Author Topic: NASA announces manned Mars mission  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline PzLdr

Re: NASA announces manned Mars mission
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:15 am »
Wonder which Moslem planned the mission?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »

Will there be room for prayer rugs and foot washing stations?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »

Huh?
-Socrates

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »
I prefer a mission to Alpha Centauri..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 12:01:37 am »
Where are they planning to get the money?No bucks - No Buck Rogers!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 12:29:11 am »
Huh?

Barack Obama: Nasa must try to make Muslims 'feel good'
The head of the Nasa has said Barack Obama told him to make "reaching out to the Muslim world" one of the space agency's top priorities.
 By Toby Harnden in Washington
8:00PM BST 06 Jul 2010

Charles Bolden, a retired United States Marines Corps major-general and former astronaut, said in an interview with al-Jazeera that Nasa was not only a space exploration agency but also an "Earth improvement agency".

Mr Bolden said: "When I became the Nasa administrator, he [Mr Obama] charged me with three things.

"One, he wanted me to help reinspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

He added: "It is a matter of trying to reach out and get the best of all worlds, if you will, and there is much to be gained by drawing in the contributions that are possible from the Muslim [nations]."   ...
More at Telegraph (UK)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 02:21:14 am »

Very true!!

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:25:40 am »

Very true!!

If they expect to pull this off, they will have to spread the costs and involve different space agencies. This includes involving some of the newer companies like Space X.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »

If we in the United States cared about our space program enough to give it even a small percentage of the funding we give to our military there would be more than enough money for the United States to lead the way in space exploration. People don't seem to understand how important science and space exploration is for the future. The country that expands into and begins to conquer space is going to be the superpower of the future. We can have all of the military might we want, but technology will be the most important factor. Countless world superpowers have been dethroned due to lack of innovation and technology. Europe and even Asia are all poised to surpass us on that front if we do not do something about it. 
-Socrates

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
If we in the United States cared about our space program enough to give it even a small percentage of the funding we give to our military there would be more than enough money for the United States to lead the way in space exploration. People don't seem to understand how important science and space exploration is for the future. The country that expands into and begins to conquer space is going to be the superpower of the future. We can have all of the military might we want, but technology will be the most important factor. Countless world superpowers have been dethroned due to lack of innovation and technology. Europe and even Asia are all poised to surpass us on that front if we do not do something about it.

Forget it. Reason was jettisoned a long time ago. There are EBT cards to charge, and pork barrel boondoggles to fund.

Those that care about space exploration, and science, are in the decided mino... excuse me, I just got a tweet, now I have to update my facebook page.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:27 pm »
Barack Obama: Nasa must try to make Muslims 'feel good'
The head of the Nasa has said Barack Obama told him to make "reaching out to the Muslim world" one of the space agency's top priorities.
 By Toby Harnden in Washington
8:00PM BST 06 Jul 2010More at Telegraph (UK)

Maybe if the Muslim world became more interested in the pursuit of science and the progression of humanity they would finally be able to join the rest of us at the adult table. I don't believe nor will I ever believe that Muslims are inherently bad, or even that they are more consistently bad. Culturally they are dragging behind the rest of us, and that is why they seem barbaric. They are no worse than countless other groups of people throughout history. I think Muslims do need to be encouraged to become more science/space minded.
-Socrates

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 08:20:41 pm »
Why are they going to Mars? There are no infidels to blow up there.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Relic

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:42 pm »
Maybe if the Muslim world became more interested in the pursuit of science and the progression of humanity they would finally be able to join the rest of us at the adult table. I don't believe nor will I ever believe that Muslims are inherently bad, or even that they are more consistently bad. Culturally they are dragging behind the rest of us, and that is why they seem barbaric. They are no worse than countless other groups of people throughout history. I think Muslims do need to be encouraged to become more science/space minded.

Great, then Obama is your man.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 01:03:18 am »

That's a poor apples/oranges comparison.  It's like the old canard:  if we can send people to the Moon why can't we end poverty?

SPQR

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 03:30:12 am »

The military is mentioned in Article One Section 8 of the Constitution to be funded.NASA is a luxury item in the federal budget

http://1787-1.blogspot.com/2007/05/constitution-part-xii-military.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:41:13 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 04:12:05 am »

All of our technology to date have been spinoffs from military projects. The Redstone IRBM,Titan II ICBM and Atlas ICBM were used in the space program of the 1960s. The X series planes under the tutelage of the USAF have been used in the space program. Now the Peacekeeper missiles are being used to launch satellites from Space X.Anyways, the USAF is sort of in the "space exploration" buisness with the X-37 but nobody knows what the purpose of the X-37
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:12:55 am by Trigger »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »
The military is mentioned in Article One Section 8 of the Constitution to be funded.NASA is a luxury item in the federal budget

http://1787-1.blogspot.com/2007/05/constitution-part-xii-military.html

That's true, but to be fair the founding fathers were probably not aware of the fact that we'd be trying to get to Mars. NASA being a "luxury item" does not make it unimportant. The pursuit of science is incredibly important.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »
All of our technology to date have been spinoffs from military projects. The Redstone IRBM,Titan II ICBM and Atlas ICBM were used in the space program of the 1960s. The X series planes under the tutelage of the USAF have been used in the space program. Now the Peacekeeper missiles are being used to launch satellites from Space X.Anyways, the USAF is sort of in the "space exploration" buisness with the X-37 but nobody knows what the purpose of the X-37

You're right that a lot of our scientific progress has been made from a desire to kill and conquer. Imagine if we entered a period of time where science was sought after purely for the sake of science. I imagine the progress would be a lot better.
-Socrates

rangerrebew

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »
I nominate Al Sharptongue, J$ss$ J$cks$n, and Kaleed Sheik Mohammed for the crew.  As backups, Nazi Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Jorge Ramos.

SPQR

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 01:44:17 am »
You're right that a lot of our scientific progress has been made from a desire to kill and conquer. Imagine if we entered a period of time where science was sought after purely for the sake of science. I imagine the progress would be a lot better.

But we have maintained our lead among the Russians and Chinese in technology. I see nothing wrong in investing in the military. You are a pacifist

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:49 am »
That's true, but to be fair the founding fathers were probably not aware of the fact that we'd be trying to get to Mars. NASA being a "luxury item" does not make it unimportant. The pursuit of science is incredibly important.

NASA is not necessary and, for the most part, sucks the oxygen out of the room for private ventures that would be much better at the space exploration game than NASA was, is, or ever will be.  NASA manned missions are a glorious waste of OPM (other peoples' money).

SPQR

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 06:43:19 am »
NASA is not necessary and, for the most part, sucks the oxygen out of the room for private ventures that would be much better at the space exploration game than NASA was, is, or ever will be.  NASA manned missions are a glorious waste of OPM (other peoples' money).

I agree with you. The same thing can be accomplished with unmanned robot missions at the fraction of the cost of a manned mission. Space X is a good example of private ventures that is paying off.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 07:02:30 am »

The problem with relying completely on private ventures is that those will only take place if there is money to be made. This will become a limiting factor because exploring space may not always be profitable. The importance of space exploration goes beyond money, and should not be hindered by the fact that it isn't always going to be profitable. I have to stand in awe of people that take issue with some of our tax money being used for things like NASA. So much of our money is wasted on complete nonsense; why attack one of the few things that is actually doing some good for humanity?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:07:28 am by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

SPQR

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:45 am »
The problem with relying completely on private ventures is that those will only take place if there is money to be made. This will become a limiting factor because exploring space may not always be profitable. The importance of space exploration goes beyond money, and should not be hindered by the fact that it isn't always going to be profitable. I have to stand in awe of the people that take issue with some of our tax money being used for things like NASA. So much of our money is wasted on complete nonsense. Is NASA really the one you have a problem with?

Is there a problem making money off your ventures and whatever spinoff technology that comes from it? NASA made money off from the spinoffs from the 1960s all the way to the Space Shuttle.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:06:54 am by Trigger »