Author Topic: ObamaCare architect: I regret 'stupidity' of voter comment  (Read 1071 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
ObamaCare architect: I regret 'stupidity' of voter comment
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:22 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/223658-obamacare-architect-i-regret-stupidity-of-the-american-voter-comment

By Elise Viebeck - 11/11/14 01:48 PM EST

An architect of ObamaCare on Tuesday said he regretted his 2013 comment that a "lack of transparency" and the "stupidity of the American voter" helped Congress pass the healthcare law.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Jonathan Gruber made his first public comments on MSNBC after conservative media unearthed a video clip over the weekend of him discussing the healthcare law.
"The comments in the video were made at an academic conference," Gruber said on "Ronan Farrow Daily." "I was speaking off the cuff. I basically spoke inappropriately. I regret having made those comments."

Gruber was speaking on a panel last year when he suggested that ObamaCare passed because lawmakers and voters did not understand how its financing worked.

"Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage,” Gruber said at the time. "And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass."

Gruber also said that ObamaCare was written in a "tortured way" to avoid a bad score from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). And he suggested that voters would have rejected the law if penalties for being uninsured were interpreted as a tax.

"If CBO scored the [individual] mandate as taxes, the bill dies," Gruber said.

"If you had a law that made it explicit that healthy people are going to pay in and sick people are going to get subsidies, it would not have passed," he added.

The clip is generating significant attention on the right.

On Tuesday, Gruber said he only meant that much of ObamaCare's financing was done through the tax code, calling that more "politically palatable" than other means.

"That was the only point I was making," he said.

A consultant on both the federal and Massachusetts healthcare reform laws, Gruber also predicted that 2015 exchange enrollments will exceed the administration's target of 9.1 million.

"The administration is being conservative," he said. "I believe the number is likely to be higher than that."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Millee

Re: ObamaCare architect: I regret 'stupidity' of voter comment
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »
He made his apology on a show where about 8-people could hear it.  BFD.   :whistle:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:41:02 pm »
He's not saying that the statements were untrue, or that he didn't mean what he said.

He just regrets having said it out loud in a room with people.

Non-apology apology.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:44:28 pm »
Regardless of what Mr. Gruber said, we shouldn't lose sight of the two-dozen plus times Barack Obama deliberately lied his a$$ off, touting the 'benefits' of Obamacare.

Also...why is something that's been around since October, 2013 suddenly the biggest breaking news more than a year later.  All the while Obama is out of the country selling out America.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:22:10 pm »
Regardless of what Mr. Gruber said, we shouldn't lose sight of the two-dozen plus times Barack Obama deliberately lied his a$$ off, touting the 'benefits' of Obamacare.

Also...why is something that's been around since October, 2013 suddenly the biggest breaking news more than a year later.  All the while Obama is out of the country selling out America.

I question the timing of this coming out now (conservative media unearthed?) - and like you said DC - Obama is over in China doing God-knows-what to America while we're all fascinated by the latest "squirrel".

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »
Why apologize? It was that stupidity of the American voter that got Obama elected—twice.

It is the truth.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:23 pm »
Why apologize? It was that stupidity of the American voter that got Obama elected—twice.

It is the truth.

Exactly.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »
Megyn Kelley has him on video saying basically the same thing a second time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Hcu1S2GKf0

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan