Author Topic: Israel’s deputy FM hints at relinquishing parts of Jerusalem  (Read 514 times)

rangerrebew

Israel’s deputy FM hints at relinquishing parts of Jerusalem
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:17:40 am »

Israel’s deputy FM hints at relinquishing parts of Jerusalem

Under a deal with the Palestinians, a ‘creative solution’ can be found for city’s Arab neighborhoods, says Netanyahu loyalist Tzachi Hanegbi

By Times of Israel staff November 21, 2014, 11:05 pm 86

Israel’s deputy foreign minister intimated Friday that Israel would be prepared to cede sovereignty over Arab neighborhoods of East Jerusalem, which it annexed after capturing the area from Jordan in the 1967 war, as part of a permanent accord with the Palestinians.

Tzachi Hanegbi, a Likud party colleague and close confidant of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, was speaking three days after two Palestinian terrorists from one such neighborhood, Jabel Mukaber, killed four Jews at prayer and a traffic cop in an attack on a synagogue in the Har Nof neighborhood of west Jerusalem. East Jerusalem’s Arab residents generally have Israeli papers that enable them to travel freely about the city, although some checkpoints have been placed in Arab areas since Tuesday’s attack. 

Asked whether he would insist on retaining all East Jerusalem Arab neighborhoods if he were prime minister, Hanegbi told Israel’s Channel 2 TV that when his grandparents had prayed to Jerusalem decades ago, they were thinking of “the Western Wall and the Temple Mount, and not Issawiya” — an East Jerusalem Arab neighborhood.

“In a permanent accord, a creative solution can be found for the Arab neighborhoods,” he said.

Netanyahu has always insisted on retaining Israeli sovereignty throughout “united Jerusalem,” though one of his predecessors, Ehud Olmert, offered to divide the city into Israeli and Palestinian sovereign areas, and to relinquish sovereignty in the Old City in favor of a non-sovereign, multi-nation trusteeship. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who seeks control of East Jerusalem and the Old City as the capital of a Palestinian state, did not accept the Olmert offer.

Some Arab neighborhoods within the city limits are situated on the far side of the security barrier that Israel built in recent years to prevent suicide bombers entering Israel from the West Bank. An Army Radio random series of interviews with Knesset members this week underlined that many Israeli legislators have no idea where some of the city’s Arab neighborhoods are.

Jerusalem’s Mayor Nir Barkat earlier Friday spoke out against dividing the city. At the same time, he said he had not entered Shuafat refugee camp — an area particularly hostile to Israel that lies within Israel’s declared Jerusalem municipal borders, and from where a terrorist in another recent attack in Jerusalem set out. The solution was “not to run away” but to bolster security in the city, Barkat said.

On Wednesday, Israel’s President Reuven Rivlin said that over the decades since the 1967 war, Palestinian and Israeli life in the city have become intertwined, and both sides have no choice but to work together in order to advance peace and promote dialogue in the city.

“Jewish and Arab neighborhoods in Jerusalem are interlaced one with the other. We have passed the point of no return. We are now in a situation where we all live together. Building and dividing Jerusalem in an artificial manner will not help,” Rivlin said.

Rivlin added: “Palestinians who are not Israeli citizens and Arabs who are the citizens of Israel and the Palestinian residents of Jerusalem have to realize, we are meant to live together in this city.”

Channel 2 on Friday night showed figures indicating that, in 1967, the population of Jerusalem was 75% Jewish and 25% Arab, and in 2013 had shifted to 63% Jewish and 37% Arab.

Read more: Israel's deputy FM hints at relinquishing parts of Jerusalem | The Times of Israel http://www.timesofisrael.com/israels-deputy-fm-hints-at-relinquishing-parts-of-jerusalem/#ixzz3Jsxdlx6r
Follow us: @timesofisrael on Twitter | timesofisrael on Facebook

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Israel’s deputy FM hints at relinquishing parts of Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:40:59 am »
From the article:
[[ Israel’s deputy foreign minister intimated Friday that Israel would be prepared to cede sovereignty over Arab neighborhoods of East Jerusalem, which it annexed after capturing the area from Jordan in the 1967 war, as part of a permanent accord with the Palestinians. ]]

I just can't understand the Jews.

They never learn... never.

The Palestinians (a made-up name for a made-up people) aren't interested in "peace", and giving them a few areas of town isn't going to secure a peace now, or ever.

If the Israelis want peace in Jerusalem, the best way to get it would be to expel the Palestinians living there, and annex the entire city into Israel...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:43:55 am »
I'm so confused.  Netanyahu late last week was proclaiming Jerusalem is Israel's "eternal capital" and will never been given up.

Someone has got to tell Israel's political leadership that it really is okay to take a few deep breaths before responding to events--and even better to think things through.

Just my $2 cents.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:04:43 am »
I have struggled with what both of you guys have said for decades. And I can tell you first hand, there is no simple answer.

All the Liberal Jews we know and love in America, the Streisand types, they exist in Israel too. However, Liberalism in Israel is not nearly as bad today as it once was.

I could you some stories about literally insane Liberal Israelies in a group called Shalom Achshav (peace now) just plain lying about having 'partners in peace' on the Arab side, and the Arabs want peace as much as we do, etc. And it was all a fantasy in their minds. It was fiction that they created and they really, truly, believed that they could force, or make it real. It was crazy.

But look, Israel knows what they are doing. If they make a deal, it will be structured in a way that safeguards Israeli national interests. They are no fools. Well, most of them aren't. But I trust Bibi to do the right thing always.

Do not believe everything you read. There is more to this than we know.

All I can say is that you have to have faith in God, that he will protect and defend Israel. I do.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.