Author Topic: GOP hires legal scholar to oversee Obama lawsuit  (Read 518 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP hires legal scholar to oversee Obama lawsuit
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/gop-lawsuit-jonathan-turley-112980.html

GOP hires legal scholar to oversee Obama lawsuit

By LAUREN FRENCH 11/18/14 9:36 AM EST

House Republicans have hired a noted constitutional lawyer to oversee a lawsuit against President Barack Obama for alleged executive overreach.

Jonathan Turley, a professor at The George Washington University, has argued in favor of the suit against Obama’s executive order delaying the employer mandate provision of Obamacare.

This is Republicans' third lawyer since the suit was initially passed in July. Two previous lawyers dropped the case and the House has yet to file the lawsuit in federal court.

“Professor Turley is a renowned legal scholar who agrees that President Obama has clearly overstepped his Constitutional authority,” said Michael Steel, a spokesperson for Speaker John Boehner said. “He is a natural choice to handle this lawsuit.”

Republicans argue that Obama overstepped when he delayed the provision in Obamacare that mandated That employers provide healthcare to their workers.

Democrats quickly criticized the selection.

“Even for $500-per-hour in taxpayer dollars, Speaker Boehner has had to scour Washington to find a lawyer willing to file this meritless lawsuit against the President,” said Drew Hammill, a spokesperson for Minority Leader Pelosi. “Now, he’s hired a TV personality for thislatest episode of his distraction and dysfunction.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: GOP hires legal scholar to oversee Obama lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »
I don't like Turley.  That said, I didn't know they've already had two lawyers walk on them.  I wonder who's been trying to undermine the lawsuit?  Somebody stepped on those previous lawyers, not a doubt in my mind.  Val?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:32:05 pm »
I don't like Turley.  That said, I didn't know they've already had two lawyers walk on them.  I wonder who's been trying to undermine the lawsuit?  Somebody stepped on those previous lawyers, not a doubt in my mind.  Val?

I doubt that!

I think it is more a case of the other lawyers realizing that they had very little chance of getting anywhere with a suit brought by one co-equal branch against another.

I personally think this whole thing is a complete waste of time and that the congress should focus on using the tools the founders explicitly gave them to use in resolving such matters!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:09:58 pm »
I doubt that!

I think it is more a case of the other lawyers realizing that they had very little chance of getting anywhere with a suit brought by one co-equal branch against another.

I personally think this whole thing is a complete waste of time and that the congress should focus on using the tools the founders explicitly gave them to use in resolving such matters!

Knowing there's a dead-end has never stopped a lawyer from collecting money to drive down that road, so I don't see any difference here.  The previous lawyers had nothing to lose by staying on and hitting the brick wall because they aren't politicians, they're hired guns. 

However, I happen to agree with you this is a dead-end, because the SCOTUS has been pretty consistent in refusing to referee battles between Congress and the Executive. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:58 pm »
I doubt that!

The saying "About like pissing up a rope" comes to mind.  They know what Constitutional remedy they have.  Do it or don't.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.