Author Topic: WHITE HOUSE: OBAMA WILL SHUT DOWN GOV'T IF CONGRESS DEFUNDS EXEC AMNESTY  (Read 589 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/12/01/White-House-Obama-Will-Shut-Down-Gov-t-if-Congress-Defunds-Exec-Amnesty

by TONY LEE  1 Dec 2014, 2:01 PM PDT

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest is warning that President Barack Obama would veto any spending bill that prohibits federal funds from being spent to enact Obama's executive amnesty. That means Obama is willing to shut down the government to preserve his executive amnesty.

When asked if Obama would veto a bill that prohibits federal funds from being spent to enact his executive amnesty, Earnest simply replied: "yes."

When asked if that would mean Obama is willing to shut down the government if Congress passes a funding bill that would "tie the president's hands" on executive amnesty, Earnest spun and said, "I actually don’t believe that members of Congress are going to be willing to go along with an effort to shut down the government over the president’s executive action on immigration." Congress must pass a new spending bill by December 11.

Earnest was not as clear about Obama's intentions before Obama announced his executive amnesty. On November 20, Earnest was asked, "So you don't rule out the President signing into law something that would undo the very thing he’s going to announce tomorrow night?" He responded then, "Well, I think that seems--I think we'll have to sort of evaluate for ourselves what sort of proposals Republicans put forward, so I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at this point. But it won't surprise you to hear proposals that are floated like that certainly would not be among the kinds of proposals we’d support."

House conservatives are reportedly working on legislation that would ensure "no part of any appropriation" could be used to enact Obama's executive amnesty. Last week, the Congressional Research Service sent a letter to Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) reporting that Congress does have the ability to restrict expenditures by an agency.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: WHITE HOUSE: OBAMA WILL SHUT DOWN GOV'T IF CONGRESS DEFUNDS EXEC AMNESTY
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:08:33 am »
Then do it.

Keep sending him a bill every single day and make him veto each one.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:13:26 am »
Then do it.

I agree!

And there would be NO doubt as to who is really "shutting down" the government under that scenario!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:06 am »
I wonder if any Dems would vote to override a veto on this?  Thoughtful people on the left are not comfortable with OPapaDoc's claim of executive authority, even though they tend to agree with the policy.  Plus, OPapaDoc himself is not too popular within his own party nowadays.  He's seen as the guy responsible for the party's demise. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:20:49 am »
Then do it.

I like it   :beer:

Offline Kansas

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:17:35 am »
Then do it.

I agree.  The GOP must keep the heat on Owebama.  The way to do it is make sure a new bill is on his desk every single day funding some part of the government along with a portion of it that defunds his executive order.  But it must be something that he must either sign or veto to keep it in the news cycle.  Otherwise the blame will be put on Republicans as it has been done in the past.
"How do you tell a communist?  Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.  How do you tell an anti-communist?  It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin"-Ronald Reagan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 02:23:30 am »
Title:
[[ WHITE HOUSE: OBAMA WILL SHUT DOWN GOV'T IF CONGRESS DEFUNDS EXEC AMNESTY ]]

Sounds fine to me.

I'd prefer to see the Obama administration "shut down" by itself.

Can we KEEP the government shut down for the next two years?

That IS NOT a rhetorical or flippant statement.

I mean it !

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 02:34:34 am »
Title:
[[ WHITE HOUSE: OBAMA WILL SHUT DOWN GOV'T IF CONGRESS DEFUNDS EXEC AMNESTY ]]

Sounds fine to me.

I'd prefer to see the Obama administration "shut down" by itself.

Can we KEEP the government shut down for the next two years?

That IS NOT a rhetorical or flippant statement.

I mean it !

I have seen what happens when the federal government is open.  Closed has to be an improvement.

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 03:19:34 am »
Everybody thought that the last government shutdown would harm the GOP. Apparently it did not. The GOP ended up gaining seats in the last election and backfired on Obama. I say call Obama's bluff.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:21:16 am by Trigger »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »
There must be some way the media will blame this on Ted Cruz.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org