• Boiling Frogs
Bucket
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:37:00 am »
Bucket
By Luis Gonzalez
BoilingFrogs

Life is short.

That’s a difficult thing to say.

It’s rarely said by anyone in their twenties, their thirties, or even their forties.

Then one day some errant thought strikes you.

Or maybe you’re forced to deal with the death of a loved one, a contemporary, or a friend.

Maybe even just someone that you used to know.

Then you say it.

Life is short.

And the moment that the words are said, everything changes.

There’s a certain uniqueness to time which makes memories of your youth strikingly clear and fresh, yet at the same time distant, with the strange quality of seeming as if the things that you recall happened to someone else.

Was I ever that young?

I must have been…I have pictures.

How is it possible that so much time passed so quickly, yet everything seem to have happened so long ago?

Will the time still ahead, move with the same consistency as the time behind?

Will the memories yet to be made match the quality of the ones already held?

Questions that require an answer to be sure.

I’ll tell you how this whole thing started with me.

I was hanging around in one of those Internet groups where aging friends and complete strangers who share geographical (though not necessarily chronological) commonalities get together and try to recall every nook, cranny, and memory of the place where they grew up.

We had run out of nooks and crannies, and the posts were slowing down, when someone asked what at the surface would appear to be a harmless question…”what is on everyone’s bucket list?”

A bucket list?

What in the Hell were they talking about on that thread?

I didn’t have a bucket list!

I’m not old enough to have a bucket list!

Good Lord, I am only…

I am…

I…

Life is short.

I panicked.

Everyone else had a bucket list; they were prepared. They had given this some thought while I had apparently been just cruising along on the Express Lane of life, not thinking about the future.

So I sat down to write one.

I couldn’t come up with a damned thing, and panic sets in again.

So I read all the other lists: trips to Hawaii, cruises to Alaska and the Mediterranean, skydiving… are they SERIOUS?

Casting your aging body out of a perfectly good airplane is a line item on a bucket list?

So I started writing again.

Alaska cruise: listed.

Trip to Spain: listed.

Owning a ’67 Mustang convertible: listed.

Chin tuck: listed.

Skydiving: listed.

Rocky mountain climbing: listed.

Going 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fu Manchu: listed.

WHAT IN THE HELL?

I was quoting country western song lyrics!

That was so wrong.

So I looked into my bucket and I saw a bucket filled to the rim with vacuous desires, yet utterly empty.

I had no bucket list.

All I had was a bucket.

I had to think.

It’s been three three months since that day, it’s taken me that long to write this, three months to the day that I read that question in that forum. And I know that I am not writing it as well as I should, but I am writing it as best as I am able to.

I’m writing this because I’ve just figured out how to fill my bucket.

I’m writing this because I have seen friends and family come face-to-face with their mortality, and people that I used to know move on to the next phase of existence, whatever that phase may be.

I’m writing this because I need to get these thoughts into words, and the words out of me…and that’s the first thing in my bucket.

This is the first thing in my bucket.

This is also the last thing I’ll place in my bucket, or at least the last self-serving wish in my bucket.

I now know what to do with my bucket.

I’ll go on that Alaskan cruise, because my wife wants to go, and because I owe it to her, not because I want to check off a line item on a list.

And even if I find a ’67 Mustang convertible on sale I won’t buy it because the maintenance would be a pain in the ass, and ’67 convertible Mustangs had no A/C.

I live in South Florida, and having no A/C isn’t an option for aging men trying to recapture their youth by driving with their top down on I-95 on a blistering summer day.

I’m not jumping out of an airplane in flight, I am NOT climbing the Rockies, and I will most certainly NOT climb on a bull, even one named Fu Manchu.

I am handing my bucket off.

That’s what I want to do with my bucket.

I am handing it to the people I love the most in this world, and I am going to ask them to fill it for me.

In that bucket, I want them to place everything that they will ever want from me.

Everything that a wife could want from her husband.

Everything that my sons will want from their father.

Everything that a brother could want from his brother.

Everything that my parents could want from their son.

I want them to fill that bucket up with their expectations.

