Author Topic: Live Thread: Ferguson Grand Jury Decision and Riots  (Read 14366 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Total Police Failure Brings Absolute Mayhem To Ferguson After Grand Jury Announcement

Posted By Eric Owens On 1:31 AM 11/25/2014 In | No Comments

FERGUSON, Mo. — Incredibly intense violence bubbled up on Monday night in Ferguson, Mo. after St. Louis County prosecutor Robert P. McCulloch announced that white police officer Darren Wilson will face no criminal charges for shooting and killing 18-year-old Michael Brown on Aug. 9.

Despite having about three full months of relative peace in Ferguson to plan for the possibility of violent demonstrations, police had completely lost control of Ferguson about 90 minutes after the grand jury announcement.

By 10:30 p.m., the strip of W. Ferguson Avenue from Chambers Road to Woodstock Avenue that had been the epicenter of the Aug. 9 protests had become a crazy, no-go zone for any peaceful protesters and — it certainly seemed — for police.

Police armed with rifles had set up a checkpoint at the south end of the anarchy-like conditions on W. Florissant. About two dozen police cars sat a few blocks north of the checkpoint in the small parking lot of Pawn Center.

For several blocks north beyond the pawn shop, though, there appeared to be no police presence whatsoever.

“There are hundreds of us and thousands of them,” an officer brandishing a rifle explained to The Daily Caller.

At least temporarily, the police failure appeared almost total.

Protesters on W. Florissant snarled traffic for blocks.

A number of gun shots rang through the air all along the street.

Young men roaming West Florissant Avenue broke plate glass windows and looted stores. One such store was Ferguson Market & Liquor, which had been boarded up. TheDC witnessed dozens of people streaming in and out of the store, carrying out all manner of food and beverages. The McDonalds next door also appeared to be looted.

About a mile away, at the corner of South Florissant Road and Hereford Avenue, virtually the same scene of looting played out at a CVS pharmacy.

Cars including, reportedly, police cars, were set on fire on W. Florissant.

Looters set Sam’s Meat Market on W. Florissant on fire. A nearby storage facility was also set ablaze.

At the police checkpoint just south of the carnage, TheDC witnessed fire trucks rolling onto the scene. A National Guard truck full of guardsmen appeared to tag along.

Before the mayhem on W. Florissant had begun, Act I of Monday night’s protest occurred outside the Ferguson police station on South Florissant Road a few hours before McCulloch made the announcement of the grand jury’s decision.

This first protest was far more sedate, involving a few hundred people (a few in their prized Guy Fawkes masks), a smattering of printed signs, and a bit of chanting. Police stood in their regular uniforms outside the station.

At approximately 8:25 p.m. local time, as McCullough spoke, and as it became clear to the assembled throng that Wilson would not face charges, a slow wave of anger swept over the crowd.  The sound of a few breaking bottles pierced the air.

There was much yelling. “We gonna tear this shit up,” someone said. “No justice no peace” was a common refrain.

Next, a phalanx of police officers standing in front of the police station appeared in full riot gear. Protesters severely tested them with invective. They tried but failed to turn over a police car.

The protest slowly oozed a few blocks south. Some protesters shattered the glass in front of a Mexican restaurant and a second restaurant. The protesters loudly chanted “bleep tha police” over and over again as they faced off with a large number of police cars and an armored vehicle that had by then appeared.

After several warnings, police lobbed a large number of tear gas canisters toward the protesters. The canisters flew toward and over the crowd like Roman candles on the Fourth of July, distributing a thorough haze of noxious gas.

The protesters quickly dispersed — puking, spitting and crying as they went.

“Don’t give ‘em what they want,” a woman at the South Florissant Road protest in front of the police station had urged the crowd, well before the tear gas started. “They want us to act like a bunch of animals.”

An endless stream of police cars, armored cars and what appeared to be National Guard units could be seen rushing to the scene of the havoc and confusion on W. Florissant as the evening descended further into complete chaos.

Follow Eric on Twitter. Like Eric on Facebook. Send story tips to erico@dailycaller.com.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/25/total-police-failure-brings-absolute-mayhem-to-ferguson-after-grand-jury-announcement/

rangerrebew

Sharpton: Grand Jury Announcement ‘An Absolute Blow’
« Reply #326 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:23 am »
- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Sharpton: Grand Jury Announcement ‘An Absolute Blow’

Posted By Al Weaver On 12:46 AM 11/25/2014 In | No Comments

Appearing following the grand jury’s decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the death of Michael Brown, civil rights activist Al Sharpton criticized Prosecutor Bob McCulloch’s handling of the case, while adding the decision was “expected,” yet a “blow” to many who wanted to “see a fair and open trial.”

“It was expected, but still an absolute blow to those of us that wanted to see a fair and open trial. I think that it is clear that even when you see a blow coming that you expected, it still hurts nonetheless,” said Sharpton. “We said from the beginning, we said we had little or no confidence in this prosecutor and called for federal intervention.”

Sharpton criticized McCulloch for not saying how many members of the grand jury voted for indictment, and how many did not, even though McCulloch made it known multiple times during the announcement that statute prohibits anyone from talking about the vote within the the grand jury.

“And he would very clearly and carefully not give whether this was a unanimous vote of the grand jury or not, because clearly if some in the grand jury voted for the indictment, what all that he claimed they saw, did it convince all of the members of the grand jury, and what is it that they saw,” Sharpton added.

The MSNBC host also announced he would be in Ferguson Tuesday to attend a press conference with Michael Brown’s parents at 11 a.m., adding there would be many rallies across the country.

WATCH (Starts at 52:40):

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/25/sharpton-grand-jury-announcement-an-absolute-blow/

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Live Thread: Ferguson Grand Jury Decision and Riots
« Reply #327 on: November 25, 2014, 11:18:57 am »
Well, once again the 'peaceful protesters' crapped in their own bed. They burned down their own community in the name of a young Black thug, and so called civil rights.

One of the strangest stories I've heard is a that a liquor that apparently tried to stay open during the riots. My goodness. How naive can someone be. Obviously it was raided and looted, which it probably would have been anyway. But still, why open the doors and invite them in? Strange.

Also I noticed an amazing amount of White people involved in this. I mean of course I understand White people protesting for civil rights, but from what I see there seem to be about 50/50 White/Black. I would not have guessed this.

There is a White guy wearing a tee shirt that says, "I am Mike Brown." Well, no. You're not. Believe it or not you are a White guy. I get the impression he is missing the point of the whole incident.

But, anyway, who knows? I think most of these guys were just out there to steal what they could and generally raise hell about something. The reporters last night were saying there was an atmosphere of "glee" during the riots. They said it had an air of 'carnival'. This of course is the exact opposite of grief, mourning, and respect, normal people would have felt.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline WAYNE

And it will get dark again here...

Offline olde north church

Re: GRAND JURY REACHES DECISION
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:23 am »
Trying to interview a looter.  She wouldn't speak, but was carrying a huge bottle of gin.

Well, sure as shit it wasn't going to be a Bible or toothpaste!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #330 on: November 25, 2014, 12:46:03 pm »
Some observations:

Interesting that I-44 was closed. It's several miles south of Ferguson. University City, where an officer was shot, is my former home and still not exactly close to Ferguson. I'd guess the rioters had instructions to fan out and cause problems wherever they felt like it. I wonder if they've trashed Frontenac, a wealthy white community with an upscale shopping center which, again, isn't near Ferguson.

Anyone notice that Ojackass didn't start his comments until 10:09 or so, and then abruptly left? That schedule coincided perfectly with halftime of the Saints-Ravens game. As soon as the halftime report started, Obama showed up. As soon as the second half started, he ran back to the TV.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:36 pm »
Once again, the people starting the riots and burning things down were NOT the peaceful protestors from Ferguson.

Be careful how you judge what's going on based on the media's need to have a story.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2014, 01:11:05 pm »
"Protests" and riots are occurring in places other than Ferguson, Mo.  I'm headed into Pittsburgh today and will be accompanied by Messrs. Smith and Wesson, just in case.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #334 on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »
Once again, the people starting the riots and burning things down were NOT the peaceful protestors from Ferguson.

Be careful how you judge what's going on based on the media's need to have a story.

Another thought.

Our black guests reading some of the posts here might conclude, incorrectly, that we here are against blacks, that we are racists.

