Author Topic: The Death of Erwin Rommel  (Read 4774 times)

Offline PzLdr

The Death of Erwin Rommel
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:57:45 am »
On October 14th, 1944, a German Army Staff car pulled into the drive of a modest home in Herrlingen, Germany. The occupants, Generals Burgdorf and Maisel, had an appointment with the home's owner - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox of North Africa fame.

Rommel was recuperating from wounds received on the Normandy front on July 17th. His car had been strafed by two RAF fighter planes, and Rommel had suffered a fractured skull and other wounds. Rommel had been returning from a visit with some of his subordinates, including SS Oberstgruppenfuehrer Josef "Sepp" Dietrich, commander of the 1st SS Panzer Korps. Rommel had queried Dietrich about whether he, Dietrich, would follow Rommel's order to surrender the Western Front if Hitler ordered him to fight on. Dietrich assured Rommel he would obey Rommel.

Rommel spent some time in the hospital after his wounding. During that time, Oberst Claus von Stauffenburg detonated a bomb at the Wolfsschantze in an attempt to kill Hitler on July the 20th. the attempt failed. Stauffenburg and several of his co-conspirators were shot that night. Others were not so fortunate.

A number were dragged before the People's Court and Roland Freisler to be ridiculed, convicted and sentenced to death. They were executed by hanging with piano wire from meat hooks. Others committed suicide, even if they weren't involved [Field Marshal von Kluge]. At least two mentioned Rommel;Luftwaffe Lt. Col. Cesar von Hofacker, under interrogation, and von Stulpnagel, on the operating table after a failed suicide.

The questions were what did Rommel know, and when did he know it, and how involved was he. Rommel's family always denied he wanted Hitler killed. they said he wanted him arrested and tried. So his involvement in the murder plot is somewhat sketchy [Col. Gen. Eberhardt said in his POW prison [while being surreptiously taped] that Rommel told him Hitler had to die, but that was the only direct evidence that Rommel wanted Hitler dead. What was clear, however, was that after several confrontations with Hitler, during which he urged Hitler in the strongest terms to consider a political solution to the war, Rommel was lining up his field commanders for a mass surrender to the Western Allies, and opening the entire western front.

Rommel's name was then referred to the German Army Court of Honor that decided whether or not to throw officers out of the Army, so they could be prosecuted in the People's Court. Rommel was to be turned over, but for one little problem from the government's point of view. Rommel was one of, if not the most popular figures in Germany. He was certainly the most popular general. So Hitler had to worry about whether putting Rommel on trial might cause the German public to wonder WHY Rommel would be plotting against Hitler.

Thus the visit by Burgdorf and Maisel. Rommel was given two options. Trial by the People's Court, execution to follow, or suicide by cyanide capsule, which they had conveniently brought with them. If Rommel chose trial, the rule of Sippenhaft [punishing the family] would be applied, and Rommel's family would be sent to a Concentration Camp. If he chose suicide, they would be spared, left alone, and Rommel would be given a state funeral, under the pretext of having died from his wounds. Rommel chose suicide.

Rommel then told his wife, Lucy, his son Manfred, and his aide, Aldinger what was going on. He said his farewells, got into the car with the generals, and drove off. Twenty minutes latyer, he was dead.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: The Death of Erwin Rommel
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:23:58 am »
Amazing that Hitler survived, I think it was several attempts on his life, didn't he?  I have a friend who is a great patriot, he is an admirer of Rommel - even named his dachshund after him. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:24:51 am »
Because Rommel was a national hero, Hitler desired to eliminate him quietly, especially after his participation in the Operation Valkryie debacle. He forced Rommel to commit suicide with a cyanide pill, in return for assurances that Rommel's family would not be persecuted following his death. He was given a state funeral, and it was announced that Rommel had succumbed to his injuries from an earlier strafing of his staff car in Normandy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:38:33 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:27:18 am »
Amazing that Hitler survived, I think it was several attempts on his life, didn't he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_attempts_on_Adolf_Hitler

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 05:04:03 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_attempts_on_Adolf_Hitler

OMG.  I didn't know there were so many!

I guess the Devil wasn't done with him yet, still had work to do for him.  Unbelievable!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:16 am »
Amazing that Hitler survived, I think it was several attempts on his life, didn't he?  I have a friend who is a great patriot, he is an admirer of Rommel - even named his dachshund after him. 

Rommel's been my hero since I was a kid. Have him tattooed on my forearm between my Folks and Genghis Khan. Throw a party for his birthday 11/15 every year. Rommel's why I became a tanker back in the day.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:30:57 am »
OMG.  I didn't know there were so many!

I guess the Devil wasn't done with him yet, still had work to do for him.  Unbelievable!

When you are a despot you are a number one target. Joseph Stalin had one and Marshal Tito had five attempts on his life. Concerning Stalin, he had a huge NKVD presence in Soviet Russia he either kill them or sent them into exile. Stalin personally signed the death warrants of his "enemies".