“Be the first sight I see every morning until no more mornings come.”

“Be there for me when I need advice on my children.”

“Be strong when I am hurt, be soft when I’m angry.”

“Help me buy my first house, name my first child, mend my first broken heart.”

“Be there for your father.”

“Be there for your mother.”

“Be there…always.”

Their wishes, not mine.

I want a list of their wishes for me to fulfill.

So, there it is, I really didn’t need a bucket list.

I just needed a bucket.

A bucket that those I love most could fill to the brim with their hopes, their love, their dreams, their fears, and their expectations.

Just a bucket.

And suddenly, the times to come are so much more alive than the ones behind.

My bucket is going to be so full.

Life is good.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:14:33 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Bucket
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:10 am »
I love that Luis.  We must be about the same age, 'cause I've been having the same questions.  When you realize how short life really is, you really have to prioritize what's most important.

Thanks for posting that.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »
Beautiful.  And scary.

Thank you, Luis.

I'm 'normal' after all.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:30 pm »
Beautiful.  And scary.

Thank you, Luis.

I'm 'normal' after all.    :laugh:

Who knew?   :tongue2:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:15:32 pm »
Who knew?   :tongue2:

LOL!   

It IS remarkable....have been having all  those thoughts this past year.

Also...that all my siblings have left our hometown and spread across the country.  Their respective offspring even more so.

Realize I haven't been to my parents' grave sites in decades.   Lucky if I could find them without assistance.

Oh well....enough morbidity for a chilly Monday morning.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »
LOL!   

It IS remarkable....have been having all  those thoughts this past year.

Also...that all my siblings have left our hometown and spread across the country.  Their respective offspring even more so.

Realize I haven't been to my parents' grave sites in decades.   Lucky if I could find them without assistance.

Oh well....enough morbidity for a chilly Monday morning.     :laugh:

Sounds like we're both normal.    :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:22:29 pm »
My oldest daughter is 30.

Four days ago I got a call from her boyfriend — the boy with whom she bought a house and has been living with for six years.

"I just wanted you to be the first to know, come Sunday, I'm asking Elaina to marry me."

I wept with joy. She's will be the first of my three girls to marry. He's a great guy, and he's marrying a wonderful woman.

I felt somehow this vignette fit here -- in the bucket.  ^-^

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »

Four days ago I got a call from her boyfriend — the boy with whom she bought a house and has been living with for six years.

"I just wanted you to be the first to know, come Sunday, I'm asking Elaina to marry me."

I wept with joy. She's will be the first of my three girls to marry. He's a great guy, and he's marrying a wonderful woman.

Oh it absolutely does,

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:26:35 pm »

Congratulations Sal!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 01:39:57 pm »
Oh it absolutely does,

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Luis. It was a wonderful piece you wrote. Very touching.

As we approach later life, for some of us, memories are the only thing we have to hold onto. Divorce, our children relocate, then suddenly we're alone.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:40:42 pm by aligncare »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 02:28:31 pm »

Beautiful, Sal!  Congratulations!

btw....what kind of Italian name is Elaina?  {{{just kidding}}}

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:02 pm »
Beautiful, Sal!  Congratulations!

btw....what kind of Italian name is Elaina?  {{{just kidding}}}

Thank you for the kind regards, all.

Well, DC, her name does have a vowel at the end.   :laugh:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »
My bucket list? Get to Mongolia [birthplace of Chingghis Quan], visit the Little Big Horn, put a wreathe on Rommel's grave, tour Normandy where my Dad fought, write a novel.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 06:38:06 pm »
I have only two things on my "bucket list:" to get married and have at least one child.

Everything else, to me, is pure entertainment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 01:03:12 am »
You know what, Luis?  I've been hearing about this "bucket list" crap for years.  The only item I can manage is to make the list, and I've failed.  I am just happy to be alive with my baby and doing stuff.   I'm confident I'll do what needs doing before I kick it.

Your concept of a bucket list is the best I've ever heard, Miss Slippy agrees.  We're adopting it as our own.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:25 pm »
Luis...

Perfect. 

Thank you.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck