Author Topic: Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000  (Read 898 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
(Reuters) - An Alabama man who sued over being hit and kicked by police after leading them on a high-speed chase will get $1,000 in a settlement with the city of Birmingham, while his attorneys will take in $459,000, officials said Wednesday.

The incident gained public attention with the release of a 2008 video of police officers punching and kicking Anthony Warren as he lay on the ground after leading them on a roughly 20-minute high-speed chase.

Warren is serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder stemming from his running over a police officer during the chase, in which he also hit a school bus and a patrol car before crashing and being ejected from his vehicle.

Under the terms of the settlement of Warren's 2009 federal suit, in which he accused five Birmingham police officers of excessive force, his attorneys will receive $100,000 for expenses and $359,000 in fees, said Michael Choy, an attorney representing the officers on behalf of the city.

The agreement was reached last month and approved on Tuesday by the Birmingham City Council.

The city settled to avoid further litigation and the risk of a higher payout, Choy said.

Warren's attorneys, Wendy Brooks Crew, Alyson Hood Rains and Cameron Hogan, did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/23/us-usa-alabama-police-idUSKCN0IC05720141023
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline xfreeper

Re: Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:28:25 pm »
Sounds about right............for the lawyer. Fn bloodsuckers

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »
I'm crying a river about his meager collection.  It won't go very far with the inflated prices at the prison canteen.

8888crybaby
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
the attorney should be in the cage with him

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:22:54 pm »
the attorney should be in the cage with him

Did the attorney run over a cop, crash into a school bus and a police car?  If so, I agree.  Basically, the city got popped for a quarter million because the cops decided to kick the crap out of the perp after they captured him.  That's not very sporting of them, especially if somebody caught it on film.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:54:09 pm »
Did the attorney run over a cop, crash into a school bus and a police car?

You don't see anything wrong with the distribution of the settlement?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »
Did the attorney run over a cop, crash into a school bus and a police car?

You don't see anything wrong with the distribution of the settlement?

I'd have been happiest with zeros all around, sure.  I can see why this was oddly distributed, though.  The guy who "won" is in prison for 20 years.  To have gotten money would have been profiting from his crime, so he really didn't deserve anything.

The lawyer bill seems a tad steep, though, and it's a shame the taxpayers of the town are going to get socked.  Maybe they'll be a bit more tough with their bully cops in the future.
I will NOT comply.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »
I can see why this was oddly distributed, though.

Are you an attorney?

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »
First the guy got beat up by the cops (not that I have much sympathy for him). Then he got robbed by the attorney

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:19:06 pm »
I can see why this was oddly distributed, though.

Are you an attorney?

That was just mean...lol.  No, I'm not.  That was just me being a master of understatement. 

The guy's personal award was severely attenuated because he's in the slammer for 20 long.  I think a quarter million for attorneys was, however, rather excessive.  I think the total award was high because they wanted to make the city/PD feel some pain.  This will probably not survive the appeal process, if there is one.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:44 pm »
First the guy got beat up by the cops (not that I have much sympathy for him). Then he got robbed by the attorney

To clarify:  I don't think the idiot deserved one red cent.  However, the cops should not have kicked his ass once they had him on ice.  They needed to pay for that.  It's not sporting.
I will NOT comply.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:28 pm »
To clarify:  I don't think the idiot deserved one red cent.  However, the cops should not have kicked his ass once they had him on ice.  They needed to pay for that.  It's not sporting.

I agree the guy shouldn't benefit and the cops deserved the hit. The problem I have is the rat s*** attorney making off with the whole ball of wax. All things considered, the whole award should have been directed to some charity with the attorney getting one dollar (like the other crook) for his work

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »
I agree the guy shouldn't benefit and the cops deserved the hit. The problem I have is the rat s*** attorney making off with the whole ball of wax. All things considered, the whole award should have been directed to some charity with the attorney getting one dollar (like the other crook) for his work

I agree 100%.  It's like the legal system was looking around for somebody to give the money to, and decided the bloodsucking lawyers were the only ones with a legitimate claim.  I would have been much happier with a charity, one that battles police brutality. 

BTW, I've been referring to a "quarter million bucks."  I did misread the story, it's $460,000 bucks.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:59:11 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 12:09:10 am »
I understood what you meant re the amt. I said 1 dollar for the attorney because the first perp (the attorney being the second) got a dollar. I see the first perp actually got 1K. I still think the second perp should get 1 dollar though

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:21 am »
I understood what you meant re the amt. I said 1 dollar for the attorney because the first perp (the attorney being the second) got a dollar. I see the first perp actually got 1K. I still think the second perp should get 1 dollar though

I think the attorneys deserve dick.  I think the perps deserve dick.  I think the cops and city need to feel pain.  That's the bottom line.
I will NOT comply.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 02:20:14 am »
agreed