Author Topic: New York's highest court OK's marriages between half-uncles and half-nieces  (Read 7018 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/new-york-highest-court-marriages-half-uncles-half-nieces-blog-entry-1.1990001?cid=bitly

by Glenn Blain
October 28, 2014

In a unanimous ruling, the Court of Appeals found that New York’s Domestic Relations Law does not consider marriages where the husband is the half-brother of the wife’s mother to be incestuous.

“First cousins are allowed to marry in New York and I conclude that that it was not the Legislature’s purpose to avert the similar, relatively small genetic risk inherent in relationships like this one,” Judge Robert Smith, a Republican, wrote in an opinion that was joined by two other judges on the court.

The ruling stems from a federal immigration case in Rochester that involved the marriage of a then-19-year-old woman, Huyen Nguyen, in 2000. The woman was a citizen of Vietnam and married her 24-year-old half uncle, Vu Truong, who was a United States citizen.

The bride’s grandmother – Nguyen Thi Ba – was also Vu Truong’s mother. Vu Truong, however, had a different father than the bride’s mother.

A federal immigration judge later ruled that the marriage was bogus and ordered the bride removed from the country. A federal appeals court, however, asked New York’s highest court to decide whether such marriages were, in fact, legal in the state.

New York’s highest court found that while marriages between uncles and nieces or aunts and nephews are illegal under state law, there’s no prohibition on relations between half-blooded uncles and nieces and aunts and nephews.

Judge Victoria Graffeo, in an opinion that was joined by two other judges, agreed that there was no prohibition but suggested the state Legislature may want to revisit the issue.

“Such relationships could implicate one of the purposes underlying incest laws, i.e., ‘maintaining the stability of the family hierarchy by protecting young family members from exploitation by older family members in positions of authority, and by reducing competition and jealous friction among family members,’” Graffeo wrote.

Full decision at link.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

Here we go.....

Pandora's box, part 1.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

"Brothers and sisters on deck!"  "Parents and children get ready, you're up after them !"  "People and your animals start warming up!" >:D

Offline olde north church

Here we go.....

Pandora's box, part 1.

It's really nothing new though.  1st cousins can get married in about 37 states, unless there's been a change in the past few years.  It's remarkable though.  "Uncle" chimpanzees will not mate with "nieces".  The will jump on a bug if it stays still long enough.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

It's really nothing new though.  1st cousins can get married in about 37 states, unless there's been a change in the past few years.  It's remarkable though.  "Uncle" chimpanzees will not mate with "nieces".  The will jump on a bug if it stays still long enough.

Leftist state testing the waters.  More will happen soon.

Eventually, we'll be like Great Britain, and a woman will be allowed to marry her dog....   :shrug:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline olde north church

Leftist state testing the waters.  More will happen soon.

Eventually, we'll be like Great Britain, and a woman will be allowed to marry her dog....   :shrug:

So, you're going to prohibit marriage between 1st cousins now?  Kentucky and Tennessee will despise you!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

So, you're going to prohibit marriage between 1st cousins now?  Kentucky and Tennessee will despise you!

You forgot West Virginia.  ^-^

Seriously.... I am not going to 'prohibit' anything.  I'm just stating my opinion that this is a test case for NY, and that they will go much farther than 1st cousins as they begin legalizing adult consenting incest.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Here we go.....

Pandora's box, part 1.
And here we were, thinking all this time it was the polygamists that were next in line.

It's sad, how obvious of a sham of a marriage this is, that you can find a judge that will rule your way in just about any situation if you look hard enough.

Offline mountaineer

You forgot West Virginia.  ^-^
Ahem!  I'm sure we could confine this discussion to Kentucky and Tennessee!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Ahem!  I'm sure we could confine this discussion to Kentucky and Tennessee!

HA!  I thought you might come out and comment on that one. 

I was actually thinking of you and chortling when I typed that, neighbor.   :beer:

Offline mountaineer

I know, we hillbillies are accustomed to the mockery!   ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

I know, we hillbillies are accustomed to the mockery!   ^-^

My husband has Kentucky roots, and says he descended from "brar-hoppers" (AKA "briar-hoppers").

I tease him LOTS.  :laugh:

Offline MACVSOG68

Back during the good old days about 50+ years ago when morality was so good, Jerry Lee Lewis ran off and married his 12-13 year old first cousin.  During his career he married six more times.  All legal.  When morality was so much better.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline musiclady

Back during the good old days about 50+ years ago when morality was so good, Jerry Lee Lewis ran off and married his 12-13 year old first cousin.  During his career he married six more times.  All legal.  When morality was so much better.

Oy.  NO one said that everyone used to be moral.

Gimme a break, MAC.  You're reaching.....................really far.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

How about during my boyhood, when our married pastor ran off with my father's married secretary?

Or US House rep. John Schmitz, who was for awhile the darling of "conservatism" turned out to be a scoundrel? (and self-identified devout Catholic) The John Birch Society ousted him for being too extreme !!

It turned out he has two children outside his marriage, but refused to support them. And his daughter was Mary Kay Letourneau !! Child molester.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
My paternal grandfather's younger brother married my mother's older sister.

Now, go draw my family tree.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
My paternal grandfather's younger brother married my mother's older sister.

Now, go draw my family tree.

That was common with my grandparents too.  They basically lived in isolation for generations up in the Kentucky hills.  So yeah, my family tree is pretty much a sweet potato vine. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
That was common with my grandparents too.  They basically lived in isolation for generations up in the Kentucky hills.  So yeah, my family tree is pretty much a sweet potato vine.

We also have a number of married first cousins. We came from very small towns (if they could be called that) in Cuba.

Thank God THAT tradition seems to have died out.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:59:14 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

We also have a number of married first cousins. We came from very small towns (if they could be called that) in Cuba.

Thank God THAT tradition seems to have died out.

No kidding!  My parent's generation - plus WWII - started moving away for better opportunities.  I still have some people up there though.  Whenever I talk to my cousin - I am struck that he is related to almost everyone in his town!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

This is where I was born. This was considered "town" to the family that lived in the country side.

I used to go visit my family out on the country. Their places looked very much like this:

This was probably our last visit before we left the country. That's me acting the tough guy with a knife. I always carried one out there.

Offline alicewonders

This is where I was born. This was considered "town" to the family that lived in the country side.

I used to go visit my family out on the country. Their places looked very much like this:

This was probably our last visit before we left the country. That's me acting the tough guy with a knife. I always carried one out there.

I love those pictures Luis!

This is my great-grandmother and my great-great-grandfather - 1939.  The three boys are my father (the littlest) and his two brothers. 

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
False. His "career" crashed and burned when he pulled that stunt because everyone knew it was wrong. Heck, his whole family turned out to be corrupt (see also: his cousin Jimmy Swaggart).

As opposed to today, when "everything is permissible" (to quote a line from 1 Corinthians)!

Offline MACVSOG68

Good morning Musiclady.  I recall a couple of threads where the argument against same-sex marriage was the slippery slope,  and the earlier comment here about Pandora's Box.  It's actually been open for a long time.

Offline MACVSOG68

False. His "career" crashed and burned when he pulled that stunt because everyone knew it was wrong. Heck, his whole family turned out to be corrupt (see also: his cousin Jimmy Swaggart).

As opposed to today, when "everything is permissible" (to quote a line from 1 Corinthians)!

It actually stalled during an English tour.  He continued performing though for the next six decades.  The point is such things were not uncommon and were legal.  As old as he is, he's still around, still performing.  Back in those days, we knew what was going on, we just didn't want to read about it in the news.  Did that make us any more moral?  Doubt it.  Needless to say, laws today on marriage are tighter than back then.  Forced and arranged marriages today aren't what they were during earlier moral times. 

Offline musiclady

Good morning Musiclady.  I recall a couple of threads where the argument against same-sex marriage was the slippery slope,  and the earlier comment here about Pandora's Box.  It's actually been open for a long time.

Your responses only indicate that you misunderstood what was being said on those threads.

I stand by everything I actually said regarding the coming efforts to legalize other forms of aberrant behavior, and the gate's having been opened by normalizing and legalizing homosexual 'marriage.'

There was a societal understanding that marriage was between a man and woman.  There was a societal more against having children without marriage.  There was a societal understanding that polygamy and incest of close family members (not cousins) was wrong.

That has been shattered now.

That doesn't mean that everyone behaved morally before the sexual revolution, and it would be stupid to even posit such a point of view.  Especially for one who believes in original sin, and that Scripture, including the Old Testament is God's inspired word.

So any time you try to mock the idea that American society once stood for sexual morality and now does not (regardless of the behavior of individuals), remember that you are once again, missing the entire point.