Author Topic: Barack Obama, the center of attention  (Read 2195 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Barack Obama, the center of attention
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:24:36 pm »
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/17/barack-obama-the-center-of-attention/?utm_source=hafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=haupdate

Barack Obama, the center of attention
POSTED AT 1:01 PM ON NOVEMBER 17, 2014 BY NOAH ROTHMAN

Even before the midterms, President Barack Obama was sending clumsy signals to his allies that the GOP would not long enjoy their ascendancy.

Members of his administration promised a “counter-attack” following their anticipated defeat. When the voters’ rebuke materialized, the president took to the stage in the White House to insist that he was “elected by everybody” while his political opponents enjoy the support of only one-third of the electorate. “They’re going to see Washington working better if this president has his way,” White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough smirked.

Obama has, with the aid of a political press enthralled by the tension and drama they have woven out of perfect stasis, managed to foster an air of anticipation. It permeates virtually every newscast and article that mentions this lame duck president. Fraught with expectancy, the words hang on broadcasters’ lips: “What will Obama do next?”

“We do know the administration has said it will do something,” CNN Washington correspondent Joe Johns said on Monday morning while standing outside of a lifeless White House facade. Obama has been threatening to spark what Ross Douthat fears will be a constitutional crisis when he unilaterally enacts portions of a failed Senate immigration bill to which he was partial. Johns observed that the nation’s collective anticipation is centered primarily on what actions the president plans to take on immigration.

“The question is, what will happen if the president does move forward on his executive action on immigration and what form will that action take?” Johns asked. “We’re all just going to have to wait right here at the White House and see.”

The potential power which Obama threatens to unleash on the nation is palpable even outside the nation’s capital. Ernesto Perez, the 44-year-old illegal immigrant who has lived in this country for nearly 20 years and has fathered four children here, is also excited for the prospect of unilateral action by Obama which could provide him with legal status, according to The San Jose Mercury News.

“Amid the anticipation of what Obama might do, there’s excitement but also fear about backlash over one of the most contentious issues of our time,” The Mercury News reported.

“My advice at this point to the Democrats, and to the president in particular, is: take a breath,” former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney advised when asked to preemptively weigh in on Obama’s still formative actions on immigration. One wonders why the president must be reminded to breathe – the man hasn’t moved.

Unsurprisingly, Obama is enjoying the renewed attention that he is receiving despite having been sapped of much of his political legitimacy on November 4. “If you ask me, I say that’s a pretty good week,” Obama said of his trips to a variety of Asia-Pacific nations. “I intend to build on that momentum when I return home”

Obama will act on immigration, but he hasn’t done so yet. To do so is to ignite a political war in Washington. The next stage of that conflict is one in which the president will play a decidedly more peripheral role. For a final, fleeting moment, Obama is still the center of the universe.

Immigration is not the only pressing issue supposedly on the president’s mind. Similarly, the Beltway press corps is consumed with suspense over what actions Obama will take on a variety of other vexing matters.

Facing a revolt among members of his own party in the Senate, does Obama veto the Keystone Pipeline in the unlikely prospect that it is approved by both chambers of Congress? What of the Affordable Care Act, which is enduring some renewed scrutiny amid falling approval ratings and the scandalous comments of one of the law’s architects? The November 24 deadline for nuclear negotiations with Iran is fast approaching. Will Obama approve of a deal which leaves the Islamic Republic a nuclear threshold state? What of the president’s approach to Syria and Iraq, where military commanders are now flirting with the need to topple a regime and reintroduce ground forces respectively?

Amid all the clamor, it’s worth remembering that these issues didn’t spring up last night. They have been sources of supposed frustration for this White House for months or even years, in some cases. In fact, given that voters elected to diminish the president’s stature appreciably this month, it serves Obama well to encourage the breathless speculation about his coming actions by maintaining his present indolent course. The question the press should begin asking, one which they will likely come around to before the end of the year, is what will Obama’s successor do about these issues and more?

In one of its final moments of relevance, the ancient and dying Austro-Hungarian Empire, cursed with ambition that well outstripped its faculties, made the world hold its breath. 100 years ago last summer, the inheritors of the Habsburg legacy determined the fates of those millions whose lives would later be lost in the war over a perceived Serbian insult to the dignity of Vienna. But once Austro-Hungary declared war, their time in the sun was over. The eyes of the world shifted onto greater forces which merited the attention and would determine the course of coming events. That spent power in Central Europe’s dying gasp was to ignite a great war, but that was the last contribution to history this terminally declining power could muster.

How much authority did that hollowed out state derive from the attention it was granted in July of 1914? How much power is Obama enjoying today as a result of a media granting him undue influence because it cannot yet abide Republican voices filling the vacuum of power left in the wake of the midterm elections? Yes, an American president has enormous powers and Obama will use them at some point, but he is enjoying every minute of the attention he is receiving for doing absolutely nothing.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Barack Obama, the center of attention
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »
I was reading an article in the NYT, and their take on it is, Obama has nothing left to lose.  The well is already poisoned, so why not go balls-to-the-walls on this and other issues?

It won't take many of these types of actions to get even me on the impeachment bandwagon.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56:50 pm »
I was reading an article in the NYT, and their take on it is, Obama has nothing left to lose.  The well is already poisoned, so why not go balls-to-the-walls on this and other issues?

It won't take many of these types of actions to get even me on the impeachment bandwagon.

goopo

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:58:56 pm »

Ah, my friend.

You'll come around sooner rather than later.   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:15:55 am »
Can Congress and the Supreme Court work in tandem to overrule an Executive Order?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:22:49 am »
Can Congress and the Supreme Court work in tandem to overrule an Executive Order?

