Author Topic: GOP HAGEL SACKED AT PENTAGON  (Read 2179 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP HAGEL SACKED AT PENTAGON
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:18 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/us/hagel-said-to-be-stepping-down-as-defense-chief-under-pressure.html?_r=0

Hagel Said to Be Stepping Down as Defense Chief Under Pressure

By HELENE COOPERNOV. 24, 2014

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is stepping down under pressure, the first cabinet-level casualty of the collapse of President Obama’s Democratic majority in the Senate and a beleaguered national security team that has struggled to stay ahead of an onslaught of global crises.

The president, who is expected to announce Mr. Hagel’s resignation in a Rose Garden appearance on Monday, made the decision to ask his defense secretary — the sole Republican on his national security team — to step down last Friday after a series of meetings over the past two weeks, senior administration officials said.

The officials described Mr. Obama’s decision to remove Mr. Hagel, 68, as a recognition that the threat from the Islamic State would require a different kind of skills than those that Mr. Hagel was brought on to employ. A Republican with military experience who was skeptical about the Iraq war, Mr. Hagel came in to manage the Afghanistan combat withdrawal and the shrinking Pentagon budget in the era of budget sequestration.

But now “the next couple of years will demand a different kind of focus,” one administration official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. He insisted that Mr. Hagel was not fired, saying that he initiated discussions about his future two weeks ago with the president, and that the two men mutually agreed that it was time for him to leave.

But Mr. Hagel’s aides had maintained in recent weeks that he expected to serve the full four years as defense secretary. His removal appears to be an effort by the White House to show that it is sensitive to critics who have pointed to stumbles in the government’s early response to several national security issues, including the Ebola crisis and the threat posed by the Islamic State.

Even before the announcement of Mr. Hagel’s removal, Obama officials were speculating on his possible replacement. At the top of the list are Michèle Flournoy, the former under secretary of defense; Senator Jack Reed, Democrat of Rhode Island and a former officer with the Army’s 82nd Airborne; and Ashton B. Carter, a former deputy secretary of defense.

A respected former senator who struck a friendship with Mr. Obama when they were both critics of the Iraq war from positions on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Mr. Hagel has nonetheless had trouble penetrating the tight team of former campaign aides and advisers who form Mr. Obama’s closely knit set of loyalists. Senior administration officials have characterized him as quiet during cabinet meetings; Mr. Hagel’s defenders said that he waited until he was alone with the president before sharing his views, the better to avoid leaks.

Whatever the case, Mr. Hagel struggled to fit in with Mr. Obama’s close circle and was viewed as never gaining traction in the administration after a bruising confirmation fight among his old Senate colleagues, during which he was criticized for seeming tentative in his responses to sharp questions.

He never really shed that pall after arriving at the Pentagon, and in the past months he has largely ceded the stage to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, who officials said initially won the confidence of Mr. Obama with his recommendation of military action against the Islamic State.

In Mr. Hagel’s less than two years on the job, his detractors said he struggled to inspire confidence at the Pentagon in the manner of his predecessors, especially Robert M. Gates. But several of Mr. Obama’s top advisers over the past few months have also acknowledged privately that the president did not want another high-profile defense secretary in the manner of Mr. Gates, who went on to write a memoir of his years with Mr. Obama in which he sharply criticized the president. Mr. Hagel, they said, in many ways was exactly the kind of defense secretary whom the president, after battling the military during his first term, wanted.

Mr. Hagel, for his part, spent his time on the job largely carrying out Mr. Obama’s stated wishes on matters like bringing back American troops from Afghanistan and trimming the Pentagon budget, with little pushback. He did manage to inspire loyalty among enlisted soldiers and often seemed at his most confident when talking to troops or sharing wartime experiences as a Vietnam veteran.

But Mr. Hagel has often had problems articulating his thoughts — or administration policy — in an effective manner, and has sometimes left reporters struggling to describe what he has said in news conferences. In his side-by-side appearances with both General Dempsey and Secretary of State John Kerry, Mr. Hagel, a decorated Vietnam veteran and the first former enlisted combat soldier to be defense secretary, has often been upstaged.

