Author Topic: Obama's Hotel Bill for One Night in Brisbane: $1.7M  (Read 842 times)

rangerrebew

Obama's Hotel Bill for One Night in Brisbane: $1.7M
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »
Published on The Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com)

Obama's Hotel Bill for One Night in Brisbane: $1.7M

Jeryl Bier

December 8, 2014 7:14 AM

President Obama stayed only one night in Australia for the G-20 summit, but the entire presidential delegation required over 4,000 rooms costing in excess of $1.7 million for the entire stay. Rooms at three different hotels were reserved for the U.S. delegation, and due to the large number of countries involved in the summit, the Australian government parceled out available hotels to each nation's delegation. The majority of the U.S. delegation stayed at the Brisbane Marriott, with the remainder staying at two other Brisbane hotels, the Urban and the Adina.

Presidential visits, such as for the G-20 summit, require advance teams for security and logistics, and may also include arrangements for officials conducting discussions and negotiations before and after the president himself is in the host country.

Often for such contracts, full and open competition is not possible because time constraints and related security concerns preclude a bidding process. However, in this case, the Australian government required countries to use designated hotels which placed additional limits on alternatives. In any case, the estimated total cost for the three hotels was about $1,732,000; based on an estimated 4,096 room nights, the per room cost comes to $423 per night. The Justification documents for the three contracts state that the cost is "fair and reasonable based on the pricing available across the city of Brisbane at the time of the visit."

Although the White House schedule indicates that the president both left Burma (the previous stop on the trip) and arrived in Australia on Friday, November 14, that schedule reflects Washington D.C. time. Other guidance provided by the White House indicates that the president spent Friday night on Air Force One and arrived in Australia on Saturday local time.

While the average room cost in the three contracts came to $423/night, the U.K. Daily Mail reported the president's suite for his one-night stay on Saturday lists at over $2,000 per night. The Mail also reported on the extensive preparations to the president's room and the entire floor of the hotel to secure the area for his stay, which included a complete strip-down of the president's suite.

President Obama began the week of the G-20 summit by traveling to China where he spent several days before proceeding to Burma. Details on lodging for those two legs of the trip have not yet been posted.

Subscribe now to The Weekly Standard!

Get more from The Weekly Standard: Follow WeeklyStandard.com on RSS and sign-up for our free Newsletter.

Copyright 2014 Weekly Standard LLC.

Source URL: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obamas-one-night-brisbane-australia-hotel-bill-17m_820753.html

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Obama's Hotel Bill for One Night in Brisbane: $1.7M
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:41:45 pm »
4K rooms? Did he bring every agency head in DC and a half dozen of their staff? I can see a couple hundred between aides and security, and I don't expect them to stay at the El Rancherito, but $1.7M is way off the map.
The Republic is lost.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:53:03 pm »
4K rooms? Did he bring every agency head in DC and a half dozen of their staff? I can see a couple hundred between aides and security, and I don't expect them to stay at the El Rancherito, but $1.7M is way off the map.

I wonder how much of that went into Democrat crony's pockets?

Everything these crooks do is a racket.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »
Wonder how much it will cost us, the US, to fumigate the white house when these roaches leave.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:06:08 pm »
I wonder how much of that went into Democrat crony's pockets?

Everything these crooks do is a racket.
Let us do the math shall we?  4000 people is how many airplane seats?  747 has 358 normal seats. so 10 747's would be 3580 seats.  I am thinking both AF1 are the same inside so they probably have less seating. How many planes did it take to ship all these people to this place. How many people traveled with Bush?