Author Topic: GOP leaders warn 'impeachment' is a dirty word  (Read 677 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP leaders warn 'impeachment' is a dirty word
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/republicans-immigration-impeachment-113027.html

GOP leaders warn 'impeachment' is a dirty word

Senior Republicans worry that party could misplay hand on Obama’s immigration action

By Manu Raju and Burgess Everett

11/19/14 2:10 PM EST

Updated 11/19/14 3:09 PM EST

Republican leaders, anticipating outrage from their base over President Barack Obama’s upcoming immigration move, have a message for their party: Don’t use the ‘I’ word.

Senior House and Senate Republicans don’t want their rank and file to even raise the specter of impeaching Obama, fearing it would give Democrats a message to rally around as the president’s party is split over the hugely controversial move. Ahead of the upcoming announcement, top congressional Republicans are trying to find the right balance between expressing outrage and overreaching, hoping that the battle doesn’t lead to either a government shutdown in December or calls among conservatives to impeach the president.

Texas Sen. John Cornyn, the incoming Senate majority whip, said Wednesday that the GOP response needs to be “appropriate” and measured.

“Nobody’s talking about the ‘I’ word like the White House and others,” Cornyn said. “They would love for us to take the bait. We’re not going to take the bait.”

“Impeachment and shutting the entire government down takes the focus away from him to us,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina. “There are some people in the conferences that will have their 15 minutes of fame over this. But the rest of us want a Republican Party that can compete across the board in 2016.”

Michael Steel, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner, had a similar response when asked about impeachment: “The speaker has said we have no current or future plans to go down that path.”

The discussion comes as Obama travels on Friday to Las Vegas, where he is expected to discuss the immigration move. Under plans being constructed by the White House, up to 5 million undocumented immigrants could be shielded from deportation. The White House says such action is necessary because Congress has not acted on a larger immigration bill and that it is within his bounds of his authority to prioritize immigration enforcement.

But Republicans, who view the move as an unconstitutional power grab, are still struggling with their legislative response. The most clear avenue is the government financing bill, which needs to pass by Dec. 11 to avoid the second shutdown in as many years. There’s debate within the GOP over several possible avenues, including splitting up an omnibus package to fund most of the government through next September but limit the funding of immigration policies in order to tie the president’s hands.

“Congress will be funding the government, but it doesn’t have to be everything the president wants,” said Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, a chief foe of comprehensive immigration legislation.

If a spending bill with restrictions on immigration passes the GOP House, it’s unlikely to win backing in the Senate, which is controlled by Democrats until January. So Republicans are considering passing a continuing resolution to keep the government afloat until mid-February and respond more forcefully then, when the GOP controls both houses of Congress.

Doing that, however, risks enraging conservatives who want a more muscular response right now.

“Instead of just talking about it, we need to do something to show the president that there are consequences to trying to do a run around the Constitution and Congress,” Cornyn added.

Republicans want to seize on the divisions within the Democratic Party over the move. Several moderate Democrats, including Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Heidi Heitkmap of North Dakota, as well Maine Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, criticized the president’s plans.

“I would encourage the president not to take that step until we’ve exhausted everything, to see if Boehner can give us a vote on something,” said Manchin, a former governor of West Virginia.

“The better course would be wait, see how the next Congress reacts,” Heitkamp said. “The president is the president, he’s going to make his decision, but I think the better course is to delay this a period of time and allow the Congress to do what they should do, which is deal with an issue of national importance.”

Added King: “I worry that his taking unilateral action could in fact inflame public opinion, change the subject from immigration to the president. I also have constitutional concerns about where prosecutorial discretion ends and unconstitutional executive authority begins.”

Still, it’s hardly clear that any of these disaffected moderates want Congress to either use the funding bill to tie Obama’s hands or take even more draconian actions against Obama. So Republicans argue they need to be careful in how they choose to respond to avoid pushing these Democrats onto the side of the president.

“Anybody who does that kind of talk right now will be considered pretty erratic and excessive,” said Utah’s Orrin Hatch, the longest-serving Senate Republican, when asked about impeachment. “Let’s face it: There’s no way that anybody with any kind of real experience would want to talk in those terms.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: GOP leaders warn 'impeachment' is a dirty word
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »
“Nobody’s talking about the ‘I’ word like the White House and others,” Cornyn said. “They would love for us to take the bait. We’re not going to take the bait.”

BULLSHIT.....he is breaking the law...it is as simple as that...what laws does he have to break before the Repubs step in and say that is enough...he's already committed treason by condoning terrorist activity in St. Louis...everyone just shrugs their shoulders.....call his bluff and issue articles of impeachment...

I don't care if we lose Congress and the WH in 16...we have to at least stop this tyrant..
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:47:38 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:45:02 pm »

Well then what ARE you going to do senator???

Us peons want to know!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:53 pm »
BULLSHIT.....he is breaking the law...it is as simple as that...what laws does he have to break before the Repubs step in and say that is enough...he's already committed treason by condoning terrorist activity in St. Louis...everyone just shrugs their shoulders.....call his bluff and issue articles of impeachment...

Yep, talking 'impeachment' before breaking the law and violating the Constitution is simply a pre-emptive strike designed to ward-off impeachment.

It's working...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:49 pm »

I don't care if we lose Congress and the WH in 16...we have to at least stop this tyrant..

:hands:   :patriot:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:44 pm »
There is nothing better for Obama's legacy, than taunting a few Republicans into making ill-advised, anti-Hispanic statements.

If there are not 67 Senate votes to convict, why go through the hassle, and suffer the downside?

(There are not 67 votes to convict)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 11:21:13 pm »
There is nothing better for Obama's legacy, than taunting a few Republicans into making ill-advised, anti-Hispanic statements.

If there are not 67 Senate votes to convict, why go through the hassle, and suffer the downside?

I know..I am just pissed beyond belief....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:22:07 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:02 am »
truth_seeker asks:
[[ If there are not 67 Senate votes to convict, why go through the hassle, and suffer the downside? ]]

There's no way to know "how many votes there are" until the trial begins and the evidence is presented.

Why go through "the hassle"?

Because even if we lose in the Senate, Obama will have to go down in history as being a president who was impeached in the House and tried in the Senate.

Add just a little bit o' "truth" to his "legacy"....

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:26 am »

Like Charlie Brown to Obama's Lucy.