Author Topic: Why do so many liberals despise Christianity?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline mountaineer

Why do so many liberals despise Christianity?
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »
Why do so many liberals despise Christianity?
Liberals increasingly want to enforce a comprehensive, uniformly secular vision of the human good. And they see alternative visions of the good as increasingly intolerable.
By Damon Linker | October 8, 2014   
The Week
Liberalism seems to have an irrational animus against Christianity. Consider these two stories highlighted in the last week by conservative Christian blogger Rod Dreher.

Item 1: In a widely discussed essay in Slate, author Brian Palmer writes about the prevalence of missionary doctors and nurses in Africa and their crucial role in treating those suffering from Ebola. Palmer tries to be fair-minded, but he nonetheless expresses "ambivalence," "suspicion," and "visceral discomfort" about the fact that these men and women are motivated to make "long-term commitments to address the health problems of poor Africans," to "risk their lives," and to accept poor compensation (and sometimes none at all) because of their Christian faith.

The question is why he considers this a problem.

Palmer mentions a lack of data and an absence of regulatory oversight. But he's honest enough to admit that these aren't the real reasons for his concern. The real reason is that he doesn't believe that missionaries are capable "of separating their religious work from their medical work," even when they vow not to proselytize their patients. And that, in his view, is unacceptable — apparently because he's an atheist and religion creeps him out. As he puts it, rather wanly, "It's great that these people are doing God's work, but do they have to talk about Him so much?"

That overriding distaste for religion leads Palmer to propose a radical corollary to the classical liberal ideal of a separation between church and state — one that goes far beyond politics, narrowly construed. Palmer thinks it's necessary to uphold a separation of "religion and health care."

Item 2: Gordon College, a small Christian school north of Boston, is facing the possibility of having its accreditation revoked by the higher education commission of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, according to an article in the Boston Business Journal. Since accreditation determines a school's eligibility to participate in federal and state financial aid programs, and the eligibility of its students to be accepted into graduate programs and to meet requirements for professional licensure, revoking a school's accreditation is a big deal — and can even be a death sentence.

What has Gordon College done to jeopardize its accreditation? It has chosen to enforce a "life and conduct statement" that forbids "homosexual practice" on campus.

Now, one could imagine a situation in which such a statement might legitimately run afoul of an accreditation board or even anti-discrimination statutes and regulations — if, for example, it stated that being gay is a sign of innate depravity and that students who feel same-sex attraction should be subject to punishment for having such desires.

But that isn't the case here. At all. In accordance with traditional Christian teaching, Gordon College bans all sexual relationships outside of marriage, gay or straight, and it goes out of its way to say that its structures against homosexual acts apply only to behavior and not to same-sex desires or orientation.

The accreditation board is not so much objecting to the college's treatment of gays as it is rejecting the legitimacy of its devoutly Christian sexual beliefs.

The anti-missionary article and the story of Gordon College's troubles are both examples (among many others) of contemporary liberalism's irrational animus against religion in general and traditional forms of Christianity in particular.

My use of the term "irrational animus" isn't arbitrary. The Supreme Court has made "irrational animus" a cornerstone of its jurisprudence on gay rights. A law cannot stand if it can be shown to be motivated by rationally unjustifiable hostility to homosexuals, and on several occasions the court has declared that traditional religious objections to homosexuality are reducible to just such a motive.

But the urge to eliminate Christianity's influence on and legacy within our world can be its own form of irrational animus. The problem is not just the cavalier dismissal of people's long-established beliefs and the ways of life and traditions based on them. The problem is also the dogmatic denial of the beauty and wisdom contained within those beliefs, ways of life, and traditions. (You know, the kind of thing that leads a doctor to risk his life and forego a comfortable stateside livelihood in favor of treating deadly illness in dangerous, impoverished African cities and villages, all out of a love for Jesus Christ.)

Contemporary liberals increasingly think and talk like a class of self-satisfied commissars enforcing a comprehensive, uniformly secular vision of the human good. The idea that someone, somewhere might devote her life to an alternative vision of the good — one that clashes in some respects with liberalism's moral creed — is increasingly intolerable.

That is a betrayal of what's best in the liberal tradition.

Liberals should be pleased and express gratitude when people do good deeds, whether or not those deeds are motivated by faith. They should also be content to give voluntary associations (like religious colleges) wide latitude to orient themselves to visions of the human good rooted in traditions and experiences that transcend liberal modernity — provided they don't clash in a fundamental way with liberal ideals and institutions.

In the end, what we're seeing is an effort to greatly expand the list of beliefs, traditions, and ways of life that fundamentally clash with liberalism. That is an effort that no genuine liberal should want to succeed.

What happened to a liberalism of skepticism, modesty, humility, and openness to conflicting notions of the highest good? What happened to a liberalism of pluralism that recognizes that when people are allowed to search for truth in freedom, they are liable to seek and find it in a multitude of values, beliefs, and traditions? What happened to a liberalism that sees this diversity as one of the finest flowers of a free society rather than a threat to the liberal democratic order?

I don't have answers to these questions — and frankly, not a lot hinges on figuring out how we got here. What matters is that we acknowledge that something in the liberal mind has changed, and that we act to recover what has been lost.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Why do so many liberals despise Christianity?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:06:43 pm »
They don't understand love, only hate.  They confuse "love" with "lust."  They're pretty clear about what they mean by "hate."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:43 pm »
Because American liberals are not really liberal, they are power-mad fascists that are interested in dominating society and getting rich off of other people's labors.  It is sort of like asking why Hitler or Mussolini despised Christianity...the answer is obvious.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:23:24 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:42 pm »

The battle is demonic.

Dragging as many souls to hell is the goal.

It's not difficult given the human propensity for evil...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:36 pm »
Liberals from days gone by (we now have to use the term "classical liberal" to keep things straight) would be appalled at the intolerance, hatred and complete closedmindedness of those of today who falsely adopt the moniker.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:03:18 pm »
Where is the proof that "so many" liberals despise Christianity? How many is "so many?"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:06:56 pm »
It's an opinion piece. The author believes - and has described some instances - that liberals are intolerant of Christianity. Within the piece is a link to a related essay. Would it have helped if he had cited a particular number of hateful liberals? If so, how many would suffice?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:17 pm »
Liberals from days gone by (we now have to use the term "classical liberal" to keep things straight) would be appalled at the intolerance, hatred and complete closedmindedness of those of today who falsely adopt the moniker.

Your Avatar made me hungry...

Mrs. Liberty and I are having hot dogs tonight....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:43:22 am »
It's an opinion piece. The author believes - and has described some instances - that liberals are intolerant of Christianity. Within the piece is a link to a related essay. Would it have helped if he had cited a particular number of hateful liberals? If so, how many would suffice?

There are a lot of left leaning Christians. Making blanket statements and distorting the truth isn't doing anybody any good.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline evadR

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:49 am »
In true Rumsfeld speak, I don't accept your premise.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 03:49:01 am »
The modern, rabid liberal despises Christianity and if they could, would kill every single Christian.  Why?

Christians are the antithesis of everything they stand for and liberals cannot stand any opposition.  It's not just good enough for them to silence it; they must eradicate it just like the Nazis, Soviets, and Chicoms did.

Also, deep down most people know right from wrong, and Christians remind liberals that they are wrong, especially when it comes to morality.  They just cannot stand this which is why anything about God (but strangely enough not Allah) is like sunlight to a vampire.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:40:30 am »
There are a few here who would fall into that category.

SPQR

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 05:37:41 am »
There are a few here who would fall into that category.

I promise I will not name names.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:43 pm »
There are a lot of left leaning Christians. Making blanket statements and distorting the truth isn't doing anybody any good.
I doubt he's talking about left-leaning Christians. Left-leaning Christians do not hate Christianity. I would guess the writer is talking about leftists who,  through the force of law, attempt to limit Christians' rights, e.g., the Gordon College case.

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 05:51:51 pm »

And most left leaning Christians are barely Christians if Christian at all. My own brother is a Democrat, and calls himself Catholic. But has no problem supporting candidates who are "pro choice". That's not cafeteria Christian. That's not a negotiable point for a true Catholic. My brother still believes he's a Catholic.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 06:15:47 pm »
Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses."  That pretty much summarizes the liberal view.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »
Also, deep down most people know right from wrong, and Christians remind liberals that they are wrong, especially when it comes to morality.  They just cannot stand this which is why anything about God (but strangely enough not Allah) is like sunlight to a vampire.

That's because Allah is not God.

The claim that Allah and Jehovah are the same god is simply a lie...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »
Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses."  That pretty much summarizes the liberal view.

It's been well discussed, but I'll summarize it again. :)

Liberals want the ultimate authority to be the state. Christians hold God as the ultimate authority. If rights come from God, liberals cannot freely change them to suit their agenda. If the state is what gives the individual rights, then this frees liberals to do things that they would not imagine doing in a Christian environment.

Liberals are much, much better than conservatives at pushing a message, indoctrination, and employing Alinsky tactics. Liberals have made Republicans toxic. If you tell people you're a Republican, you'll be met with odd looks, and some will actually shun you. Liberals are doing the same thing to religion. I can't tell you how many places online I've read posts belittling Christians and their "invisible friend". I don't hear that so much in person, because someone saying such a thing would at the very least get a dressing down, perhaps more.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »

Maybe, but that statement was intended to point out to rulers a means of control. I am not sure this statement was intended to be anti-religion but rather pro-religion under State control.

Leftists love 'opiate of the masses'. Comedy central, Xbox, iPad, all of this keeps people stupified. It is the modern day soma of the new order.

But have to agree with the others. Liberal's 'freakish hate' of Chistianity is because the teaching at least, if not always the teachers, is moral, enlightening, elevating, and empowering. And Leftist will not tolerate any of these things for the dirty masses.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:39:50 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 06:50:05 pm »
And most left leaning Christians are barely Christians if Christian at all. My own brother is a Democrat, and calls himself Catholic. But has no problem supporting candidates who are "pro choice". That's not cafeteria Christian. That's not a negotiable point for a true Catholic. My brother still believes he's a Catholic.

You don't get to decide who is or isn't a real Christian based on their political views.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »
You don't get to decide who is or isn't a real Christian based on their political views.

Relic didn't do that.  What he said was absolutely true, however.

Anyone calling himself a "Catholic" and supporting abortion, is not a practicing Catholic.  He/she has abandoned something the Church has clearly condemned.

There are plenty of people who are Christians and lean left, but they do so based on the fundamental error that Liberals "care" more than Conservatives do.  It's an outright lie, but they have been so inculcated with that view by academia and don't think enough for themselves, so that they think liberalism and Christianity are compatible, whereas in reality, they are not.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 07:05:39 pm »
If you want a real explosion, mix one part Muslim with any part of Liberalism. But, you better stand back, because it is going to be epic.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:37 pm »

If you can't tell a Christian value from a political view, you shouldn't offer an opinion.
You simply embarrass yourself.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »
Relic didn't do that.  What he said was absolutely true, however.

Anyone calling himself a "Catholic" and supporting abortion, is not a practicing Catholic.  He/she has abandoned something the Church has clearly condemned.

There are plenty of people who are Christians and lean left, but they do so based on the fundamental error that Liberals "care" more than Conservatives do.  It's an outright lie, but they have been so inculcated with that view by academia and don't think enough for themselves, so that they think liberalism and Christianity are compatible, whereas in reality, they are not.
It is so hard to qualify these days to be a "true Christian" or "true conservative."

Few people subscribe to the full list of required beliefs and positions.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 07:33:23 pm »

The church itself is not being very consistent about abortion.  The bloodiest hands in the House belong to Nancy Pelosi, and she's still allowed to take Communion, last I heard.  (I am not a Catholic, so I'm on thin ice here.)  Dittos for a lot of Dems.
I will NOT comply.