Author Topic: New Iranian Law Proposes 74 Lashes for Dog Owners  (Read 436 times)

rangerrebew

New Iranian Law Proposes 74 Lashes for Dog Owners
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:24:45 pm »
Published on Clarion Project (http://www.clarionproject.org)

A new law proposed in Iran would make walking, owning or selling a dog a crime punishable by 74 lashes and a fine of 10 to 100 million rials ($370 to $3,700). Violators could also be arrested.

Although the bill was proposed by 32 hardline MPs, many of 290 members of Iran’s Majles (parliament) are conservatives who sympathize with the hardliners.

The target of the bill appears to be young people as well as wealthy Iranians who are drawn to imitate Western culture. Even though coming into contact with dogs (especially the mucous membranes) is considered najis (unclean) in Islamic law, dogs are kept as pets by some Iranians.  Most owners keep their dogs inside, but some – from the more affluent neighborhoods – can be seen walking their dogs outside, raising the ire of the Iranian morality police.

The legislation, reported in the reformist newspaper Shargh, reads in part, “Anyone who takes a pet like a monkey or a dog in public ... damages the Islamic culture.” The legislation also warned that such animals damage “the health and tranquility of the people - particularly children and women.”

According to the new legislation, the animals would be confiscated and sent to a zoo, forest or desert. Dogs used by police, hunters, shepherds, farmers and fishermen are exempt from the legislation.

A similar bill was introduced to the parliament three years ago, but was dropped by MPs after concluded that more important laws were on their agenda.

However, Iranian morality police currently stop dog owners and either warn them or confiscate their animals.General Esmail Ahmadi Moghaddam said two years ago that his force would "deal w tithhose w Iran’s police chief ho carry dogs in public."   

Copyright © 2013 Clarion Project, Inc. All rights reserved.

Source URL: http://www.clarionproject.org/news/new-iranian-law-proposes-74-lashes-dog-owners

Offline olde north church

Re: New Iranian Law Proposes 74 Lashes for Dog Owners
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:07 pm »
Published on Clarion Project (http://www.clarionproject.org)

A similar bill was introduced to the parliament three years ago, but was dropped by MPs after concluded that more important laws were on their agenda.

Copyright © 2013 Clarion Project, Inc. All rights reserved.

Source URL: http://www.clarionproject.org/news/new-iranian-law-proposes-74-lashes-dog-owners

Just "WOW!".  Why don't American politicians ever do that?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:39:57 pm »
Just "WOW!".  Why don't American politicians ever do that?

Uh....they obviously did, ONC.

Obama had the opportunity to pass Immigration Reform in 2009-2010 and chose Obamacare instead.

They spent too much time spiking the football in the end zone and celebrating.

But getting back OT....it's too bad Iranians don't grab this guy and administer 74 lashes to him.  No wonder Iranians in general seem to have cold dark hearts...never knowing the joy a dog can bring to one's life.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:26:01 pm »

Obama had the opportunity to pass Immigration Reform in 2009-2010 and chose Obamacare instead.

But getting back OT....it's too bad Iranians don't grab this guy and administer 74 lashes to him.  No wonder Iranians in general seem to have cold dark hearts...never knowing the joy a dog can bring to one's life.

Just my take on it, but I always trust my dog's opinion of people.  If dogs like a person - then they're OK in my book.  Vice versa - if my dog doesn't like someone, I know there's a good reason.

Maybe they don't like dogs, because dogs can see into their souls and dogs don't like them.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 04:29:19 pm »

Living in NJ, there is no law too ridiculous.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.