Congress may appeal to the Supreme Court to determine that the Chief Executive has overstepped his bounds, by reference to the plain language of the Constitution that establishes, defines and regulates the powers of the governmental branch over which he sees.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:33 am »
Congress may appeal to the Supreme Court to determine that the Chief Executive has overstepped his bounds, by reference to the plain language of the Constitution that establishes, defines and regulates the powers of the governmental branch over which he sees.

53 years and I never needed to even think about that.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:37:38 am »
53 years and I never needed to even think about that.

56 years for me, and I have never known a President so determinedly lawless as this one. Even Nixon, whose offenses paled before this one's.

Nixon had a conscience. This one has only an ego. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 12:46:42 am »
56 years for me, and I have never known a President so determinedly lawless as this one. Even Nixon, whose offenses paled before this one's.

Nixon had a conscience. This one has only an ego.

66 years for me and nothing even close to this level of lawlessness!  Will ANYONE do anything about it?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:37 am »
66 years for me and nothing even close to this level of lawlessness!  Will ANYONE do anything about it?

Well, that's the original point of this debate here....will the Congress in tandem with the Supreme Court cut Obama's political balls off?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:17 am »

That's just it.  At some point, we've got to think long-term, for the good of the country - instead of short-term.  We cannot let this man turn our Constitution into toilet paper.  We owe that to future generations.  Playing into their games, cowering in fear of losing an election - not calling him out!  This is destroying America.

I understand that impeachment is a loser when it comes to letting the media and the Democrats paint us as racist haters - but then we are letting them define things and it keeps us on the defensive.  Surely, there are those in the GOP that are smart and cunning enough to play these jackals at their own game!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:28 am »
Well, that's the original point of this debate here....will the Congress in tandem with the Supreme Court cut Obama's political balls off?

They had better. Because the alternatives, as necessary to the preservation of ordered American liberty as they may prove to be, will not be pretty.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 01:27:59 am »
That's just it.  At some point, we've got to think long-term, for the good of the country - instead of short-term.  We cannot let this man turn our Constitution into toilet paper.  We owe that to future generations.  Playing into their games, cowering in fear of losing an election - not calling him out!  This is destroying America.

I understand that impeachment is a loser when it comes to letting the media and the Democrats paint us as racist haters - but then we are letting them define things and it keeps us on the defensive.  Surely, there are those in the GOP that are smart and cunning enough to play these jackals at their own game!

Whatever our side does or does not do will be just as much a part of the precedent setting as what Obama does!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:28:54 am »

SCOTUS won't do a damned thing.  I've seen them, in the past half-dozen years, dismiss all kinds of cases to try and reel in this lawless President.  They simply refuse to get involved in any pissing contests between Congress and the Executive.

I have a feeling I know what it's going to take, but I refuse to utter it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 01:35:17 am »
SCOTUS won't do a damned thing.  I've seen them, in the past half-dozen years, dismiss all kinds of cases to try and reel in this lawless President.  They simply refuse to get involved in any pissing contests between Congress and the Executive.

I have a feeling I know what it's going to take, but I refuse to utter it.

:beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 02:10:37 am »

I'm sorry to say it's not what you think.   :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 02:15:18 am »

I'm sorry to say it's not what you think.   :whistle:

How do you know what I think it is?  :facepalm:

It doesn't begin with "I"!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 02:27:52 am »
How do you know what I think it is?  :facepalm:

It doesn't begin with "I"!

Just a wild guess, old friend.    No, it doesn't.  And I'm afraid it will come to it, and we'll all be blamed. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 02:32:03 am »
Just a wild guess, old friend.    No, it doesn't.  And I'm afraid it will come to it, and we'll all be blamed.

I swear that I would do the Tea Berry Shuffle on the sidewalk right in front of the White House!  And take my first selfie.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:03 am »
I heard someone say today they thought Obama wants a "national Ferguson". 

I actually can see that.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 04:24:51 am »
Ah, my friend.

You'll come around sooner rather than later.   :beer:

I would be overjoyed to see Obama impeached.  I think it could happen if Obama's approval polls get down to the high to mid twenties and the pollsters start asking "Should the President be impeached?".  When the people start demanding his impeachment the Congress should impeach, until then, there is a lot of other work to be done.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:08 pm »
I heard someone say today they thought Obama wants a "national Ferguson". 

I actually can see that.

The Germans released Lenin from prison and put him on a train to Moscow because they thought it would help them.  We see how that turned out.  When you release the dogs of war, you better damn straight hope they don't come back and bite you on the ass.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:36 pm »
I've been trying to come up with some keywords for this article.

Delusional, chutzpah, head fake, la la la la la, empty suit – empty threat, "I know you are but what am I" come to mind.

Any others?

Come on, play along, what else have you got to do to waste time besides reading a tripe story about a tripe president?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 02:19:56 pm »
I've been trying to come up with some keywords for this article.

Delusional, chutzpah, head fake, la la la la la, empty suit – empty threat, "I know you are but what am I" come to mind.

Any others?

Come on, play along, what else have you got to do to waste time besides reading a tripe story about a tripe president?

Dick-Tater, BonyAssedFraud, Unimpeachable, Lyin Liar that Lies, Rosemary's Baby, Mrs. Reggie Love, Butt Fugly Folkmeister........

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 02:27:16 pm »
Dick-Tater, BonyAssedFraud, Unimpeachable, Lyin Liar that Lies, Rosemary's Baby, Mrs. Reggie Love, Butt Fugly Folkmeister........

That's the spirit! Feels good, don't it?

Waiting in anticipation for 2016 feels a little like waiting for UPS to deliver my iPhone 6! I CAN'T WAIT!!!