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:38 am »
Rommel's been my hero since I was a kid. Have him tattooed on my forearm between my Folks and Genghis Khan. Throw a party for his birthday 11/15 every year. Rommel's why I became a tanker back in the day.

He was a brilliant strategist. He did earn the respect of the Allied command in Northern Africa.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 05:38:41 am »

That's cool!

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:34:16 pm »
When you are a despot you are a number one target. Joseph Stalin had one and Marshal Tito had five attempts on his life. Concerning Stalin, he had a huge NKVD presence in Soviet Russia he either kill them or sent them into exile. Stalin personally signed the death warrants of his "enemies".

I guess the American people aren't conscious enough to recognize a despot.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:52:53 pm »

Rommel's suicide reminds me of the movie, 'The Green Mile' where John Coffey says, "He kill them with their love. With their love for each other. That's how it is, every day, all over the world. "

That is how it is... every day... all over the world...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »
Just in the last month or so we watched a documentary (I don't recall whether it was on the American Heroes Channel or History Channel) about Rommel and his death. As I recall, he was pretty much apolitical, although he disagreed with Hitler's military strategies.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

SPQR

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 07:17:45 am »
Just in the last month or so we watched a documentary (I don't recall whether it was on the American Heroes Channel or History Channel) about Rommel and his death. As I recall, he was pretty much apolitical, although he disagreed with Hitler's military strategies.

Most of his generals disagreed with his policies. Most of these men came from families with military tradition and fought through WWI and they were getting orders from a man who was an Corporal with an Iron Cross ? Most of these generals came from the Junker military class from Prussia and served in the Kaiser's army.There were the fanatical ones in the ranks

http://www.humanities360.com/index.php/an-overview-of-the-junkers-in-prussia-and-eastern-germany-12948/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:42:23 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 07:33:19 am »
Most of his generals disagreed with his policies. Most of these men came from families with military tradition and fought through WWI and they were getting orders from a man who was an Corporal with an Iron Cross ? Most of these generals came from the Junker military class from Prussia and served in the Kaiser's army.There were the fanatical ones in the ranks

Hitler would push with his arm swing there, swing over there without taking into account logistics. And you wonder why Hitler stayed alive : SS/Gestapo. If you still you want a good account get "The World At War" box set.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:55:28 am by Trigger »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:39 am »

http://www.humanities360.com/index.php/an-overview-of-the-junkers-in-prussia-and-eastern-germany-12948/

Rommel was an exception to the rule, and a maverick to boot. He was neither a Prussian, nor a member of a military family. His father was a math teacher [Rommel picked up his mathematical abilities from his Dad], and Rommel's was a solid middle class family. As a youth, Rommel wanted to be a Zeppelin engineer. It was his father who directed him into the Army as a potential career.

And that career was anything but standard. Rommel had a 'love child' as a Second Lieutenant. Under German Army regs, he couldn't marry the mother because he had insufficient funds to support the family. He supported his daughter all his life, and remained very close to her. His only living grandchild comes through her. There is some evidence that the scarf seen in many of the pictures of Rommel was knitted by her for him.

Rommel proved early on he was no ordinary soldier. He was an aggressive small unit commander who so excelled in combat that he was transferred to the Wurttemburg Mountain battalion [the only one in the Wurttemburg Army], and assigned to the German Alpine Corps. Rommel saw action in Rumania and Italy. He often acted as  field commander for the battalion, and excelled at maneuver warfare. Rommel broke the Italian position at the battle of Caporetto, capturing over 9,000 prisoners, including a number of generals. When several Pour Le Merits were issued to other junior officers, including future Field Marshal Schoerner, Rommel submitted paperwork in support of the medal for himself. He got it - in the mail. Hardly the conduct of a Junker.

Rommel spent the last year of war as a staff officer. He hated it, and avoided staff assignments for the rest of his life [except teaching positions]. He never sought appointment to the Groosere Genrallstab course, nor assignment to any staff. Like Guderian, but unlike most other German generals, he wrote a book, based on his WW I experience, INFANTERIE GREIFT AN, "On Infantry Attacks" [where Guderian's book was a theoretical treatise on tank warfare-Guderian was a Signals officer in WW I], which he used in his lectures at the Dresden War Academy. Rommel also wrote  a second book, Krieg Ohne Haas, "War Without Hate", based on his African experiences during WW II.

Rommel was the ultimate 'line dog', and a detested outsider, in the German Officer Corps. He disobeyed orders when he thought it was necessary [In 1941, the Chief of the General Staff, Halder, sent the General Staff's Ops officer to spy on Rommel. A negative report followed. The spy was Friedrich von Paulus, staff jockey extraordinaire, future commander of the Sixth Army at Stalingrad, and one of the worst field commanders in German history. He lent himself to the publicity machine. He went over Halder's head to Hitler on occasion. But he won.

