Author Topic: ‘Negro’ is an acceptable term for black soldiers, U.S. Army says  (Read 1396 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/negro-acceptable-term-soldiers-u-s-army-article-1.2000759

‘Negro’ is an acceptable term for black soldiers, U.S. Army says
Color it a confusing command update. One military official says using the word to describe ‘a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa’ might be for people who prefer to refer to themselves this way. But another calls it ‘the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.’
BY Ginger Adams Otis

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

What year is it again?

Army regulations still allow for black soldiers to be labeled Negro — a term that faded in the late 1960s.

The archaic policy was spelled out as recently as Oct. 22, when the Army issued an update to some of its command procedures. But the review failed to strike the term from its books.

Negro is an acceptable classification for “a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa,” according to section 6-2 of the Army’s AR 600–20 regulations.

The same clause — part of the Army’s equal opportunity policy — also gives the OK to use “Haitian” in addition to the more common black or African-American.

The Army said it didn’t know how long the paragraph had been in its directives. It could stretch back decades.

A spokesman said Wednesday that a change was already in the works.

“The racial definitions in AR600-20 . . . are outdated, currently under review, and will be updated shortly,” Lt. Col. Alayne Conway said.

“The Army takes pride in sustaining a culture where all personnel are treated with dignity and respect and not discriminated against based on race, color, religion, gender and national origin,” Conway added.

The Army regulation sparked outrage on Twitter.

“Sigh ... Because what could go wrong?” asked a user identified as Matthew Evanisko, in response to a headline that said the Army was “OK” calling black soldiers Negroes.

“Say what!? One GIANT step backwards for mankind,” tweeted an outraged Fee Khan.

“We said turn clocks back an hr. Not a century,” added Kay Dogon.

South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, a black Republican, said Wednesday he plans to ask the Army about the policy.

An official familiar with the AR600-20 told CNN that “Negro” might still be included for blacks who wished to identify themselves that way. But a second military officer said acknowledging the term was “the dumbest thing I have ever heard,” according to CNN.

Some older black Americans still self-identify with the word 'Negro,' according to Census officials.

Negro was not a classification used in any of the data collected by Pentagon officials for military and personnel purposes, the initial source said.

One ex-soldier who served for 21 years and saw combat in Vietnam said he was classified as a “Negro” when he joined the Army as a teen in 1954.

“Didn’t bother me then, doesn’t bother me now. I wasn’t always treated with respect, but you got to look forward, not back, and you can’t pay ignorance any mind,” Bishop Leon McClain, a member of the National Association for Black Veterans, told the Daily News.

“If Martin Luther King associated himself with the Negro race, it’s all right with me,” he added. “But we’re not going back to working in any cotton fields, I can tell you that.”

While Martin Luther King Jr. used the term in his famous “I Have a Dream” speech in 1963, the term was generally phased out of everyday language and most official documents during the 1960s and the civil rights movement.

Still, the U.S. Census Bureau keeps the word “Negro” on its forms, alongside black and African-American. Census officials said some older black Americans still self-identify with the term.

About 21% of active-duty members of the Army are black, according to Defense Power Research.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 6:30 PM
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: ‘Negro’ is an acceptable term for black soldiers, U.S. Army says
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 02:38:07 am »
How about this: we have two classifications:  American, and non-American.  Seems to me that's all we really need.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:08:18 am »
How about this: we have two classifications:  American, and non-American.  Seems to me that's all we really need.
Indeed. My gosh, we waste so much time and effort classifying people. I was completing an online survey earlier and the list of ethnicities/races/whatever went on forever. Enough.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

SPQR

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:54:11 am »
I think that this a bigoted and racist term.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:54:35 am by Trigger »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 05:23:13 am »
Some facts and history for the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 05:25:34 am »
I dare any white person to go to any black neighborhood and start casually using that term.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 05:34:54 am »
I dare any white person to go to any black neighborhood and start casually using that term.
I would be comfortable talking with reasonable blacks about the Negro baseball and basketball leagues, about Negro spiritual music, etc.

Did you read the Wiki page?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 05:44:18 am »
I would be comfortable talking with reasonable blacks about the Negro baseball and basketball leagues, about Negro spiritual music, etc.

Did you read the Wiki page?

I did.Fortunately finding a reasonable person is difficult to find. I bet you would not last one second saying that word in South Central Los Angeles ,Harlem or Fergeson with your teeth intact .In other words, they will slap the white from your teeth, using their slang.You need to choose your words very carefully knowing many African Americans over the years. Its ok for them to say it among their friends or each other but not other people outside their race.Choose any person on the street in those neighborhoods and say it. I want to videotape it and put their response online. And I double dog dare you on that.  It maybe ok among your general set of friends but not in the general public, especially African American teenagers who already have a chip on their shoulder. It still pretty negative.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:12:46 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 06:04:22 am »
I did.Fortunately finding a reasonable person is difficult to find. I bet you would not last one second saying that word in South Central Los Angeles ,Harlem or Fergeson with your teeth intact .In other words, they will slap the white from your teeth,using their slang.You need to choose your words very carefully knowing many African Americans over the years. Its ok for them to say it among their friends or each other but not other people outside their race.. Choose any person on the street in those neighborhoods and say it. I want to videotape it and put their response online. And I double dog dare you on that.  It maybe ok among your general set of friends but not in the general public, especially African American teenagers who already have a chip on their shoulder .Its still pretty negative

You forgot this part.
The word "Negro" is used in the English-speaking world to refer to a person of black ancestry or appearance. Negro denotes "black" in Spanish and Portuguese, derived from the ancient Latin word, niger, "black", which itself is probably from a Proto-Indo-European root *nekw-, "to be dark", akin to *nokw-, "night.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:15:59 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 10:21:08 am »
If anyone wants to know how the "N" word is used I suggest watching very carefully the film "Mississippi Burning" by  Alan Parker. Especially the scenes how the KKK members in that film use it as a negative pejorative
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:23:19 am by Trigger »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 12:49:47 pm »
I think we're all well aware that "persons of color" in this country (not sure which term to use without being offensive or inaccurate) find the use of the so-called n-word offensive when uttered by persons of, well, a lighter color. But thanks for the advisory.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
I think we're all well aware that "persons of color" in this country (not sure which term to use without being offensive or inaccurate) find the use of the so-called n-word offensive when uttered by persons of, well, a lighter color. But thanks for the advisory.

Sometimes you need to remind them