However, if those folks would just dig a little deeper and try to get past their own bitterness and preconceptions, they'll find that nothing could be further from the truth; that we are all of us here interested in the facts on-the-ground in this unfortunate situation.

The grand jury knew the facts, and decided that Michael Brown was not a "gentle giant" that fateful day, and that the officer that shot him, Darren Wilson, was not a rogue racist cop. But, rather was a man who was brutally attacked while in the performance of his duty and in those terrible moments before he shot, feared for his life and did what anyone would have done, defended himself.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:46:40 pm by aligncare »

Offline evadR

« Reply #335 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »
“We said from the beginning, we said we had little or no confidence in this prosecutor and called for federal intervention.”

Yeah Rev, we hear ya.

My guess is that Obama will drum up some sort of violation of civil rights charge and the saga will continue.
Double jeopardy means nothing to these people although I'm not sure how that applies to a GJ decision.
OR, he'll have a new GJ investigation opened up based on "new" information.
OR, who knows what the bastard will do but I'd venture to say that officer Wilson is not out of this yet...not by a long stretch.

So, hang in there Sharpie. You'll be milking this for years to come.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2014, 02:36:24 pm »
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/darren-wilson/witnesss-said-brown-charged-wilson-897043
Ferguson Witnesss Told Investigators That Michael Brown Charged Cop "Like a Football Player. Head Down"
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #337 on: November 25, 2014, 02:36:48 pm »
Another thought.

Our black guests reading some of the posts here might conclude, incorrectly, that we here are against blacks, that we are racists.

However, if those folks would just dig a little deeper and try to get past their own bitterness and preconceptions, they'll find that nothing could be further from the truth; that we are all of us here interested in the facts on-the-ground in this unfortunate situation.

The grand jury knew the facts, that Michael Brown was not a "gentle giant" and that the officer that shot him, Darren Wilson, was not a rogue racist cop. But, rather was a man who was brutally attacked while in the performance of his duty and in those terrible moments before he shot, feared for his life and did what anyone would have done, defended himself.

Well I, for one, DO hate race baiting poverty pimps regardless of what color they happen to be!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #338 on: November 25, 2014, 02:40:02 pm »

Absolutely Right!

The "people" doing that are professional anarchist agitators! The same ones we saw with occupy Wall Street and every other such event. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #339 on: November 25, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »
These outside agitators: do you not have sedition laws?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #340 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:33 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #341 on: November 25, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »
These outside agitators: do you not have sedition laws?

Yes and no!  The article below is a very good explanation of the situation.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2010/04/sedition_is_constitutional.html

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #342 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »
Thank you - an interesting read.

There are times when not having a constitution has it's advantages.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #343 on: November 25, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »

Greg Craven, formerly Dean and law professor at the University of Notre Dame Australia law school, once said that when you can get a constitution enacted you usually don't need it, and when you do need a constitution, you usually can't get it.

All in all, I'll stick with a written constitution - provided the landed gentry on this forum are willing to let me keep my vote.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #344 on: November 25, 2014, 03:57:15 pm »

Undoubtedly true! But I'll take having one over not any day!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2014, 04:24:42 pm »
Greg Craven, formerly Dean and law professor at the University of Notre Dame Australia law school, once said that when you can get a constitution enacted you usually don't need it, and when you do need a constitution, you usually can't get it.

All in all, I'll stick with a written constitution -provided the landed gentry on this forum are willing to let me keep my vote.

Mind your place!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

« Reply #346 on: November 25, 2014, 04:39:16 pm »
A transcript of the grand jury proceedings can be downloaded as pdf directly from here:  http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/11/24/ferguson-assets/grand-jury-testimony.pdf

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2014, 04:58:17 pm »
Absolutely Right!

The "people" doing that are professional anarchist agitators! The same ones we saw with occupy Wall Street and every other such event.

Here's your lead agitator:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/lisa-fithian-occupy-wall-street-teaching-civil-disobedience

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:59:30 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2014, 05:41:05 pm »

KIRO 7 ‏@KIRO7Seattle 2m2 minutes ago

Family attorney Benjamin Crump: Our children deserve equal justice.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »
Who changed the title of this thread..it is very confusing... :chairbang:
Support the USO