When it comes to the template of German Generals and Field Marshals, Rommel didn't fit the mold. But his troops loved him, and would follow him anywhere. The people who not only didn't love, nor even like him were the Junkers and, eventually, Adolf Hitler. Between them, they cost him his life.

SPQR

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 09:35:22 am »
Rommel was an exception to the rule, and a maverick to boot. He was neither a Prussian, nor a member of a military family. His father was a math teacher [Rommel picked up his mathematical abilities from his Dad], and Rommel's was a solid middle class family. As a youth, Rommel wanted to be a Zeppelin engineer. It was his father who directed him into the Army as a potential career.

And that career was anything but standard. Rommel had a 'love child' as a Second Lieutenant. Under German Army regs, he couldn't marry the mother because he had insufficient funds to support the family. He supported his daughter all his life, and remained very close to her. His only living grandchild comes through her. There is some evidence that the scarf seen in many of the pictures of Rommel was knitted by her for him.

Rommel proved early on he was no ordinary soldier. He was an aggressive small unit commander who so excelled in combat that he was transferred to the Wurttemburg Mountain battalion [the only one in the Wurttemburg Army], and assigned to the German Alpine Corps. Rommel saw action in Rumania and Italy. He often acted as  field commander for the battalion, and excelled at maneuver warfare. Rommel broke the Italian position at the battle of Caporetto, capturing over 9,000 prisoners, including a number of generals. When several Pour Le Merits were issued to other junior officers, including future Field Marshal Schoerner, Rommel submitted paperwork in support of the medal for himself. He got it - in the mail. Hardly the conduct of a Junker.

Rommel spent the last year of war as a staff officer. He hated it, and avoided staff assignments for the rest of his life [except teaching positions]. He never sought appointment to the Groosere Genrallstab course, nor assignment to any staff. Like Guderian, but unlike most other German generals, he wrote a book, based on his WW I experience, INFANTERIE GREIFT AN, "On Infantry Attacks" [where Guderian's book was a theoretical treatise on tank warfare-Guderian was a Signals officer in WW I], which he used in his lectures at the Dresden War Academy. Rommel also wrote  a second book, Krieg Ohne Haas, "War Without Hate", based on his African experiences during WW II.

Rommel was the ultimate 'line dog', and a detested outsider, in the German Officer Corps. He disobeyed orders when he thought it was necessary [In 1941, the Chief of the General Staff, Halder, sent the General Staff's Ops officer to spy on Rommel. A negative report followed. The spy was Friedrich von Paulus, staff jockey extraordinaire, future commander of the Sixth Army at Stalingrad, and one of the worst field commanders in German history. He lent himself to the publicity machine. He went over Halder's head to Hitler on occasion. But he won.

When it comes to the template of German Generals and Field Marshals, Rommel didn't fit the mold. But his troops loved him, and would follow him anywhere. The people who not only didn't love, nor even like him were the Junkers and, eventually, Adolf Hitler. Between them, they cost him his life.

I agree with you on that front. The Junker class did not like Hitler in particular but they had to keep their mouths shut because there were Gestapo agents everywhere. They did not like a corporal leading their country. Many of them could trace their heritage to Frederick the Great. Yes, Rommel and "Hurrying"Heinz Guderian was the exception in that military class
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:49:39 am by Trigger »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 09:54:29 am »
I agree with you on that front. The Junker class did not like Hitler in particular but they had to keep their mouths shut because there were Gestapo agents everywhere. They did not like a corporal leading their country. Many of them could trace their heritage to Frederick the Great. Yes, Rommel and "Hurrying"Heinz Guderian was the exception in that military class

Except Guderian sat on the Army 'Court of Honor' that dismissed fellow officers so they could be fed to Roland Friesler and the "People's Court". And Guderian was a Junker, and a member of the German General Staff. In fact he was one of the last Chiefs of the German General Staff.

SPQR

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 09:58:35 am »
Except Guderian sat on the Army 'Court of Honor' that dismissed fellow officers so they could be fed to Roland Friesler and the "People's Court". And Guderian was a Junker, and a member of the German General Staff. In fact he was one of the last Chiefs of the German General Staff.

Thanks for the information. I did not know that Guedarian was a Junker.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:58:58 am by Trigger »

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 02:25:02 pm »
Its been a while since I read the book by Desmond Young

But  Rommel wanted Hitler arrested and put on trial for crimes against Germany
He also allegedly protested the actions of the SS division Das reich  in france and burned Hitlers orders to execute captured commandos
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

SPQR

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 02:49:36 pm »
Its been a while since I read the book by Desmond Young

But  Rommel wanted Hitler arrested and put on trial for crimes against Germany
He also allegedly protested the actions of the SS division Das reich  in france and burned Hitlers orders to execute captured commandos

I will be sure to purchase the book :beer: