49:55 pm »
My wife being born and raised in Fort Worth, we were big TCU fans all season long.  While we were disappointed that they did not get into the final four, we both agreed that Ohio State was more deserving based on the difficulty of its schedule and the decisiveness with which they won the conference.  I'd love to see OSU and TCU play each other.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 05:36:02 pm »
My wife being born and raised in Fort Worth, we were big TCU fans all season long.  While we were disappointed that they did not get into the final four, we both agreed that Ohio State was more deserving based on the difficulty of its schedule and the decisiveness with which they won the conference.  I'd love to see OSU and TCU play each other.

Maybe next year.  :beer:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 06:07:43 pm »
Hey, guess what people??  THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!    :bighug:

I congratulate them! They overcame a lot to get there and made the most of it when they did!

TCU is still the better team however!  :smokin:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »
I congratulate them! They overcame a lot to get there and made the most of it when they did!

I'd love to see a match-up between the two teams.

Which quarterback would you prefer that we start??  (We have three, you know....    :dx1:)

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »
I'd love to see a match-up between the two teams.

Which quarterback would you prefer that we start??  (We have three, you know....    :dx1:)

Don't care! It's that offensive line that worries me!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 06:49:37 pm »
Don't care! It's that offensive line that worries me!

Indeed.

But the defense that stymied Mariota is not one to be trifled with either.  (Meyer obviously figured out how to counter the speed factor).

A complete team.

Offline raml

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 10:16:54 pm »
Ohio deserved the National championship period. Elliot was fantastic and Jones did darn well for only quarterbacking 3 games this year. They proved themselves so quit saying so and so is better. The big 10 rocks. My sister went to Ohio state I went to Michigan state and another sister to Michigan. These are my favorite teams to watch and I am thrilled with Ohio States win.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 10:41:09 pm »
Ohio deserved the National championship period. Elliot was fantastic and Jones did darn well for only quarterbacking 3 games this year. They proved themselves so quit saying so and so is better. The big 10 rocks. My sister went to Ohio state I went to Michigan state and another sister to Michigan. These are my favorite teams to watch and I am thrilled with Ohio States win.

PHOOEY! You're no phunn!   :bolt:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:41:39 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
I had no favorite, but was inclined to hope my region's entry, Oregon would do well. Mostly I would hope for a good game.

But Ohio just got rolling, and rolling....by the end it was not even a close game.

Jones and Elliott were both awesome. They look like pro material right now. And Ohio's coaching clearly played a big role.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:25 pm »
I had no favorite, but was inclined to hope my region's entry, Oregon would do well. Mostly I would hope for a good game.

But Ohio just got rolling, and rolling....by the end it was not even a close game.

Jones and Elliott were both awesome. They look like pro material right now. And Ohio's coaching clearly played a big role.

That offensive line makes lots of people look REALLY good!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 12:16:33 am »

I think I heard Urban Meyer say that when the team travels, the QB travels coach and the offensive line travels first class.

I think HE knows that the bread and butter are more important than the glory. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 01:21:46 am »
There is one thing that just doesn't sit right with me.

As you noted, Ohio State's quarterback (he was third string, but he was third of five on the roster, so it's not like a hapless NFL third-stringer) was only in three games. The playoff system adds a dimension of endurance in that you have to play 15 games in a season. So you have a guy like Jones who comes in, much more rested than the rest of his opposition, and picks them all apart in three straight games. (College players are notorious for hitting a wall after about 12 or 13 weeks; that's why rookies have such a hard time late in seasons when they get to the NFL.) That doesn't seem to be a very sporting way of going about it from my perspective—it's almost as if the Buckeyes brought in a ringer. Granted they pretty much had to do it that way given the injury, but it still seems to corrupt the whole playoff process. Ohio State was not the same team with Jones at the helm that they were for much of the season.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:53:46 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 01:35:47 am »

As you noted, Ohio State's quarterback (he was third string, but he was third of five on the roster, so it's not like a hapless NFL third-stringer) was only in three games. The playoff system adds a dimension of endurance in that you have to play 15 games in a season. So you have a guy like Jones who comes in, much more rested than the rest of his opposition, and picks them all apart in three straight games. (College players are notorious for hitting a wall after about 12 or 13 weeks; that's why rookies have such a hard time.) That doesn't seem to be a very sporting way of going about it from my perspective—it's almost as if the Buckeyes brought in a ringer. Granted they pretty much had to do it that way given the injury, but it still seems to corrupt the whole playoff process. Ohio State was not the same team with Jones at the helm that they were for much of the season.

Oh, come on!  Jones was already on the bench.  He's a Cleveland kid who wanted to play with the Buckeyes.  The only way to have your 'corruption' scenario play out would be to have Barrett break his leg deliberately so that Jones could come in and play.

Ridiculous.

He had NO experience coming in, so 'rested and refreshed" doesn't cut it at all.  He should have been at a disadvantage because he was new, not at an advantage.

And he was playing against a Heisman trophy winner, for heaven's sake.  Mariota is a brilliant player, and Jones as green as they get (though obviously gifted).  And what about Elliot?  He's certainly not "rested."

The idea that Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes are corrupt enough to concoct what you think is "unfair" is hogwash.

What the Buckeyes did last night was remarkable........ pure and simple.   They dominated with their offensive line.  Their defense stopped one of the best college football players out there, and they earned the National Championship fair and square.

(And pretty much everyone ELSE recognizes that fact).

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2015, 02:00:17 am »
Big 12 Refs sucked in the game just as much as they do in the regular season.

Saw a lot of missed holding that should have been called on Ohio State.  Don't know if it would have made any difference, but I hate when refs toss flags against one team, and then do not call the same things against the other.  Our SEC refs are not much better.

I had absolutely no dog in the hunt when it came to who won the game; just would have preferred to see one without the refs being mindless idiots.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Relic

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2015, 02:31:11 pm »
Congratulations Ohio State...it was a definitive statement.

Urban Meyer has cemented himself as one the best college coaches in history...everyone forgets that he also should have had a national championship with his Utah team years ago in 2005 (his second year of coaching) - that 12-0 team only finished 4th in the final poll after crushing Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl.  I wonder how long it will take before someone proposes a statue of him in Ohio...

He's Ohio grown. He grew up somewhere around Ashtabula. Started coaching at Bowling Green.

It's a great story, early loss to a weak opponent at home, lose 2 QBs, win with the 3rd string QB. It doesn't happen often that your team wins it all. Especially in this part of Ohio, where our teams are doomed to shoot for mediocrity as their top end, and consistently fall short. So, I'm savoring every moment of this. Hammer a good Wisconsin team, beat a consistently strong SEC Alabama team, and make the one of the two best QBs in college football look average while decisively beating Oregon.

If they haven't started the statue yet, I wonder what they're waiting for!  :beer:

Offline Relic

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:39 pm »

That's what fandom is about. Stick with your team. However, I disagree, and there's a trophy that agrees with me.

Offline Relic

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

Consider that the offensive line is the reason they got beat by Virginia Tech. Three of last year's OSU offensive linemen started for a team in last weekend's NFL playoffs, (they graduated 4 starters from the O line). The coaches did a fantastic job with the new group, not discounting that they had a lot to work with.

Offline Relic

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 02:40:41 pm »

As you noted, Ohio State's quarterback (he was third string, but he was third of five on the roster, so it's not like a hapless NFL third-stringer) was only in three games. The playoff system adds a dimension of endurance in that you have to play 15 games in a season. So you have a guy like Jones who comes in, much more rested than the rest of his opposition, and picks them all apart in three straight games. (College players are notorious for hitting a wall after about 12 or 13 weeks; that's why rookies have such a hard time late in seasons when they get to the NFL.) That doesn't seem to be a very sporting way of going about it from my perspective—it's almost as if the Buckeyes brought in a ringer. Granted they pretty much had to do it that way given the injury, but it still seems to corrupt the whole playoff process. Ohio State was not the same team with Jones at the helm that they were for much of the season.

Really? How many teams have you seen go down the tubes when losing a starting QB in college? Because it happens all the time. It's incredibly difficult to keep more than one quality QB. Not many quality QBs will sign up to sit behind another. In addition, QB isn't like any other position, there is timing with the center, the line, the running backs, the receivers. If it was such a good idea to start your 2nd or 3rd QB, why didn't Alabama or Oregon do it? Why didn't they even switch it up? I'll tell you why, because your first is your best, and taking your best QB off the field is a very bad idea.