He raised the ire of the White House in August as the administration was ramping up its strategy to fight the Islamic State, directly contradicting the president, who months before had likened the Sunni militant group to a junior varsity basketball squad. Mr. Hagel, facing reporters in his now-familiar role next to General Dempsey, called the Islamic State an “imminent threat to every interest we have,” adding, “This is beyond anything that we’ve seen.” White House officials later said they viewed those comments as unhelpful, although the administration still appears to be struggling to define just how large is the threat posed by the Islamic State.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: GOP HAGEL SACKED AT PENTAGON
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »
One idiot fires another.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:44:08 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/how-do-you-spell-scapegoat-h-g-e-l_819819.html

How Do You Spell Scapegoat? H-A-G-E-L

William Kristol

November 24, 2014 9:33 AM

So Chuck Hagel has been fired as defense secretary. We were critical of his appointment, and opposed his confirmation by the Senate. But let's be clear: Hagel has done what he was asked and what was expected of him at the Pentagon. To the degree he has deviated from the Obama White House line, he's been more right than wrong (e.g., on the threat the Islamic State poses).

So why has he been fired? Because the Obama White House needs a scapegoat. President George W, Bush fired Don Rumsfeld in connection with a change in strategy (the surge) and to bring in someone of independent stature. That's not the case today. President Obama continues to want a Pentagon with weak leadership and little independence. There's therefore no reason to expect the next two years of Obama foreign and defense policy to be any better than the past two.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:01:12 pm »
National Journal ‏@nationaljournal 11s12 seconds ago

CBS reports Hagel was "fed up with micromanagement from the White House"
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:04:16 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/11/defense_secretary_hagel_fired.html

November 24, 2014
Defense Secretary Hagel fired
By Rick Moran

President Obama, seeking to deflect blame for his failed foreign policy, has asked Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel to resign.

In Washington-speak, that means he's been canned.

CNN:

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will step down from his position at the request of President Barack Obama, who is seeking to reassure critics of his foreign policy with the move, a senior administration official confirmed to CNN Monday.

The New York Times reported Monday that Obama is expected to appear in the Rose Garden on Monday to announce Hagel's resignation, having asked him to step down last Friday.

The move, White House officials told the Times, was meant to acknowledge that the new national security threats facing the nation — most notably the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria — call for different capabilities than those possessed by Hagel.

"The next couple of years will demand a different kind of focus," an administration official told the paper.

A critic of the Iraq war, Hagel was brought on to oversee withdrawal from Afghanistan and a smaller Pentagon budget than ever before.

Hagel wasn't fired, a White House official told the Times, but rather mutually agreed with the president that it was time for him to go. But Hagel's aides have said the Defense Secretary, the last remaining Republican on Obama's national security team, had planned to serve out his full four years in office.

Obama couldn't fire Kerry. He's a liberal Democrat who's very popular with Dems on the Hill. Hagel, on the other hand, had outgrown his usefulness. He had zero credibility with both Republican and Democratic lawmakers, making him the perfect fall guy for Obama's incompetence.

The world is going to hell largely because of a lack of American leadership on a wide vareity of issues. Obama should stop casting about for goats and look in a mirror to discover the reason for his failures.

Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:05:33 pm »
Obama is truly salting the ground for Democrats!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
Bet he replaces him with a lesbian.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »
Bet he replaces him with a lesbian.

A black lesbian.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 04:13:18 pm »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »

Smiling idiot...Hey Chuck tell us why you were fired instead of standing there like an Obama lacky
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »
Capital Journal ‏@WSJPolitics 24s25 seconds ago

Michèle Flournoy could replace Chuck Hagel and be the first female Secretary of Defense.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/11/24/who-will-succeed-hagel-three-potential-replacements-as-defense-secretary/?utm_content=buffer05c94&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 04:18:01 pm »
jon gabriel ‏@exjon 2h2 hours ago

SecDef prediction: Obama appoints Bowe Bergdahl.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm »
Is she a lesbian?

Don't know..does it matter?
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 04:24:02 pm »
Don't know..does it matter?

LOL! NO!

I was just making a feeble attempt at humor.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 04:24:53 pm »
"You said you'd always give me your honest advice... And that's why I'm firing you."'

Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro 2m2 minutes ago

According to President Obama, Chuck Hagel was beloved by the troops. This is less credible than the notion that Chuck Hagel is resigning.
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:07 pm »
jon gabriel ‏@exjon 2h2 hours ago

SecDef prediction: Obama appoints Bowe Bergdahl.

That there is PHUNNY I don't care who you are!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:22 pm »

A black lesbian.

Don't you mean a Hispanic lesbian?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 04:30:22 pm »
LOL! NO!

I was just making a feeble attempt at humor.

I got your humor Bigun - seems like everybody Obama appoints lately is a lesbian.  It's his new affirmative action program! 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:00 pm »
I got your humor Bigun - seems like everybody Obama appoints lately is a lesbian.  It's his new affirmative action program!

WHEW!

That was close! LOL!

The truth is Alice that I think O is about a half inch from going completely around the bend!  The guys with the white coat are on standby!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 04:43:55 pm »
WHEW!

That was close! LOL!

The truth is Alice that I think O is about a half inch from going completely around the bend!  The guys with the white coat are on standby!

I'd pay good money to see that!

Not only that, I'd sell tickets and charter a bus to see it!

:th_10444:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »
One idiot fires another.

So the first idiot can blame the second idiot for his own idiocy......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 04:59:31 pm »
You'd be hard-pressed to find one, attractive, heterosexual woman in any mid or high-level positions throughout his administration.

Susan Rice...Janet Napolitano...Sally Jewell...Jen Psaki...Julia Pierson....And those are front-liners.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/225173-mccain-hagel-was-very-very-frustrated

McCain: 'Hagel was very, very frustrated'

By Kristina Wong - 11/24/14 11:07 AM EST

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Monday that outgoing Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel was "very, very frustrated" as a member of the Obama Cabinet, after news broke that he was being forced to resigned.

"Already the White House people are leaking, 'Well he wasn't up to the job.' Believe me, he was up to the job," McCain said during a local news radio interview shortly after news broke that Hagel was being forced to resign.

"It was a job he was given where he never was really brought in to that real tight circle inside the White House that makes all the decisions, which has put us in the incredible debacle that we're in today throughout the world, so I thank Chuck Hagel for his service and I know that he was very, very frustrated," McCain said, adding that he spoke with Hagel Monday morning.

McCain did not say what frustrated Hagel, but indicated it was tied to the Obama administration's foreign policy on a number of issues, from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to Ukraine.

"They're going to say, 'Well, it was time for a change,' and all that, but I can tell you, he was in my office last week, and he was very frustrated. We have no strategy to combat ISIS, we have no way of helping the Ukrainians, we refuse to give them weapons to defend themselves, we watch the turmoil in the Far East with the Chinese asserting themselves, we see a lack of U.S. influence unlike -- unknown in history," he said.

McCain, a fierce critic of the administration's foreign policy, did not clarify whether those were specific concerns of Hagel's.

McCain also said that the Senate Armed Services Committee would be "carefully scrutinizing the nominee" to replace Hagel. McCain will become chairman of that panel in January.

"One thing we'll be demanding is a strategy in order to combat ISIS which is now a direct threat to the United States of America," he said.

McCain and Hagel, who served together in the Senate, were also combat veterans who both fought in the Vietnam War.

"We've had our disagreements, but Chuck Hagel is an honorable man," McCain said.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:32 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/225176-sen-reed-not-interested-in-defense-secretary-job

November 24, 2014, 11:23 am
Reed not interested in Defense Secretary job
By Peter Sullivan

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) is taking himself out of the running for Secretary of Defense, saying he wants to remain in the Senate.

“Senator Reed loves his job and wants to continue serving the people of Rhode Island in the United States senate,” Reed spokesman Chip Unruh told the Providence Journal. “He has made it very clear that he does not wish to be considered for secretary of defense or any other Cabinet position. He just asked the people of Rhode Island to hire him for another six-year term and plans to honor that commitment.”
Reed, whose name has been mentioned in the past as a possible Secretary of Defense, had been briefly floating after the announcement Monday that the current secretary, Chuck Hagel, is departing.

Reed served in the 82nd Airborne and taught at West Point. He is in line to become the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee in the new Congress.

He was easily reelected this year, and if he were to resign a special election would have to be held for his seat. The defense industry is an important part of the Rhode Island economy, as a home to submarine construction. 
Support the USO